May 08, 2024, 02:19:51 AM

Author Topic: Card spoilers so far.  (Read 57257 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Card spoilers so far.
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Those are pretty cool. Thanks sdougla2! Also yeah saw Hurl Rock too. Good stuff.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
The General's Signet ring makes me think that we'll see more discount rings for the mages we already have... !!!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
I didn't mention Hurl Rock because that was already released as a promo, so we know what it does.

I've been worried about how efficiently a Barracks play could get rolling (with the errata to Garrison Post and the additions of the Armory, Altar of Carnage, and Altar of Domination, I'm reasonably certain that Barracks plays can be strong in the late game, but the early game is still a concern), and the General's Signet Ring looks like it will help with that. Particularly since it still benefits you if your opponent burns your Barracks to the ground.

Brace Yourself may help against telepit plays, but I'm not particularly excited about it.

Flank Attack looks like the money command for mid sized soldiers in midrange builds (where it looks like the Warlord will excel). Battle Fury isn't efficient enough to justify on creatures that don't attack for at least 5 dice (or Brogan), and Power Strike often doesn't seem worth the action.

Wildfire Imp makes leaving a Pentagram in your start corner much more appealing, and is going to make me take a very serious look at demon swarm options.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »

Brace Yourself: level 1 war enchantment, Novice, 0 to reveal, Armor +4, destroy Brace Yourself at the end of the round.

Wildfire Imp: level 1 dark creature, 5 mana, 5 life, 0 armor, 1 die attack with Piercing +1. Instead of moving, you can pay 1 mana to teleport to a target zone with an object with a Burn condition on it. Wildfire Imp gains Melee +2 while attacking an object with a Burn condition on it.

General's Signet Ring: level 1 war equipment, Warlord Only, 3 mana, once per round when you or a spawnpoint you control casts a soldier spell, you get a discount of 1.

Flank Attack: level 1 war incantation, command, 3 mana, targets a soldier creature. It's a little hard to make out the wording, but I believe it makes a soldier attacking the same target as another soldier attacked that round get Melee +2 and Piercing +2 for that attack.

It's unfortunate that Brace Yourself is yet ANOTHER Level 1 War spell that is Novice... the War School has too many Novice spells as is, they could use some good enchantments/incantations that aren't novice.

The Wildfire Imps are definitely interesting. Demon Swarm builds will obviously be more viable now. & with that, the Gate to Hell might see some more play to get that Melee +1. The teleport thing they have is awesome.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

It's unfortunate that Brace Yourself is yet ANOTHER Level 1 War spell that is Novice... the War School has too many Novice spells as is, they could use some good enchantments/incantations that aren't novice.

They said they want more of these Novice incantation (you can see it with the holy promo). So we should see soon more and more of them in different school.

If there was a neutral school and these spell would be in the neutral school, you would not mind them. Just because they put it in the war school because their effect is more "warish" doesnt make war school scrap.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
I find the teleport ability of Wildfire Imp amazing! With the new warlock, this mean anything that has a burn token could get a 4 dice piercing +1 attack from the imp. 5 dice if GtH is out (and of course added tons of burns tokens).

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

They said they want more of these Novice incantation (you can see it with the holy promo). So we should see soon more and more of them in different school.

If there was a neutral school and these spell would be in the neutral school, you would not mind them. Just because they put it in the war school because their effect is more "warish" doesnt make war school scrap.

I know they're making more of them in other schools, I just think the War school has gotten the short end of the stick since other schools can use all those novice spells for no penalty. I wasn't trying to say the War school was bad, just that other schools need novice spells as well, which I know they are planning on doing.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

I know they're making more of them in other schools, I just think the War school has gotten the short end of the stick since other schools can use all those novice spells for no penalty. I wasn't trying to say the War school was bad, just that other schools need novice spells as well, which I know they are planning on doing.

What I was saying is, it doesnt matter the school these spells are in. If all the current novice spell would have been Arcane what would it has changed? Nothing.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
I think it is more the other way round. What would be different, if e.g. dissolve and dispel will be novice and some of that war spells not. I think that makes a huge difference.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
I think it is more the other way round. What would be different, if e.g. dissolve and dispel will be novice and some of that war spells not. I think that makes a huge difference.

No its not the other way around. People complain War got more novice spell which hurt the school but it doesnt. It would only if the amount of cards in a school would be fixed by some limit (like a school doesnt get new cards until all oher schol get the same amount).

Example: If Piercing Strike was named Licorn's Charge and was  Nature novice spell, what would be different beside the name and the school icon? Nothing. It would still cost 1 SP to everybody.

So complaining a school get "weaker" because new novice spells get tagged with its icon is pointless.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
Novice really comes into play when it from an Opposing School to the mage in question. As the example Bluebaron pointed too, Dispel or Seeking Dispel (as I could not see Dispel being Novice and Seeking Dispel not be). If it were Novice then a major Achilles Heel for the Warlord would be massively up armored.

The amount of Novice spells in the War schools means that any mage that were to specialize in the War school receives less of in-school benefit due to the Utility nature of the spells that are Novice and therefore "in-school" for all mage specialties.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
No. You look at it the wrong way. You look at novice spell like if they were standard spells. AW could have created a Novice School just for novice spell but instead they integrated them to existing schools.

My english is not good enough to make it more clear... But here is an example:

Most people will say:
Seeking Dispel is an Arcane spell
Power Strike is a Novice spell (they won't say a War spell).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:56:09 PM by Wildhorn »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
The amount of Novice spells in the War schools means that any mage that were to specialize in the War school receives less of in-school benefit due to the Utility nature of the spells that are Novice and therefore "in-school" for all mage specialties.

This is what I was trying to say, sorry if that wasn't apparent. It made sense in my head :P

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:51 PM »
Wildhorn in vacuum what you say is true, but because novice spells can for most purposes be treated like neutral school spell, then ill rephrase it:

The war school is weak because it has so few enchantments, and very little incantations that are war school without being novice.

When this is said, I think its a bit waste of time to discuss the problems of the war mage a couple of weeks before an expansion that is war mage focused hits the streets.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »
to go back on topic, i'd like the original post to mention the cards revealed in the preview video(wildfire imp, hurl rock, flank attack, signet ring, morning star). Yes, even the promo cards, because now we know 100% they are in the expansion. just a note saying the name and a jist about what it does
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid