May 06, 2024, 07:42:30 AM

Author Topic: Necromancer - Infamati et obliterati  (Read 4161 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Necromancer - Infamati et obliterati
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
Now that Sardoynx has been previewed, I thought I would share what I have been using to play with him. A book that is built around him is very fun to play, but there are challenges. So here is Shamed and Forgotten

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Infamati et obliterati[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J20]1 x Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]3 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC02]1 x Deathfang[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC11]1 x Ravenous Ghoul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]1 x Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]2 x Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]2 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]2 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]2 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E22]1 x Hellfire Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]3 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E33]1 x Retaliate[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]2 x Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q18]1 x Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI01]1 x Animate Dead[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI07]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI08]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I08]1 x Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]2 x Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

juli

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer - Infamati et obliterati
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »
Hi Sike :)

Very intresting build you have there. Seems like a skellie necro might be viable now.

Would you please tell us some of your preffered openings? I would have no idea how to start with this book.... :/
Also, no reassemble with all those skeletons around? dont you want to "heal" 6 dice for 3 (with ring) mana?

What are the book's strenghts? what has given it trouble so far? Would love to hear a bit more about that :)

Greets Juli

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 04:52:44 PM »
I'm curious as to the strategy too, especially when concerning Sardonyx. When have you found is the best time to bring him out, how do you use him, etc? If you don't mind sharing, of course ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
Well play testing is a bit different than playing. I have built this book around Sardonyx coming out quickly and really taking control of the game. Mort is there to Reconstruct if needed, a Reassemble would be a good addition, but I need to figure out what that should be.

The opening for this one is to get out the Amulet to boost mana early so the Necro can have enough mana for both Sardonyx and an early Drain Soul or two.

A Lord of Fire 3 round opening gives this book fits as you could well imagine. Which is the point of the opening, I am thinking next time that I will bring out a [mwcard=DNC13]Skeletal Archer[/mwcard] and plink on the LoF for a bit and have the mage mediate all the while then hit him with a Drain Soul or two and then bring out Sardonyx. The Warlock(Arraxian Crown) build is quite curse and fire heavy so in reality it is a damage race for him, can he get my mage's life down fast enough that Sardonyx doesn't effect the outcome as this Warlock will double cast [mwcard=MW1I08]Drain Life[/mwcard] and then a Fireball as a finisher. Against other mages I have had more success, but like I said about playtesting, a lot of times it is more of a scenario setup and then what if I did this or that for playtesting. Thus not full games, but to get more of an idea of how he plays, when to play him, and how (not) to play him.

Drain Soul, like I have referenced, is very good and surprisingly the Amulet is very good at ramping your mana bank up to pay for them. I have been thinking about a Wand with a Force Push on it, so I could us a QC to move my mage and still mediate, as sitting still is very tough when those bigs start using their Full Action attacks. I would like to use it on Grizzly's or Kralathor or anything in the 12+ Life range.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
Was this the exact book you would use or are there other cards you can't talk about because of the NDA that were an important part of this book?

I can see how books with the LoF can be a pain, especially without any way to combat flying creatures in this book (besides the Archers). Perhaps throwing a Maim Wings into this book would help with that? I'd be curious to see who ended up winning a fight between Sardonyx and the LoF. LoF has less than half the health but has 3 armor, flying, and a superior attack. But I digress. Mage Wars obviously isn't a battle of just 2 creatures.

I'm not really surprised that the meditation amulet has seen more play lately. I always liked it, especially with the Necromancer.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
With Sardonyx, I played him as if we were released with DvN. The Drain Life/Soul are direct damage spells for big fat flyers quite honestly.

The problem with a LoF opening is that I don't want my book to be solely based on beating LoF and the Warlock. I really do think Sardonyx will be quite good against the Druid and Kralathor and other mid-argo kind of games.

The most interesting thing is the no flying. When flying during his action for a couple of mana went away, I really pushed hard to make him very tough not to be stopped/hindered/pushed around. I'd like to think that Brian created Unstoppable as a result of my exhortations. I was very concerned that he not fall victim to WoT + Push + Push as being level a 8 with no armor, it would be 28 dice of damage and certain death, additionally, not being hindered, by Vine Markers as an example, feels very thematic.