May 02, 2024, 03:52:19 AM

Author Topic: Harassing the Mana Crystal - Why?  (Read 11552 times)

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Harassing the Mana Crystal - Why?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »
One issue that I think isn't coming up is the advantage that you gain with a higher Channeling over the course of many turns.

It not only lets you cast more spells or higher cost spells but you can also effectively bank that additional mana over the course of several turns to start casting high cost spells quicker.

The idea that a Mana Crystal or Flower doesn't start paying back for six turns is misleading. Lets look at an example using similar mana costs each turn assuming a base channeling of 10

Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left
Turn 2 16 mana - cast 12 mana - 4 left
Turn 3 14 mana - cast 12 mana - 2 left
Turn 4 12 mana - cast 10 mana - 2 left
Turn 5 12 mana - cast 12 mana - 0 left

With Mana Crystals
Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 2 17 mana - cast 12 mana - 5 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 3 17 mana - cast 12 mana - 5 left
Turn 4 17 mana - cast 10 mana - 7 left
Turn 5 19 mana - cast 12 mana - 7 left

With those two Mana Crystals the player has, turn by turn, more flexibility and more mana.

Add a Moonstone Amulet and it gets better
Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left - + 2 Channeling
Turn 2 18 mana - cast 12 mana - 6 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 3 19 mana - cast 12 mana - 7 left
Turn 4 20 mana - cast 10 mana - 10 left
Turn 5 23 mana - cast 12 mana - 11 left

So a very common build of two Mana Flowers/Crystals and a Moonstone Amulet gives a player more mana but also allows the player more flexibility. In the final example the player is able to cast a 20+ cost spell even when casting other spells.

This is why I quite often send creatures out to disrupt my opponent's Channeling buffs. I want to be the person with the mana advantage.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=6370
One issue that I think isn't coming up is the advantage that you gain with a higher Channeling over the course of many turns.

It not only lets you cast more spells or higher cost spells but you can also effectively bank that additional mana over the course of several turns to start casting high cost spells quicker.

The idea that a Mana Crystal or Flower doesn't start paying back for six turns is misleading. Lets look at an example using similar mana costs each turn assuming a base channeling of 10

Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left
Turn 2 16 mana - cast 12 mana - 4 left
Turn 3 14 mana - cast 12 mana - 2 left
Turn 4 12 mana - cast 10 mana - 2 left
Turn 5 12 mana - cast 12 mana - 0 left

With Mana Crystals
Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 2 17 mana - cast 12 mana - 5 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 3 17 mana - cast 12 mana - 5 left
Turn 4 17 mana - cast 10 mana - 7 left
Turn 5 19 mana - cast 12 mana - 7 left

With those two Mana Crystals the player has, turn by turn, more flexibility and more mana.

Add a Moonstone Amulet and it gets better
Turn 1 20 mana - cast 14 mana - 6 left - + 2 Channeling
Turn 2 18 mana - cast 12 mana - 6 left - + 1 Channeling
Turn 3 19 mana - cast 12 mana - 7 left
Turn 4 20 mana - cast 10 mana - 10 left
Turn 5 23 mana - cast 12 mana - 11 left

So a very common build of two Mana Flowers/Crystals and a Moonstone Amulet gives a player more mana but also allows the player more flexibility. In the final example the player is able to cast a 20+ cost spell even when casting other spells.

This is why I quite often send creatures out to disrupt my opponent's Channeling buffs. I want to be the person with the mana advantage.

The Warlord's new war machine (Airko's Hammer or whatever it's called) is going to be REALLY good at taking out Conjurations if that's what you want to do.  It'll only do it every other turn, but it will kill a lot of Conjurations in one hit, especially channeling Conjurations.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »
Sometimes attacking the opponents mana crystal isnt about it being the most strategically sound or efficient plan...sometimes its just about the warm feeling you get when breaking their stuff.

And yeah The Hammer is going to make most Conjurations pretty short term.  At least its Warlord only, the new Ballistas that everyone can spec into decks will be a bit of a hassle as well.   When the expansion comes out Im probably  going to use Moonglow Amulet and Harmonize for my main channel sources (even though its a little more mana each)  because of the new ways to attack conjurations.  At least if its enchantments and equipment the mage will have to commit quick actions and burn up dispels and dissolves to knock them off of me... the new siege instruments do it without the cost of mana nor actions (other than the action and mana to place it obviously)

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
Something that came up earlier in this post was this: "Killing the creature attacking the crystal still costs mana." I feel like this needs to be emphasized, even in the case of a badass crystal killer like the hammer. That combined with the mana a crystal is NOT producing in the turns after its destruction cannot be ignored. A simple way to look at this is to figure out the lifetime mana benefit of the crystal. I like to assume 20 turns in a game (does anyone have an average for how long games take? that seems a bit long) That means a crystal might net you 15 mana over the course of a game.

The sooner you kill that mana crystal, the more of that lifetime mana gain you cut out. If you're not able to kill the crystal, if your opponent spends more mana killing your creature than you spent on the creature you've effectively reduced the total gain from that crystal.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
Two question come to mind when I consider harassing the mana crystal.

How important is it to my strategy to deny my opponent mana?

If I am playing a wizard employing a mana denial strategy then the answer is very important. My goal is to disrupt my opponents strategy through resource denial. If I am playing a beastmaster attempting to swarm my opponent with creatures then it's not very important.

Are those mana crystals important enough to my opponent's strategy to make destroying them worth my effort as opposed to furthering my own strategy?

That is obviously the more difficult question as it is dependent on the situation at hand. To make the right choice requires keen insight into your opponents strategy, or maybe just some good luck.

I believe that the efficiency with which you can destroy the mana crystal, while important is of secondary concern to the necessity of doing it.

Dre2Dee2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
I dont think it's worth it at the moment, at least not with creatures. It just takes too long.

I'm hoping the Warlord will be a bit more viable in this strat, his catapult conjuration should hopefully be more effective in blowing up people's bases  :cheer:

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
Quote from: "Dre2Dee2" post=6587
I dont think it's worth it at the moment, at least not with creatures. It just takes too long.

I'm hoping the Warlord will be a bit more viable in this strat, his catapult conjuration should hopefully be more effective in blowing up people's bases  :cheer:

I tend to agree with your conclusion but for a different reason.

I like to build redundancy into my spellbook. That said, I definately consider mana production a key system. If I was playing a wizard and decided I needed a channeling value of 12 to run my strategy I would add 2-3 mana crystals, 1 moonglow amulet, and 2-3 harmonize to my spellbook. I also would include other equipment that would be high value targets that would make targeting the amulet a tough decision. We can't forget the nullifys in the spell book to protect the equipment. I will likely be running a spawn point too.

The bottom line is that I would offer little resistance to an opponent who thought it was a good idea destroy my mana crystals, perhaps just enough to make him feel they were vital to my strategy. An opponent would need to be dedicated to reducing all my mana production to hinder my strategy that way. Mana denial would probably be a key strategy of that opponent and he would double down with mana denial that doesn't require the destruction of conjurations and equipment.

I think that casual destruction of mana crystals probably isn't worth doing, however if your strategy is mana denial you will want to get around to destroying them sooner or later.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
It also depends on your Mage's preferred damage type and what the Mana source is.

Crystals are Fire Immune, so my Warlock cant casually break it down even if I want to, whereas a Wizard might be able to Bolt it down.
Flowers on the other hand only have 6 health and a 2 dice Fire Vunerability which means even my low cost Flameblast has a good shot at insta killing it.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=6580
Two question come to mind when I consider harassing the mana crystal.

How important is it to my strategy to deny my opponent mana?

If I am playing a wizard employing a mana denial strategy then the answer is very important. My goal is to disrupt my opponents strategy through resource denial. If I am playing a beastmaster attempting to swarm my opponent with creatures then it's not very important.

Are those mana crystals important enough to my opponent's strategy to make destroying them worth my effort as opposed to furthering my own strategy?

That is obviously the more difficult question as it is dependent on the situation at hand. To make the right choice requires keen insight into your opponents strategy, or maybe just some good luck.

I believe that the efficiency with which you can destroy the mana crystal, while important is of secondary concern to the necessity of doing it.

I don't even think that it is worth it if your goal is mana denial.  If you are investing so much into mana denial that you are both playing mana denial cards AND going after their mana generators then you are basically settling in for a long game instead of just going for the win faster.  I think that is just too much of an investment and you are basically spending a lot of your own resources in an attempt to deny your opponent theirs.  

I'm not sold on the whole "spending resources to deny your opponent resources" strategy.  Things like Mana Siphon are nice, but it's really expensive, which means you are denying YOURSELF a good deal of mana in order to deny your opponent some mana...at a much slower pace than the 12 you coughed up right off the bat to cast the Mana Siphon.  Going after Mana Crystals/Flowers are pretty much the same IMO.  You are spending resources to deny resources.  Are you better off dedicating a creature to attacking a Mana Crystal...or the opposing mage?  I'd say the opposing mage, because that's how you win the game.  Are you better off using an attack spell to go after a Mana Flower that may or may not kill it, or using that same spell on the opposing mage?  Again, it's a no brainer for me: hit the enemy mage and put them on the defensive.

When it comes to the mana denial strategy, I think the best way to go is with passive denial.  Things like Mana Leeches and Staff of Arcanum are really nice because you are generating offense at the same time you are denying your opponent mana.  Essence Drain and Pacify can be nice because those mana costs can really add up and they aren't that expensive to cast.  Things like Cloak of Suppression and the Obelisk are nice against creature swarms, but not otherwise.  Mana Drain is decent because you at least have the potential to get a large chunk of your mana spent back.  Mana Siphon is ok as long as you get it out really early, otherwise you may not deny your opponent more mana than you spent yourself to cast it.

But going after Mana Crystals/Flowers?  Not a fan.  You're better off just dedicating those attacks at the enemy mage and trying to win the game.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
Quote from: "Rumsey" post=1984
Just a side note, but you cannot make three move actions with Fast. You can still only move a maximum of twice. It just lets you take a quick action after moving twice. This quick action cannot be another move however.

I know I'm late to the party here, and this is OT, but thanks for this. A few games in and we've been doing this wrong :)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
A Knight of Westlock with Bear Strength (taken with a steal enchantment from my Warlock Opponent) was able to take one of these out in one round on the way to taking said Warlocks head. Mana starvation is a very potent strategy, especially when you are on the +3 mana side of things. Yes it does take some time to recoup the initial mana cost but take it easy one round, say spend 4 or 5 mana total and the next round you are up in the low 20's.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest