May 10, 2024, 11:42:42 AM

Author Topic: Anvil Throne Rune with cantrip  (Read 3539 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Anvil Throne Rune with cantrip
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
When an equipment got casted Anvil Throne can put a rune on it to get some advantage. When you choose the one with the cantrip trait on it and the equipment gets dissolved the equipment goes back into the spellbook. If you then cast it again, is the cantrip trait still on it?
Normally the runemarker gets lost with the discarded equipment, but in this case the equipment never really gets lost, so the rune should stay on it. I see no reason why not. Or am I missing something?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Throne Rune with cantrip
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
The rune goes away. It may help to think of it like this. You do lose the equipment, it gets destroyed, and the rune on it goes away as well. However, you don't lose the spell. It remains in your mind to be cast again.

In more mechanical terms, the equipment does indeed get destroyed before the card is put back into your spell book, and when you cast it again it is a brand new casting creating a brand new copy of the equipment. It doesn't retain anything from the previous casting.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:28 AM »
The Supplement says: “If a spell with the Cantrip trait would be discarded or destroyed for any reason (including being countered), it is instead returned to its owners spellbook.“.

The rulebook of FiF says: “Rune of Reforging: This equipment gains the Cantrip trait“.

There is no point where it is written that equipment is going the way over your discard pile. As you said cantrip is to be imagined as you would remember the spell to cast it again, then why would you forget it after casting it the second time?  In that picture cantrip = unforgettable = the whole game.

I am not against the idea of cantrip trait only one time, bit so far I still don't see or read why because it is against the idea of cantrip. I find this very controversial as it is ruled.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »
the equipment goes in the spell book... there's no "memory" in the spell book (these are spells no objects in game), so all runes are lost.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 08:55:25 AM »
The Supplement says: “If a spell with the Cantrip trait would be discarded or destroyed for any reason (including being countered), it is instead returned to its owners spellbook.“.

The rulebook of FiF says: “Rune of Reforging: This equipment gains the Cantrip trait“.

There is no point where it is written that equipment is going the way over your discard pile. As you said cantrip is to be imagined as you would remember the spell to cast it again, then why would you forget it after casting it the second time?  In that picture cantrip = unforgettable = the whole game.

I am not against the idea of cantrip trait only one time, bit so far I still don't see or read why because it is against the idea of cantrip. I find this very controversial as it is ruled.

From the FiF rulebook, page ~3, Runesmithing:

"If an equipment object is destroyed, removed from the game, or returned to your spellbook, the Rune is permanently destroyed."

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
I apologize for my inadequate answer, bigfatchef. I was operating from memory and trying to make it thematic. Kharhaz has directed you to the actual rule in question and hopefully that should suffice. I assure you that there is no question or controversy over how to handle this. The rune is definitely destroyed.

In another attempt to make it make thematic sense though, perhaps it would help to remember that the Rune is not a part of the Equipment. It is something that is enhancing the equipment. In this case, the Equipment gains the Cantrip trait, but the rune still lacks the Cantrip trait itself. It would be the same if an Enchantment attached to an Equipment gave the Equipment the Cantrip trait.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
Ok not I get it. Thanks a lot. The idea that the rune itself has the cantrip trait and is attached to the equipment seems logical. Like an enchantment.

I apologize for my inadequate answer, bigfatchef. I was operating from memory and trying to make it thematic. Kharhaz has directed you to the actual rule in question and hopefully that should suffice. I assure you that there is no question or controversy over how to handle this. The rune is definitely destroyed.

In another attempt to make it make thematic sense though, perhaps it would help to remember that the Rune is not a part of the Equipment. It is something that is enhancing the equipment. In this case, the Equipment gains the Cantrip trait, but the rune still lacks the Cantrip trait itself. It would be the same if an Enchantment attached to an Equipment gave the Equipment the Cantrip trait.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
Kharhaz and Zuberi - I'm giving a banana sticker for helping with this question. (I'm wanting to get back into the swing Banana Stickers).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »

Kharhaz and Zuberi - I'm giving a banana sticker for helping with this question. (I'm wanting to get back into the swing Banana Stickers).

Back into the swinging from the trees like the banana sticker-eating monkeys we all are.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.