May 16, 2024, 09:02:19 AM

Author Topic: Can this really be true?  (Read 3831 times)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Can this really be true?
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
Hi, Today I played a full equiped Warlock against a Prist.
At the end of the game, at least I thought so, I had the chance to kill her with 7 dice Fire ball followed by a 9 dice melee attack. She had 5 left in health and armor 2. Out of 7 dice from my Fire ball I rolled 6 blanks and one 2, thus no damage. As for my 9 dice melee attack, I roll 9 blank! 9 BLANKS! Ok, the fight is not over yet. An hour later, and after some heal and creature attck back and forth, I have a new chance with my 9 dice melee attack against the Prist. She now got 7 in health. I roll my 9 dice again: all blanks. ALL BLANKS! I could have won if I hadn't given up after that. This game isn't fun any more...

What are the odds? If I do my math right I get this to 1/1.06^(11). Or the chance to roll this is "One out of 94 000 000 000". This is 94 billions. It must be easier to win the jackpot at the lottery every week for a whole year.

Did I mention that I have played this game maybe 10-15 times now and not won one single time. In general I'm  a decent gamer, but in this game are the dice killing me every single time...

Some_call_me_Tim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can this really be true?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
So you going to give up the game because of 1 dice outcome that you most likely never see again?

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »
Quote from: "fas723" post=2703

Did I mention that I have played this game maybe 10-15 times now and not won one single time. In general I'm  a decent gamer, but in this game are the dice killing me every single time...

So you going to give up the game because of 1 dice outcome that you most likely never see again?

Not just one game. This one was just the tip of the ice berg.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
No, but Tim's point is salient; you're just, erm, excuse me, feeling overly butt-hurt over a bad roll, which is a fact of gaming, whatever the game, if it involves dice. D&D characters die to a single bad roll all the time. You can be one roll away from winning a game of Yahtzee for 50 turns and watch your opponent slowly fill his or her card. You can roll poorly and consistently land on Park Place 3 rounds in a row in Monopoly and end up bankrupt.

The appeal to pity fails. EVERYONE rolls bad, sometimes. You ran all those numbers, well...there's something that I expect is even more statistically unlikely than those dice rolls you described; that two players of equal skill can play 15 games with only one of them winning.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Damaor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:31:30 AM »
It's 1 out of 387.420.489
\"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering\"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »
Everybody gets bad rolls but until you roll 5 damage on 36 dice and your target has no armor. I would say its hard for me to sympathize. Because this has happened to me. :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage