May 08, 2024, 02:21:59 PM

Author Topic: Ending your own Spells?  (Read 3477 times)

Konzik

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Ending your own Spells?
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »
Can you freely end you own spell (the spell that you have casted)? Like summoned Creature or enchantment?

And if yes - when and where does the rulebook state this, cause I can't find it.

It would be useful if the enemy had cast Stone Skin on your creature for example

EDIT: Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong section. If so,please move it to Rules section.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ending your own Spells?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Quote from: "Konzik" post=1811
Can you freely end you own spell (the spell that you have casted)? Like summoned Creature or enchantment?

And if yes - when and where does the rulebook state this, cause I can't find it.

It would be useful if the enemy had cast Stone Skin on your creature for example

EDIT: Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong section. If so,please move it to Rules section.

When you cast a spell, follow these steps in order:
• Cast Spell
• Counter Spell
• Resolve Spell

Can you freely end you own spell (the spell that you have casted)?
 Nope. You can counter it before it resolves or destroy it after it resolves.

Like summoned Creature or enchantment?
 After they resolve Enchantments, equipment, creatures, and conjurations are spells which become objects in the game, remaining in play after they are cast until they are destroyed. The Mage is also considered an object. Incantation and attack spells do not become objects.

I hope this helps
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Konzik

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »
Yes, I understand.

However, I have to ask from the design point of view:

1. Is it ok?
2. Has anyone actually playtested it? Because I suspect that no one did.

For 12 mana I can potentially cast 2 Stone Skins on the opponents Creatures. If I move after the enemy Mage there is a high chance that he or she has low mana and now additionally 2 useless Creatures which cost him 8 mana to upkeep. The game is done at this point and its possible and plausible to end the game even in the 2nd round.

So I think I'm gonna play with freely ending the spells rule. I encourage people to try and test this Stone Skin strategy and see if it checks out?

EDIT: Unless it's the Stone Skins caster who must pay the upkeep. In that case - did I read the rules wrong?

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
the upkeep is for you not the opponent. all enchantment are objects. The stone skin is an object you control. You pay the upkeep. It would be ghastly  undercosted if the upkeep was for the opponent. Essence drain gives the target of the enchantment the Upkeep +2 trait. During the upkeep phase you chose not to pay the upkeep for stone skin and it gets destroyed.

We had this discussion in a game a few days ago.

Hedge

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
Correct
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage