May 03, 2024, 01:59:05 AM

Author Topic: All about Shifratar  (Read 4013 times)

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
All about Shifratar
« on: December 16, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
Hi Mages!
Some questions about new FM's OP qeapon.

1) Shifratar + 3 mana cost + BattleFury = 4 attacks for 2/4 different targets.

2) Shifratar + 3 mana cost + Reach treat = can attack Flying creater and ground.
Sweeping attacks by Flying sreatures can't attack bouth ground and sky because creature must lose flying trate for all attack action to attack ground and it's need to be flying to attack sky.

In case with Shifratar no word about to be Flying, it's only allow mage attack flying. So in one attack action FM can attack Falcon and Beastmaster. It's like Warlock with Lash of Hellfire and BattleFury 1st attack Falcon and then Beastmaster.

3) If all my thoughts above are right, we have nice combo: FM cast BattleFury on himself and can move THEN attacks: pay 3 mana for sweeping trate and for example attack Beastmaster with all melee+, like 8 dices for this attack. Then BM can counterstrike. 4 dices for Falcon and 5 dmg kill him. At the end of attack action BattleFury time! One more 4dices attack for BM and one more 4 dices attack for his Pet- Wolf.

So for 3+5=8 mana we have 3 extra 4dices attacks= 12 dices.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: All about Shifratar
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
Check the Rules Supplement to confirm this, but I believe the ruling on the Sweeping Attack Trait was that it must be applied to the same level as the first attack for any given attack action. i.e. with the Reach trait you could sweep two Flying creatures, but not 'switch levels' to target a creature on the ground. The Battle Fury effect provides another Attack Action so you could switch to ground targets for that Sweeping attack or sweep two Flying creatures again.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
it will be a max of three attacks. because the weapon says once per round a non counterstrike attack gains sweeping trait.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:19:04 AM by zot »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
Actually, you can definitely attack both fliers and non-fliers with a sweeping reach attack AND with battle fury you'll make a total of 4 attacks. Obviously you don't lose the sweeping trait before the last step of the attack, because then you wouldn't be able to sweep at all. You will have it throughout the entire attack action.

The issue with sweeping that wtcannonjr is thinking about regards a flying attacker making a melee sweeping attack. In that situation both targets have to be either flying or non-flying because the attacker can't itself lose the flying trait in the middle of an attack. But with reach you don't have to worry about that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:49:05 AM by Zuberi »

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
the weapon specifically says once per round gain sweeping. how do you get four attacks?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
the weapon specifically says once per round gain sweeping. how do you get four attacks?

The card doesn't say that once per round you make a Sweeping attack.

It says once per round, you can activate the ability to give your attack Sweeping, which is different. If you then find away to use that attack twice (eg: Battle Fury) you now have 2 attacks, each hitting 2 targets.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
paraphrasingish

once per round when you declare a non counter strike attack the weapon gains sweeping for that attack.

so you gain sweeping for exaclty one attack. because of the word - that. it does not gain sweeping for the round.

so the bf extra attack would not gain the sweeping trait.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
If you gain the sweeping trait for exactly one attack, then you would lose it before you could make a second attack WITH the sweeping trait. That would be a very pointless and useless ability. It should be obvious that you have the trait for the entire attack action.

I honestly wish they had used the wording "attack action" here, but this is an Academy card and Academy doesn't really distinguish between the two like Arena does. Sake of simplicity and all that. I actually remember having this very conversation with Matt, the lead designer, about how "attack" is somewhat ambiguous on Academy cards. But since the card would otherwise be useless in this case, I 100% assure you that it definitely gains the trait for the entire attack action.

So you are right that it doesn't gain it for the round, but it does gain it for the entire action, and battle fury's attack is part of the same action.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
ah, that clarifies it. the bf is part of the same action. it used to be a separate attack sequence but you were not allowed to add +x effects twice. I had it that bf was a new attack sequence not a continuation of the first attack.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
No, that was errated at the same time as Hand of Bim Shalla, and Temple of Light (2013?). I think only first printings have that wording? I have copies of all printings, but I know I struggle to find an original text.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
I had believed that bf was a new attack not a continuation of the previous. even though I know it has been changed. I still thought it had a new attack sequence that disallowed previously used bonuses.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Ah, makes sense. No, it disallows previously used bonuses because it's not a new attack action now.