May 03, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Author Topic: Average Game Time  (Read 6197 times)

GD360

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Average Game Time
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:25:53 AM »
Just wondering if any playtesters or admins can fill us in on this question.

What's the average playing time?  

Thanks,
G

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Average Game Time
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
Average game time is about 60-75 minutes.  Short games can last 30 minutes. One player may get an early advantage and win quickly.  Long games can last 2 hours, where players are building bases and timid about attacking.

Your first few games will take longer as you learn your spells and all the clever ways you can play them.  After a few games you should be able to play in 60-75 minutes.

Borg

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
60-75min sounds perfect.
I prefer games in the 1-2 hours range with plenty of strategy and tactics, which MW seems to have both.

GD360

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks Arcanas. Looking forward to getting my hands on this (and a cap too!!) at GenCon . I'll be demoing it with my wife and son at 11am on Thursday!!  Can't wait!

We had an amazing time with it last year too!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
Once player get used to build books and playing the game. My group finds the Average tourney style game takes about 50 minutes. I all depends on the play style of the people playing.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »
how did you set a tourney up?  Were you allowed to change spells in between matches?  Also did you know what your next opponent was before you faced them?
\"Guilt resembles a sword with two edges.  On one hand it cuts for justice, imposing practical morality upon those who fear it. But there is another side to that weighted emotion.  Conscience does not always adhere to rational judgement.  Guilt is always a self-imposed burden, not always rightly imposed\" --Drizzt Do\'Urden

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "C0ntAct HiGh" post=231
how did you set a tourney up?  Were you allowed to change spells in between matches?  Also did you know what your next opponent was before you faced them?

The only public official tournaments that have been run are at apprentice level. This is a preset book that is used for the demo and contains about 30 spells. The books were given out randomly to each player. There were no changing out spells between rounds (I expect this rule will stay in place to keep the rounds following.)

Its your job as a Mage to try to anticipate what kind of tools yours opponents will try to use. 120 points was more than enough to plan ahead. My average build was about 90-95 points and 25-30 points of meta cards. As soon as the round starts you would know what mage your opponent is using. Then you go into the first planning phase. Because of this I dont see why it would matter what the other player is playing. Just pic the tools that help you best in any match when you go to build. ( check this out of some common build cards http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/spellbook-design-and-construction/134-list-of-common-spells-needed ) or to continue this It should be moved to the League and tourney play section here http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/league-tournament-play
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
ok thats a good point.  and thanks for the links.
\"Guilt resembles a sword with two edges.  On one hand it cuts for justice, imposing practical morality upon those who fear it. But there is another side to that weighted emotion.  Conscience does not always adhere to rational judgement.  Guilt is always a self-imposed burden, not always rightly imposed\" --Drizzt Do\'Urden

eatmyjustice

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
I've played 5 games... and so far they have all been at least 90-120 minutes.  I was teaching the game for 3 of them so I suspect that game time will drop as we play more.
\"Arthur, that belt is a fashion accessory of evil, and evil is never in fashion.\" - The Tick

Spyre

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Do you know about how many rounds the game lasted?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »
Quote from: "Spyre" post=732
Do you know about how many rounds the game lasted?

Unless somebody turtles the average game should be
8 -10 rounds for a quick game.
11-15 for a medium game
16 - 20 for a long game
If a game goes over 25 rounds I would rethink my strategy and tactics.

As a side note the fastest game we ever played was 4 rounds both players rush to range 2 and just cast attacks over and over. They did not use any armor.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
i have found if you plan an uninteresting and predictable game (attack spells over and over no moving) that the game is over much faster but usually with you loseing)
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=741
i have found if you plan an uninteresting and predictable game (attack spells over and over no moving) that the game is over much faster but usually with you loseing)

I never said that the spell plan was a very good plan. You are correct if you do not protect yourself and focus on attack spells your the person who dies 80% of the time.