May 04, 2024, 08:40:23 PM

Author Topic: Necromancer - Con Caronlinas 2017 Book  (Read 7279 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Necromancer - Con Caronlinas 2017 Book
« on: June 03, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Con Carolinas Necromancer[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]2 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J14]1 x Mana Syphon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ04]1 x Graveyard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]2 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]2 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC24]3 x Zombie Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC22]1 x Zombie Brute[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC14]1 x Skeletal Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]1 x Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC04]2 x Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E27]2 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]2 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]1 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE02]1 x Curse of Decay[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]2 x Curse Item[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE03]1 x Stumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]2 x Theft of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q01]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q09]1 x Wispwillow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]2 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI04]1 x Mend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI01]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I08]1 x Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLI03]1 x Siphon Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]1 x Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]2 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

This is the book I used at the Con Carolinas event hosted by silverclawgrizzly!  With this book I went 3-1

I opened with:
T1 - graveyard, amulet
T2 - deploy minion, mana crystal, leather
T3 - deploy minion, mana crystal, leather
T4 - if they are still not closing the distance deploy archer, and prep brace yourself and seeking dispel or, if they are close enough mana siphon

from there pump out creatures, use cheap spells like seeking dispel, curse item, leather, nullify, lesser teleport, chant of rage, etc to save mana each turn while you can keep them reacting and push the offense.

I counted up the cards I used and the spell book points only came out to 60% of my book.  So literally in 4 games I didnt touch 40% of my book - I used about the same cards every game.  This gives me room to work on the book and take out what isnt necessary to make the book stronger.

The card I was most pleased with, and this was my first time using it in a tournament setting, was Stumble!  I used this card in 3 of the 4 games and it saved me so much damage, allowed me another round to react because I was short on mana at the time, and then take the game back where I wanted it to be. I mainly used it as "I only have 3 or 4 mana but really need to tangle vine or let my zombies get 1 space closer so they will be in striking distance next round...I will just use stumble" and it worked every game.  The turn after I was able to tanglevine the target and take advantage.

Some highlights were:
me dying to the Alfiya dragon :)
Using 2 chant of rage cards to deter a teleport thought spore
using 2 curse items to get rid of dancing scimitar and chest armor
winning 1 game by my necro punching a warlock
winning 1 game by drain life on the forcemaster

The matches I played were against:
1. priest - dragon and clerics (L)
2. lady warlock - solo aggro hellfire lash (W)
3. forcemaster - solo with buddy thoughtspore (W)
3. necromancer - blightheart and boulders (W)

Any questions just comment

Thanks again to Silverclawgrizzly for hosting the event! It was a blast and there were so many good games played with great sportsmanship!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer - Con Caronlinas 2017 Book
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:53:12 AM »
I like Mana syphon play! harmonize graveyard instead of two crystalls? saving space for all the zone exclusives (yard, siphon, idol, deathlock, gravikor 2crystals?) and 1mana.

interessting question: you rely on creature dmg, but only have 1 rust, 1 dissolve and 2 curse items to take care of armor and vet belt and such? How do you kill in that case?

Personal flavor: Deathlock if you run 2 theft of life and a regrowth belt yourself and siphon and drain life and death link. (might go for PBs instead.) and a mend?

I would definitly replace the regrowth belt with a regrowth, you have no BF so it doesnt matter what you hard cast, but you have a lot of enchantment that the oponent dispels maybe and less equipment so he rather runs out of dispel than of dissolve.

Are 2 grey wrath worth it? wouldn't 1 be enough and add another zombie.

I'd drop some of the healing for a ghoul rot but thats flavor too.

Agree stumble can be good in quite some situations if the other mage is not prepared.

Was it timed matches?

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »
I like Mana syphon play! harmonize graveyard instead of two crystalls? saving space for all the zone exclusives (yard, siphon, idol, deathlock, gravikor 2crystals?) and 1mana.

harmonize is a decent option to save zone space but I have never considered it because I dont want to make the graveyard a bigger target than it already is.  Also, I want the benefit on my mage so I can play higher level spells if needed and the graveyard can get a lot of mana each turn the first time any creature dies. Another reason I have 2 crystals is to have the option to play mana syphon whenever I wanted and to pay the upkeep for the 2 wraiths and still be at base channeling.

interessting question: you rely on creature dmg, but only have 1 rust, 1 dissolve and 2 curse items to take care of armor and vet belt and such? How do you kill in that case?

curse item the vet belt, save the second if they play another and dissolve a regrowth belt or chest piece.  I try to save curse item for certain items like vet belt, wands, sunfire amulet, etc.  And i can cast it at range 2 while still being obscured.  The dissolve is a last ditch effort to get rid of armor if they are in my face.

Personal flavor: Deathlock if you run 2 theft of life and a regrowth belt yourself and siphon and drain life and death link. (might go for PBs instead.) and a mend?
Was it timed matches?

Deathlock is a last ditch effort as well.  Drain life I only use if i need to make the damage gap between the other mage and me matter so that it is in my favor. Siphon life I try to reserve to finish off a buddy or do enough damage so that my creature can then come in and make the kill.  Regrowth belt I use only when I'm over half dead and I can make an escape and allow it to do some work.  And mend has never let me down - 1 sbp for 3 dice healing right there as opposed to siphon life for the same amount and 6 mana and 2 sbp.  Both are very situational but 3 mana over 6 mana can make a difference.  Deathlock is only played after most of my other healing cards have been played.

I would definitly replace the regrowth belt with a regrowth, you have no BF so it doesnt matter what you hard cast, but you have a lot of enchantment that the oponent dispels maybe and less equipment so he rather runs out of dispel than of dissolve.

That is a very good point and I will do that!

Yes and no.  This book is an expanded version of my book that used 4 grey wraiths.  It was a fun book but not made for competitive play.  I normally run 1 but 2 is still stretching it.  You get a lot of bang for your buck with these guys, and thats really the only reason I have 2 mana crystals - if both crystals are out I can pay the upkeep and still be at 10 channeling.  If I took one out, yes, I would add more zombies!

I havent run ghoul rot in a necromancer in about a year.  It is a great spell and is costly to get rid of but also to play. But 2 sbp and 6 I find can be used elsewhere - like more zombies for example...I would rather have the actions and dice than 2 damage a turn. But thats just me and I dont really play the DOT game. Its just a card I havent used in a necro in so long that I just dont even consider it anymore.  I run it mostly in AC Warlock books because of curse weaving.

Agree stumble can be good in quite some situations if the other mage is not prepared.

This card surprised me the most! I may even start running 1 copy of fumble as well just to see how it works out too.

Was it timed matches?

60 min matches if I remember correctly and no games went to time.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Matches at Con Carolinas had a 65 minute time limit. None of the matches went to time. My longest match was like 45 or 50 minutes.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »

Was it timed matches?
Well if you think the book is solid, then it must be pretty solid!
I think most people don't run vet belt and like 2-3 chestpieces anymore. Or go mass armor. Have you seen something different?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:50 AM »

curse item the vet belt, save the second if they play another and dissolve a regrowth belt or chest piece.  I try to save curse item for certain items like vet belt, wands, sunfire amulet, etc.  And i can cast it at range 2 while still being obscured.  The dissolve is a last ditch effort to get rid of armor if they are in my face.

Was it timed matches?

Deathlock is a last ditch effort as well.  Drain life I only use if i need to make the damage gap between the other mage and me matter so that it is in my favor. Siphon life I try to reserve to finish off a buddy or do enough damage so that my creature can then come in and make the kill.  Regrowth belt I use only when I'm over half dead and I can make an escape and allow it to do some work.  And mend has never let me down - 1 sbp for 3 dice healing right there as opposed to siphon life for the same amount and 6 mana and 2 sbp.  Both are very situational but 3 mana over 6 mana can make a difference.  Deathlock is only played after most of my other healing cards have been played.

That's a lot of IFs :D I Get the point about the siphons/drain life in timed matches. Just interessting that here you seam to hardly care about the spb but are curious about the ghoul rot.

The problem with your removal is that curse item doesnt work against wands in particular mage wands, any case you will simple dispel it (where a ghoul rot might come in handy before to draw a dispel) or in case of a mage wand and time for the mage just change spell and dispel. Good part you delt two dmg, bad part for it you lost one of your 3 ways to reduce armor/equipment on a strat that is mainly based on creatures dealing the dmg with armor. Curse equipment is really nice, but relying only on it (like only 1 dissolve, no crumble, no acid ball, hardly piercing). Lastly if you dissolve that round you can already act against the target without the stuff, curse equipment is just his choice, if he has multiples he can just drop it taking no dmg and cast a new one - acts like a dissolve just you got no benefit as destruction happens in upkeep and its right away back. You most of the time also overpay.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 05:11:47 AM »

Was it timed matches?

That's a lot of IFs :D I Get the point about the siphons/drain life in timed matches. Just interessting that here you seam to hardly care about the spb but are curious about the ghoul rot.

The problem with your removal is that curse item doesnt work against wands in particular mage wands, any case you will simple dispel it (where a ghoul rot might come in handy before to draw a dispel) or in case of a mage wand and time for the mage just change spell and dispel. Good part you delt two dmg, bad part for it you lost one of your 3 ways to reduce armor/equipment on a strat that is mainly based on creatures dealing the dmg with armor. Curse equipment is really nice, but relying only on it (like only 1 dissolve, no crumble, no acid ball, hardly piercing). Lastly if you dissolve that round you can already act against the target without the stuff, curse equipment is just his choice, if he has multiples he can just drop it taking no dmg and cast a new one - acts like a dissolve just you got no benefit as destruction happens in upkeep and its right away back. You most of the time also overpay.

My main point for curse item is the range 2, same sbp as dissolve, and it gets around nullify. If they drop it to not take damage and play another wand then its not a wasted action on my part. Sure i lost 1 mana instead of dissolve but i kept out of range with the cloak, got them to drop a wand which cost them 2 to 4 mana on average..6 if its a warlords wand.  If it is a dispel wand then i would not curse item it. That is a dissolve target.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
My main point for curse item is the range 2, same sbp as dissolve, and it gets around nullify. If they drop it to not take damage and play another wand then its not a wasted action on my part. Sure i lost 1 mana instead of dissolve but i kept out of range with the cloak, got them to drop a wand which cost them 2 to 4 mana on average..6 if its a warlords wand.  If it is a dispel wand then i would not curse item it. That is a dissolve target.

Warlord will have his Wand with the rune so it just comes back nothing lost at all. And its not about the dispel wand he could still dispel it and only take 2dmg losing a dispel (so same sbp as you) if he has time he can change the spell on the wand. He will only drop it in case he has enough spare power else just a dispel. Which he will have enough as you are not very enchantment heavy. And then he has 2 chests and 1-2 vet belts.

I am not arguing against running two curse equipments! it's mainly you need more than one other armor care like critical strike in case of living, acid ball or more dissolve (like 1 or 2 not 6 more i mean). This is just an experience from my play with dark mages, curse item is a nice add on, but relying almost entirely on it not so sure.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
I understand. And from my view, with a necro, what i have is generally all i need or end up using so i dont run more.

Critical strike  is a good option but if i did include something it would be more rust or acid ball.  Critical strike means running a living creature other than my mage and right now im not doing that.
I could see crit strike on blood demon or the academy demon that adds weaks, both of which i have run before.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
I understand. And from my view, with a necro, what i have is generally all i need or end up using so i dont run more.

Critical strike  is a good option but if i did include something it would be more rust or acid ball.  Critical strike means running a living creature other than my mage and right now im not doing that.
I could see crit strike on blood demon or the academy demon that adds weaks, both of which i have run before.

yeah clear just said in case of living. Which you won't run with necro of course. But rust, an acid ball, one more dissolve or such could be slight bonus for the deck, and i think the 2-4 sbp could be freed

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »

Warlord will have his Wand with the rune so it just comes back nothing lost at all. And its not about the dispel wand he could still dispel it and only take 2dmg losing a dispel (so same sbp as you) if he has time he can change the spell on the wand. He will only drop it in case he has enough spare power else just a dispel. Which he will have enough as you are not very enchantment heavy. And then he has 2 chests and 1-2 vet belts.

I am not arguing against running two curse equipments! it's mainly you need more than one other armor care like critical strike in case of living, acid ball or more dissolve (like 1 or 2 not 6 more i mean). This is just an experience from my play with dark mages, curse item is a nice add on, but relying almost entirely on it not so sure.
Do people still run that much armor? I rarely see that nowadays.
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
I havent played much in the past 2 months but from everything else ive seen i hardly see build like that.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Im not sold on Mana Siphon in this spellbook.

If it´s a 60 min tourney your looking at 10-12 round.Your planning to maybe cast Siphon at round 4, i just think Acid Ball + Hurl Boulder, Pillar of Righteous Flame or even Heal would be better.

Regardless pretty good spellbook :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »

Im not sold on Mana Siphon in this spellbook.

If it´s a 60 min tourney your looking at 10-12 round.Your planning to maybe cast Siphon at round 4, i just think Acid Ball + Hurl Boulder, Pillar of Righteous Flame or even Heal would be better.

Regardless pretty good spellbook :)

Its just fun to play with new spells you dont use much
And thanks

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
And if I hadn't played an Alfiya strategy and instead went with my planned Metatron/Temple of Light, cutting my Priestess to 9 Mana a round really would have limited my options and made the 11 Mana and 2 actions for a crystal and moonglow really frustrating.