May 06, 2024, 05:39:34 AM

Author Topic: Forcefield and Guarding  (Read 6276 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Forcefield and Guarding
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:37 AM »
Does a guarding Forcemaster with a Forcefield counterstrike since the attack is cancelled?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Forcefield and Guarding
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »
Attack ends, so no counterstrike.

From the FAQ:
If the attack is canceled with Forcefield, skip the remaining Steps of that attack;
• Skip the Avoid Attack Step (a Block enchantment will not be forced to be revealed)
• Skip the Roll Dice Step, and Assign Damage and Effects Steps. No damage or effects will occur.
Skip the Damage Barrier and Counterstrike Steps. However a Guard marker is still removed.
Note: The forcefield only cancels one attack, not the entire attack action. If the attack action makes multiple attacks, proceed with those additional attacks as normal. Unless the Forcefield cancels one of those attacks, they could trigger the Steps above as normal. If Forcefield has no more tokens on it, it remains in play attached to the Mage, it just won’t be able to cancel any more attacks (until it gets another Forcefield token next Upkeep Phase).

Successful Defenses on the other hand specifically says: skip to step 5 additional strikes.
This would result in a counterstrike in step 7.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Attack ends, so no counterstrike.

From the FAQ:
If the attack is canceled with Forcefield, skip the remaining Steps of that attack;
• Skip the Avoid Attack Step (a Block enchantment will not be forced to be revealed)
• Skip the Roll Dice Step, and Assign Damage and Effects Steps. No damage or effects will occur.
Skip the Damage Barrier and Counterstrike Steps. However a Guard marker is still removed.
Note: The forcefield only cancels one attack, not the entire attack action. If the attack action makes multiple attacks, proceed with those additional attacks as normal. Unless the Forcefield cancels one of those attacks, they could trigger the Steps above as normal. If Forcefield has no more tokens on it, it remains in play attached to the Mage, it just won’t be able to cancel any more attacks (until it gets another Forcefield token next Upkeep Phase).

Successful Defenses on the other hand specifically says: skip to step 5 additional strikes.
This would result in a counterstrike in step 7.

Nice work and worth a sticker
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
Apologies for the thread necro, but I would otherwise start a new thread with the same title regarding the opposite question - so I figured might as well put them both in the same place for future searches.

If a Forcemaster with a [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] having at least 1 Forcefield token on it attacks a guarding creature (that is not destroyed or incapacitated, etc, by this attack), does the guarding creature's counterattack bypass the Forcefield, or is a Forcefield token removed, canceling the counterattack?

*edit* Upon further rules review, I think I can answer my own question:
Pg 28 under Counterstrike:
Quote from: Official Rules, web version 3.3
Counterstrike follows the normal attack process,
starting with Step 1: Declare Attack, but it always
skips Step 7 (Counterstrike).

Since a counterstrike starts with Step 1 (Declare Attack), it proceeds through Step 2 (Avoid Attack), allowing the [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] to trigger and cancel the (counter)attack.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:32:07 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
The Forcefield will absorb the attack and you would then remove the last remaining Forcefield token.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »

Apologies for the thread necro, but I would otherwise start a new thread with the same title regarding the opposite question - so I figured might as well put them both in the same place for future searches.

If a Forcemaster with a [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] having at least 1 Forcefield token on it attacks a guarding creature (that is not destroyed or incapacitated, etc, by this attack), does the guarding creature's counterattack bypass the Forcefield, or is a Forcefield token removed, canceling the counterattack?

*edit* Upon further rules review, I think I can answer my own question:
Pg 28 under Counterstrike:
Quote from: Official Rules, web version 3.3
Counterstrike follows the normal attack process,
starting with Step 1: Declare Attack, but it always
skips Step 7 (Counterstrike).

Since a counterstrike starts with Step 1 (Declare Attack), it proceeds through Step 2 (Avoid Attack), allowing the [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] to trigger and cancel the (counter)attack.

Just want to point out that forcefield tokens are removed before the avoid attacks step, not during.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Felix_s_Becker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
So in my last game the question arose if a Forcefield cancels a Damage Barrier. We decided yes, but now i am not so sure anymore, since the damage barrier skips the avoid attack step. But we thaught since its an attack it would be cancelled. Any infos on how it is supposed to work?

just realised that this exact question is discussed in this thread: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15223.15
so plz ignore  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:06:20 PM by Felix_s_Becker »

Wouter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »
And if you play knockdown on the forcemaster and then attack him, is the forcefield still up?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
Forcefield is not a defense and is not affected by incapacitation in any way, if that is your question.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »
And if you play knockdown on the forcemaster and then attack him, is the forcefield still up?
I'm not an official, so correct me if I'm wrong but in this case the Forcemaster becomes incapacitated because of the Knockdown but his Forceshield is still up.

When you Knockdown a creature it only loses traits and abilities that were on the creature itself like the Guardian Angel losing its Flying trait and Defense ability.
If there was for instance a Block on the Angel, that would still be active.

PS Zuberi answered the question while I was typing. :)