May 19, 2024, 10:28:34 AM

Author Topic: Immunity  (Read 6729 times)

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Immunity
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
All plants have Flame+2 and Hydro immunity traits. what if I want extinguish burn markers with hydro spell?
what about poison enchantment (Plagued) attached to nonliving creature, is it legal target?
I think immunity rule needs some corrections.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Immunity
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »
Plague cannot target a nonliving creature because nonliving creatures are immune to poison, and Plague has the poison subtype.

According to the rules as written, you cannot target a Hydro Immune object with a hydro spell, which means that you cannot use water spells to remove burn conditions. I don't think that this makes any thematic sense, but that is what the rules as written say. I would like to see an update to the immunity rules that allowed this interaction, but I'm blanking on how to implement it elegantly.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »
Maybe they could use ta somewhat hydro proof trait (like burn proof on iron golem)...not immune to the damage but the effect(s) of the attack

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
Wow, good catch. I had assumed that immune prevented damage but didn't realize it prevents targeting.

The quick and easy solution is to errata Geyser so that it doesn't target the creature when used to put out fire. "When you cast Geyser you may target the burn tokens on a chosen creature or conjuration. Cancel this attack in step 2 and instead destroy those tokens." The same thing could be done to the extinguish rule, but that's a little trickier because extinguish does 1 minimum die of damage that immune seems like it should prevent. The upside for the extinguish rule is that if done right the erratum stays in the codex and off the cards.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:51:13 AM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
Oh that is interesting.  So a card with 'extinguish' you can't use the extinguish effect to remove burn effects?  I too had thought it was just immune to the negative effects, and especially the damage part.  So I can't cast a water spell at hydro immune and just have it do no damage?  boo  :(

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
Immunity -  is good and bad in that way.

@Ring i have not heard of any plan to change this. We may have some other ways to extinguish without targeting already planned.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
I should never have doubted. Still, it's weird that I can't water my plants. :-)

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Immunity - prevent all damage of this damage type including direct and critical, cannot be affected by spells and abilities, except text with gold font.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:43:36 AM by Hale_32bit »

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
Would be kind of cool if water spells healed plants.  Instead of Hydro immune, Hydro benefit.  Not seriously suggesting they do or change anything just random musings.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Would be kind of cool if water spells healed plants.  Instead of Hydro immune, Hydro benefit.  Not seriously suggesting they do or change anything just random musings.

once the siren hits that would make the water school broken
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »

Because the siren is going to have lots of plants to water and give benefits to?  Or because there will be more water school spells coming out with her?  I think if anything it would make the Druid 'broken'.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »

Because the siren is going to have lots of plants to water and give benefits to?  Or because there will be more water school spells coming out with her?  I think if anything it would make the Druid 'broken'.

This is not the answer you are looking for.  8)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Ring, it would seem simpler to change immunity to allow targetting but no damage or conditions (since removing conditions isn't a condition on the target). 

But I can appreciate that the current immunity wording does have some nice simplicity - nope you can't target me...what about.... nope can't target me....but but... nope can't target me.

Wow, good catch. I had assumed that immune prevented damage but didn't realize it prevents targeting.

The quick and easy solution is to errata Geyser so that it doesn't target the creature when used to put out fire. "When you cast Geyser you may target the burn tokens on a chosen creature or conjuration. Cancel this attack in step 2 and instead destroy those tokens." The same thing could be done to the extinguish rule, but that's a little trickier because extinguish does 1 minimum die of damage that immune seems like it should prevent. The upside for the extinguish rule is that if done right the erratum stays in the codex and off the cards.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
The problem with that would be that it would let you play the promo Plagued on an Iron Golem.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
The problem with that would be that it would let you play the promo Plagued on an Iron Golem.

Ahh I see - plague isn't a condition...