June 02, 2024, 10:56:07 AM

Author Topic: magebane vs dispel&dispel vs nullify  (Read 2523 times)

Kanedio

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
magebane vs dispel&dispel vs nullify
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:00:17 AM »
Hello guys and gals
i've ran into a discussion playing a game yesterday and wanted to hear your opinion about that:
1-if i have a magebane attached to me and want to dispel it do i have to loose the hp even if it is written that i have to take it when the spell is resolved?
2-does nullify protect an enchantment attached to me from an opposing mage's dispel?
English is not my mother language but i hope to be clear about my doubts :)  Thank you in advance

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: magebane vs dispel&dispel vs nullify
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
1) yes, see the mage wars supplement rules
2) no, dispel targets the mage, not the enchantment.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »
Huh. My local group had agreed magebane does not work in that situation, but the rules supplement went the other way on that. Weird.

You still take damage from magebane even if the spell cast destroyed it.

Nullify does not protect against dispel since dispel targets the enchantment and not you. This causes me quite a bit of frustration while playing, so I have had to learn the nuance.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
Huh. My local group had agreed magebane does not work in that situation, but the rules supplement went the other way on that. Weird.

You still take damage from magebane even if the spell cast destroyed it.

Nullify does not protect against dispel since dispel targets the enchantment and not you. This causes me quite a bit of frustration while playing, so I have had to learn the nuance.

The thing with magebane is like, one of the few things in the entire game that is genuinely counter-intuitive overall, rather than merely ambiguous on a precise and technical level. I honestly think they should add to the card text that if it is destroyed it still causes damage, like it says in the rules supplement. Otherwise it would be more consistent if the resolve spell step for dispel was completed first, before magebane can do anything, but if the resolve spell step was completed without any interruption, then magebane would be destroyed immediately at the end of the resolve spell step, and it wouldn't have the chance to do any more damage. Hence the clarification in the supplement that should have been on the card!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »
Hello guys and gals
i've ran into a discussion playing a game yesterday and wanted to hear your opinion about that:
1-if i have a magebane attached to me and want to dispel it do i have to loose the hp even if it is written that i have to take it when the spell is resolved?
2-does nullify protect an enchantment attached to me from an opposing mage's dispel?
English is not my mother language but i hope to be clear about my doubts :)  Thank you in advance

Magebane does do damage if you cast a dispel to remove it.

Nullify only stops spells that target the Mage, Dispel targets the enchantment.