May 16, 2024, 01:12:37 AM

Author Topic: Waiting sucks  (Read 2945 times)

Some_call_me_Tim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Waiting sucks
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
Well I am expecting my copy of Mage Wars and the spell tome today.

Waiting sucks LOL

Some_call_me_Tim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
I have a minor gripe. All the spell cards were packed in what seemed to be random order. Would have been nice if they were alphabetic and by type. Would make organzing easier from the start so you could play sooner.

I got everything unboxed and ready, made a couple of apprentence spellbooks  so I can play.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
Quote from: "Some_call_me_Tim" post=2812
I have a minor gripe. All the spell cards were packed in what seemed to be random order. Would have been nice if they were alphabetic and by type. Would make organzing easier from the start so you could play sooner.

I got everything unboxed and ready, made a couple of apprentence spellbooks  so I can play.

Your gripe seems like a half-question, so I'll answer the implied question.

1) For a game like Mage Wars, while, sure, it would be "nice" if things were pre-sorted for you, it isn't worth the added cost. Collation isn't important to playing the game, and it costs more (sometimes significantly more) to collate the cut cards than to just box them up. AEG, for example, realized this, and stopped collating cards for their games (see: Nightfall, Smash, Legends of the 5 Rings), presumably saving thousands in overall production costs.

2) Your preferred method of "sorting" cards will not be universal. It's not a game worth playing to try and figure out how the majority of people would want those cards sorted for their collections. Do you, as you say, sort them alphabetically? By card type? By spell school? By cost? Or do you take the more reasonable approach and let players open up the game and sort the cards however they want? Tie this in to point #1 and Arcane Wonders made the smart play: They saved money where spending it would have been pointless.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I can explain the method that went into sorting the cards in the core set.

There's basically three sheets that we printed on. Each of these sheets contains 110 cards.

The first two sheet were printed in Alphabetical order. Then the third sheet is all the cards that are in the Core Spell Tome printed in Alphabetical order.

There's one exception, the first twelve or so cards on the first sheet are the cards you need for the Walkthrough.

However, we are trying to figure out ways to make the game more accessible for first time players.

One of the ways we're thinking of doing this is to put the cards into the order of spellbooks. So in order you would have Warlock, Wizard, Beastmaster, Priestess. Also the first cards of those packs would be the apprentice mode cards.

This has the benefit (for first time players), of not having to "build" the pre-built spell books, or even build the pre-built apprentice spellbooks. This way they can just divide up the packs by the mages, and start playing.

Pre-sorted Alpha/Type cards would be useful for players who have played the game already, but our thought is, if you've never played the game before, and you open up the box, we want to make it as EASY as possible to get you started playing. After that, you can sort the cards however you want!

Let us know if you have any other feedback of how we can make the game better for you. We're always listening!