May 07, 2024, 05:20:03 AM

Author Topic: MW Battlegrounds Domination Spoilers  (Read 187701 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: MW Battlegrounds What We Know So Far
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
So it isn't a soldier? That is a shame.
There were those on the Playtesting team that wanted him to have that subtype, but it just didn't make sense in the world of Etheria.....

As one of the aforementioned playtesters who wanted it to be a soldier, I should also mention that one of the concerns was that it would be too powerful; Animal and Soldier are arguably the two most useful subtypes in the game, and having both could potentially be too good (though I think it could have been done).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »
Um "conjurations, including v'tar orbs". Are v'tar orbs conjurations?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »
Um "conjurations, including v'tar orbs". Are v'tar orbs conjurations?
Yes, and they are not zone exclusive.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »
Does that mean that they can be Conquered?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2015, 08:23:53 AM »
They cannot be conquered, because they cannot be destroyed.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:47 AM »

Is that grey thing above/behind him supposed to be his tail?  First, I'd expect a nasty guard dog (especially wearing armour) to have its tail bobbed - but I assume that's out-of-favour with humane societies these days.  Second ... what is he? A cross between a black retriever and a spitz?  I've never seen a guard dog with a long fluffy tail that sticks up and curls around like that.

Expecting alt-art promo with a doberman or pit bull or rottweiler or something.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
He's an Etherian Guard Dog. ;-)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
He's an Etherian Guard Dog. ;-)

Touché.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
Expecting alt-art promo with a doberman or pit bull or rottweiler or something.

Don't go there or i'm going to have to sick my cuddly Therapy dog, who is a pit bull on to to sit on your lap, becasue that's what real pit bulls do, is cuddle, and steal your spot on the couch!

No I would be totally cool with an Alt-Art Guard Chihuahua or a Poodle. Those dogs are mean!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
I'll admit that is a weird looking dog. Cool card, gonna use it a lot in some of my books, but weird looking dog.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
Can also be used to guard a Tanglevine/ Stranglevine. Along with an Astral Anchor in the zone, the druid's Kill zone or Wizard's Hydra/Golem pit just became even deadlier!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:02 AM »
Can also be used to guard a Tanglevine/ Stranglevine. Along with an Astral Anchor in the zone, the druid's Kill zone or Wizard's Hydra/Golem pit just became even deadlier!

You still need a conjuration that isn't attached to anything (e.g. not Tanglevine or Stranglevine or Quicksand, etc), as per the card text.   But yes, if you Tanglevine your opponent and have Astral Anchor, plus drop another conjuration (or there's a V'tar Orb), your opponent will have a hard time getting out of the zone, and Guard Dog will protect your other creatures/conjurations.  Wizard's Tower, Garrison Post (or Altar of Dominance?) and various totems or trees come to mind, especially with Redclaw.  Perhaps Redclaw, Animal Kinship and your beastmaster all protected by your pet Guard Dog, where the Guard Dog gets a total of 6 attack, 5 armor and 9 life, while your Beastmaster gets an extra melee +1 and whatever other bonuses (from Animal Kinship).

*edit* Also, a creature can always attack a Tanglevine/Stranglevine attached to itself even if there's a guard in its zone, so you can't really guard the Tanglevine itself (except from creature it isn't attached to).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:28:50 PM by iNano78 »

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »
Right, my mistake, the guarded conjuration cannot be attached to anything. I read too quickly.

Also, I just noticed that Guard dog would cost the same amount of SPB then [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard] for a Dark mage. It seems to me that Guard Dog is a better investment than Cerberus.

With his vigilant trait, he basically gains a Doublestrike every turn (not exactly, but close enough). While Cerberus cannot be pushed, he can be teleported, Knocked Down, Incapacitated, dazed, etc. So, the unmovable trait doesn't perform miracles.
So, in the end, for 9 more mana, all you effectively get is Tough -3 (useful, but not necessary), Piercing +1 and one more strike (maybe). Not the best deal you can have if you ask me.

Go Guard dog! I feel like I'm going to have to make some space for him in  a lot my spellbooks.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
Right, my mistake, the guarded conjuration cannot be attached to anything. I read too quickly.

Also, I just noticed that Guard dog would cost the same amount of SPB then [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard] for a Dark mage. It seems to me that Guard Dog is a better investment than Cerberus.

With his vigilant trait, he basically gains a Doublestrike every turn (not exactly, but close enough). While Cerberus cannot be pushed, he can be teleported, Knocked Down, Incapacitated, dazed, etc. So, the unmovable trait doesn't perform miracles.
So, in the end, for 9 more mana, all you effectively get is Tough -3 (useful, but not necessary), Piercing +1 and one more strike (maybe). Not the best deal you can have if you ask me.

... and a little more than twice the life.

I'm not really trying to advocate for Cerberus, as I haven't found a good use for him myself.  But he does have some pros (as well as cons) when compared to the Guard Dog.  The G-Dog is a lot more susceptible to things like Ghoul Rot and Idol of Pestilence, for instance... which is why I tend to go with [mwcard=MW1C23]Malacoda[/mwcard] to guard my Dark conjurations (generally with Necromancer). Of course, doesn't work in the mirror against another Necromancer, but hey, you can't have everything all the time.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:22:44 PM by iNano78 »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:13 PM »
What I look forward to most is being a tangling druid that uses astral anchor. I'll stranglevine the mage, astral anchor him, and throw down togorah into a bunch of vine snappers which both guard the stranglevine from non-mage creatures and attack the mage.
As long as astral anchor is hidden, you can throw some more zone enchantments in like decoy so that one seeking dispel is unlikely to hit the mark. To reveal astral anchor they will have to waste a teleport.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid