May 13, 2024, 03:42:31 PM

Author Topic: Weird Druid idea  (Read 11327 times)

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Weird Druid idea
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:18:23 AM »
I have this oddball spellbook idea Ive been toying around with but I dont have a lot of people to play with in my small town so I cant really try it out properly to see if it works. The seed of this idea sprout from several duels being decided by some annoying enchantment either player was unable to deal with because they simply ran out of dispells, (and mage wands getting blown up) I figured that if I do a good job at dissolving wands and pack a bunch of enchantments even a paranoid player will eventually run out of dispells.

So I started tinkering with a build forgoing most creatures. First it was a necro, then a jhoktari beastmaster and then finally a druid. My thinking with going druid is that I want to be faster than my oponent and while I can manipulate that with enchantments I like having an innate ability with that effect that I can increase even further with enchanting stuff.

Basicly I just run away from stuff and curse everything in sight. Ive only managed to try this out with a druid once so far, but it seemed to work in some wonky kind of way. That game I was facing a warlord using fire elementals, some skeletons and an iron golem.

I know there are some obvious ways to pull the rug from under my feet with a build like this. But do people usually include spells like purge, destroy magic and harshforge monolith?

Also Id love to hear if a more seasoned player out there think this kind of semi troll build would work, or if its something that only works on newbies who get caught with their pants down?

(I dont have an exact list because Im still in heavy experimentation mode with the idea. But basicly I just cast some protective enchantments up on myself and then try to keep damaging, snaring, or manadraining curses up on my oponent and his creatures. I have mr forest shadow in there in case I need an assasin type creature to support me.)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Druid idea
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

I have this oddball spellbook idea Ive been toying around with but I dont have a lot of people to play with in my small town so I cant really try it out properly to see if it works. The seed of this idea sprout from several duels being decided by some annoying enchantment either player was unable to deal with because they simply ran out of dispells, (and mage wands getting blown up) I figured that if I do a good job at dissolving wands and pack a bunch of enchantments even a paranoid player will eventually run out of dispells.

So I started tinkering with a build forgoing most creatures. First it was a necro, then a jhoktari beastmaster and then finally a druid. My thinking with going druid is that I want to be faster than my oponent and while I can manipulate that with enchantments I like having an innate ability with that effect that I can increase even further with enchanting stuff.

Basicly I just run away from stuff and curse everything in sight. Ive only managed to try this out with a druid once so far, but it seemed to work in some wonky kind of way. That game I was facing a warlord using fire elementals, some skeletons and an iron golem.

I know there are some obvious ways to pull the rug from under my feet with a build like this. But do people usually include spells like purge, destroy magic and harshforge monolith?

Also Id love to hear if a more seasoned player out there think this kind of semi troll build would work, or if its something that only works on newbies who get caught with their pants down?

(I dont have an exact list because Im still in heavy experimentation mode with the idea. But basicly I just cast some protective enchantments up on myself and then try to keep damaging, snaring, or manadraining curses up on my oponent and his creatures. I have mr forest shadow in there in case I need an assasin type creature to support me.)

Switch to the Arraxian crown warlock. He's meant for this sort of strategy. You'll probably want sesiryx, imp familiar for this build, not fellella. (I'm assuming she's why you chose the druid.) Only a warlock works well with the strategy you've described. If you want to try something similar, buffing yourself with enchantments instead of debuffing the opponent with enchantments, try the forcemaster maybe.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
Benefiting from vines hindering and also the surprise of a curse wielding druid may be worth it. Harshforge monolith is going to be in almost every warlord book but it's epic so once you smash it you should be able to control the situation. I recommend 4x enfeeble and 2-3 poisoned blood and 2-3 ghoul rots.

I say stick with druid, vines, channel 10, and innate toughness, and easy dissolving of wands makes her good for this strategy. Ways to inflict bleed would synergize well also, maybe meaning you don't need the ghoul rots, just 4 enfeeble and 3-4 poisoned blood.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »

Benefiting from vines hindering and also the surprise of a curse wielding druid may be worth it. Harshforge monolith is going to be in almost every warlord book but it's epic so once you smash it you should be able to control the situation. I recommend 4x enfeeble and 2-3 poisoned blood and 2-3 ghoul rots.

I say stick with druid, vines, channel 10, and innate toughness, and easy dissolving of wands makes her good for this strategy. Ways to inflict bleed would synergize well also, maybe meaning you don't need the ghoul rots, just 4 enfeeble and 3-4 poisoned blood.

She doesn't have innate toughness. She actually starts with 9 channeling, treebond increases her channeling to 10. And maybe it's worth it for the surprise, but i don't think it will generally work well against people who have played against it before. The whole reason it's so surprising in the first place is BECAUSE the druid's abilities are not optimal for this strategy.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I'm going to assume every druid plays a tree to bond with on turn 1. And that bond gives channeling 10 and effective regeneration of 2 because of lifelink combined with the trees regen. And druid gets barkskin, so yes, druid is innatly one of the toughest mages in the game. Arguably the toughest.

Maybe we are defining "innately" differently? But for me innately includes treebond's benefits.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Weird Druid idea
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
Innate and tough are specific terms with specific definitions. Innate traits are traits that an object has before any modifications. Generally speaking an innate trait comes on the card when it first comes into play, but not always.

Tough +/- X means that effect die rolls have x subtracted from them when this object is attacked.

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! :)

I chose the druid primarily for the vines. I also found myself with more points to spare using the druid because of cheap dispells and because I rely just as much on nature enchanments as on curses. I also like adding some pacify and not going dark mage means not paying tripple for those. But I will have a more clear idea of the points when I manage to fine tune the build (and evaluate if the druid is the best mage for it) :)

And yes, I count on opening with the vine tree as standard. I did include faela in my first druid atempt of this build. But she ate a ghoul rot immediately. Im not sure if shes worth the mana or not.
At any rate Im also not sure I even need a third hand to help casting stuff. As I said the game I have to go on so far I was facing a warlock (this was pre FiF release) using a moderate amount of summoning. A fire elemental, a skeletal archer, a skeletal knight and an iron golem. They chased me around all game not managing to do any damage, (or rather not managing to catch me).

I hope I get a chanse to try dealing with a harshforge monolith soon and various strategys that work.
I realise its a gimmiky build and that you can easily adapt your spellbook to deal with it. But on the other hand I like using different spellbooks. How much are you prepared to modify your standard spellbooks because one guy you play with has this one spellbook that does weird things? ;3
The concept is basicly something Ive been doing for years in my local mtg group. (we play a lot of EDH/commander). Since most spellbooks pack some defenses againts certain card types that can be annoying I like building decks that ignore certain card types all together. If I ignore creatures, or enchantments or some card type entierly, not only will my oponents have cards that are useless against me, but they are also likely to still use those cards on my oponents who do include those kinds of cards. (But thats a multiplayer thing).

Anyway I hope I can get the idea to work. The main goal of the deck is to spread despair. What do you do when you run out of dispells and the annoying druid keep piling on curses on you and nature buffs on herself while dancing around like a leaf in the wind.  ;D

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
Innate and tough are specific terms with specific definitions. Innate traits are traits that an object has before any modifications. Generally speaking an innate trait comes on the card when it first comes into play, but not always.

Tough +/- X means that effect die rolls have x subtracted from them when this object is attacked.
Sorry I didn't mean this words as game terms. I meant Druid has a lot of built-in durability. :)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
go for it vargg.

Great idea really. I love these out of the box innovative ideas.

I actually can see this 1 work.

And I agree with boomfrog. Druid is THE most durable mage in the game.
She can stack armor to new heigths and the treebond is just awesome.
And this is innate toughness because she will summon a tree round 1 all day everyday daddy was a DJ.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
Taking Enchanters Wardstone to a new level :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
Yea wardstones are definetly in. :3

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Eh, wardstone is not that great. Unless they must dispel your enchant immediately every time every turn, but that's rarely the case. Usually you'd get more benefit out of a simple mana crystal and using your mana to cast more enchants. I don't think you need to load them down with a million curses, poison blood and some kind of ongoing damage should be enough.

Have a plan B vs necromancers btw.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »
Wardstone pays off after 2 destroyed enchantments making Dispels cost more and screwing with the enemies plan! Besides that it draws attention and their ability stack afaik (thus 2 of them will really be painful forcing the opponent to act immediately)

Maybe I miss out something, what is your point against wardstones?
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
Good point with necros. Altho mage bane and chains of agony still work. (Necros dont tend to move around that much tho). So back to bleed effects. :) Hmm... is there any decent creature besides makunda?
Or perhaps its better to grab some ignites stick em in a mage wand and maby try to have enough points for an Adramelechs Touch or two? That stays within the curse theme.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 04:51:21 PM »
Fire cost druid triple and touch isn't efficient with less then 3 burns. Necro can help of bleeds unless you use deathlock. Maybe falcon+hunting bow+death lock?