May 11, 2024, 04:26:56 PM

Author Topic: Trogdor the Burninator  (Read 9735 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Trogdor the Burninator
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Alright, I feel it is time to post my GenCon2015 book and hopefully get some more people interested in playing my favorite mage.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Trogdor the Burninator[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Adramelech Warlock Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1A04]4 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A06]6 x Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]2 x Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]2 x Devil's Trident[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]1 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]2 x Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]2 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]2 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]1 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]2 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]1 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E04]1 x Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E21]1 x Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E17]1 x Force Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]1 x Agony[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]2 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q10]1 x Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q28]1 x Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q14]1 x Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]1 x Combustion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C16]1 x Flaming Hellion[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

First, a little bit of background as to how this book came about. This book was able to get me a  3-2 record at GenCon. The only two losses coming to Nick and Tim who just so happened to be in the championship game. I lost pretty hard to Nick (The Arcane Duels guys got my two wizard matches mixed up, it wasn't as close as my other match) and was almost able to finish Tim off(30 damage/32 life. So close :P) but due to some extraordinarily skilled play, Tim was able to extend his life and weather the storm.

The book I'm posting is where I have ended up from a pretty different starting point (I actually think you can find the original build I made in a forum post buried somewhere.) When my former build wasn't working as well as I would like (I formerly ran adramelech and a few other demons in here as buddies), I began to transition to a solo mage rush style that has some pretty brutal results against a lot of mages. Sometime during the transition/development, I stumbled across Schwenkgott's Face Melter build and was able to take some really nice notes on how to open. I have since come up with probably 8 different openings that weren't along Schwenkgott's formula, but it definitely opened my eyes as to how I can use the beginning of the game to set myself up for a potential 5 or 6 turn end of game. I believe the post here is revision ~30 and has already been through about 10 more experimental builds as I try to find more options for openings other than just solo mage rushdown.

The "generic" opening that all of my other openings are variations of goes like this:
T1[19]: Battle Forge(-8) + Hawkeye Face Down (-2)
T2[18(1)]: Ring of Curses from Forge(-1(-1)) + Akiro's Favor FD(-2) + either another buff to myself  FD(Brace yourself, regrowth, etc) or a curse if they're in range (Marked for Death, Rust, Poisoned blood, etc. Depends on the other mage) (-2)
T3[22(1)]: Assuming they weren't in range for a curse last turn: 2 x Curse FD  (-4)
T4[~25 mana] Fire shaper ring from the forge, reveal hawkeye and appropriate curse(s) and double Fireball during the turn for either 18 or 19 dice of damage depending on choice of curse. Only flip Akiro's if you roll like I tend to do (seriously, some days I swear the dice hate me  ;D) but only after you see the roll. Don't flip it if you roll well.

At this point, it's possible that you have a nearly 20 damage head start + burns on the opponent and can spend the rest of your attack spells burning through whatever defenses they try to put up. This strategy has won me many games, though obviously not all of them. It's because of this that I'm going through and trying to develop alternate strategies that I can still do with this book while keeping open the above Solo Mage rushdown as an option as well. If I can make this book a little less predictable and have an answer for some of the counters that work well against this book (looking at you, healing and Dragonscale Hauberk. Jinx hurts some too if you make even one bad play against a really good player).

Some of the lines of what I'm testing right now for the Thunderdome II include reducing the number of some of the attack spells (I cringed writing that, just so you know.  :P) since it still has plenty of gas to lay down the pain, and increasing some utility enchantments and creatures to go with it. I still have a LOT of practice to do using creatures at all since I am so used to only having to worry about my mage, and because of this I haven't settled on a good creature selection yet.

I think this just about covers everything, hope this helps and maybe we can start to see more of this mage around. She is SUPER fun to play, and I personally like her better than the AC warlock.

When in doubt, kill it with fire.

I'll post an update, but here's the book that I used in the 'Dome II

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Trogdor 3 - The gimpy book that could[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Adramelech Warlock Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1A04]3 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A06]4 x Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]1 x Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]2 x Devil's Trident[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1A02]1 x Dragon's Breath[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A12]1 x Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]2 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO4]1 x Ballista[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]3 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]1 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]2 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]2 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E21]1 x Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E38]1 x Teleport Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E22]2 x Hellfire Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO79]1 x Blur[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q14]1 x Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q10]1 x Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q28]1 x Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q21]1 x Moloch's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO53]1 x Gloves of Skill[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]1 x Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I11]1 x Explode[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C16]2 x Flaming Hellion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C03]1 x Dark Pact Slayer[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:15:52 PM by SharkBait »
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Trogdor the Burninator
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
I really like this style of play (even when I lose to six 7-dice flameblasts in a row) and I'm all for helping you tune it up and find the right creature(s).  Lady-lock is one of my favorite mages also.  The good news is that with the inclusion of a couple of demons you can use all of her traits.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
If you're looking to add creatures I would suggest gargoyle sentry and sersiryx, imp familiar. The sentry for the intercept and the imp for adding a much needed action. You have plenty of curses and flame attacks and the imp gives you another way to get them out. The sentry could be used to protect the imp as well as your fire cannon mage. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

gdieckhaus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
I should also point out that Shark and I played a game with our books online the week before GenCon and in an incredibly fast and nasty match, he won killing me the before my next action killed him.

Gregg
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
This mage is difficult to master and I am happy to see someone being successful with one of the underrated mages ;)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
This mage is difficult to master and I am happy to see someone being successful with one of the underrated mages ;)

She doesn't leave much room for error.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 11:26:49 AM »
I run a quite similar book, problem is the dragonscales and elemental cloaks just take a lot of time of, together with a stun or other defense possibilites you then die rather fast as you have no defense.

I can do a defensive slow variant with battleforge and sersyrix where the main problem is that you are mana starved a bit and you can't cast battleforge and the imp (bad 9channel :(). Usually I can get some more curses up gear myself up, have the magebane and ghoul rot to do a bit of DoT. To survive sersix is usually the first target anyway, i have a few things like stumble, enfeeble, block, fumble to save a bit of time then dragonscale rhino hide and also a devine protection. i also have more wall of bones (all on cost of more attack spells)

I have disarm for range 2 dragonscale/cloak removal and can cast 1 9-10dicefireball then or i go and dissolve with the above protection it often is enough to survive and than do enough damage following rounds. If no antifire equip just 2flameblasts every round.

The issue is, my build is much weaker against unprepared players, but if one knows it yours is impossible to win or am i wrong? I thought this more as a casual deck.

Cool deck though, i am not sure if it is superior to just a fire wizard doing the same, of course flame+1 comes handy but at a cost of 1less channeling and you could opt for a wizardstower with the fire wizard living more room for attack spells from the tower(of course less dmg dies, but gives you actions) and still dissolving/disarming the other mage.

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
Really cool deck! I'm really excited to play more Adramelech Warlock! Definitely going to try this book out :) Thanks for posting

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
The issue is, my build is much weaker against unprepared players, but if one knows it yours is impossible to win or am i wrong? I thought this more as a casual deck.

I've had success against most (note: not all) mages regardless of whether they have actively helped me build this book or not. Sometimes going off script helps a bunch too. Against unprepared players, it's typically over in 6 turns if that. Part of the development that I'm going through right now is figuring out a way to open the game so that I can read what they're doing and either engage full throttle or shoot for more of a midgame strategy. I already know when and how to use the full throttle part, so developing contingencies and extended games is definitely the next step. Dragonscale is not as much of a problem as you might think, mostly because it doesn't typically come out before turn 3, and if it does, I can exchange one of the opening fireballs into a dissolve and still have a pretty devastating opening attack, just drawn out a little longer. Another note on that is 8 dice vs 10 dice still hurts unless you roll poorly.

Cool deck though, i am not sure if it is superior to just a fire wizard doing the same, of course flame+1 comes handy but at a cost of 1less channeling and you could opt for a wizardstower with the fire wizard living more room for attack spells from the tower(of course less dmg dies, but gives you actions) and still dissolving/disarming the other mage

You may be able to run a similar wizard build, but I contend that the style will be different enough.Cheap access to many of the curses are nice. I haven't tried building too many wizards (I really really don't like that mage) but I'm sure someone could come up with a similar wizard if they prefer.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »
The flame +1 is really nice in this case. The opponent always casts armor or something else protective against the build and that +1 die/effect can really win you the game one turn early.

Shark has probably played this book more than most players have played any dark mage. I mean it, he used to do at least 10 matches a week with it. If you have any questions, you should grill him, he probably has a response.

I run a quite similar book, problem is the dragonscales and elemental cloaks just take a lot of time of, together with a stun or other defense possibilites you then die rather fast as you have no defense.

I thought the same thing about the cloak and hauberk. He just doesn't care with all the initial dice he's barreling down on you. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but you'll definitely need a backup plan against this much aggression.

That being said... You all should jump on octgn and beat him in a match.
 ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
then its maybe only our local meta, but usually there is a nullify (ok could come of on some curses) on the mage and probably the dragonscale on turn 3 at least if you start like this, and then you need more than just a dissolve and then elemantal cloak comes... and while thats that early creature or wizardstower or whatever was their start bangs you kind of.

But its mainly that here most run always a dragonscale and a elemental cloak except on the warlord(harshforge), and sometimes even a second dragonscale. with the dragonscales you are on 8dice than if you have marked for death the ring, hawkeye and fireshapper ring. its still quite some dice i agree. and then more damage, but you say heal is a problem

if i meet him :D

coyotecloudchasr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
I am curious how much use you get out of the Elemental Wand considering how many attack spells you run with.  If you use it for a game that would end early then it's just a waste of mana and a (Forge) action.  If you use it for a game that will go really long and you need more attack spells to burn down the mage then I wouldn't think this deck would fare so well against decks having established a strong late game position.
Second question: do you find walls played against you a problem?  If yes, I'm throwing a couple in my deck as this deck is scary :) 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
I am curious how much use you get out of the Elemental Wand considering how many attack spells you run with
Typically, it was there as one of the back up plans, and it was fairly situational. I didn't get much use out of it at GenCon because there wasn't a proliferation of Earth walls. I've been known on occasion to throw surging wave onto the wand as well.

Second question: do you find walls played against you a problem?  If yes, I'm throwing a couple in my deck as this deck is scary

Walls are more of an annoyance than anything. The hammer, boulder, and eagleclaw boots are all options on how I could deal with them and have been fairly successful using those strategies. They don't work in EVERY case, but they cover a majority of cases

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »
.   I still have smoke coming off my wizard three weeks later. He roasted me. I think  I was a couple points from dead, maybe twice. Do not recall if the dice were above, below, or normal for the game. Do you recall? Did you have a kill shot that came up short, or was it a fair roll that That would have to have been much better to stretch for the win?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:02:43 PM by zot »

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Do you recall? Did you have a kill shot that came up short, or was it a fair roll that That would have to have been much better to stretch for the win?

I really don't remember that well. I don't think the dice were exceptionally one way or the other, everything roughly evened out. Though the timing of the down rolls may not have helped much. It was a pretty crazy game