Mage Wars > Alternative Play

Any official variants to speed up a game?

(1/3) > >>

theduke850:
I've been reading some of the player reviews coming out and really the only recurring complaint/concern is that the game takes too long to play... or longer than what they feel the game should take (personally I don't have an issue with the game length)

anyway, as the topic asks, are there any variants that help speed up the game?

My thoughts are:
1. put a timer on the planning phase
2. start with lower health
3. put a timer on the whole game - player with the least damage at the end wins (I believe that is how some of the tournaments have been done)

any other ideas?

Gigan:
For our demos and tournaments, we held games to 50 min.  Mages all had the same channeling (10) and health (20).  There were no special ability cards used for the Mages.  The board was also half the size of the full game.

We definitely had a lot of people finish before the 50 min. were up.

stadi:
This is of course not official, but I thought of something like this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10132254#10132254

- After round 10 15 and 18 there comes an earthquake that damages everything.
- After round 10 and 15 both mages receive 15-15 extra mana
- After round x and y both mages get some direct damage.
- After round x healing spells cost double (this might need some extra balancing because of the priestess)
- etc...

Jon.Ambriz:
I have played at the last couple of demo tournaments that MW had at Gen Con the last two years, and having a timer really does make the game go by a lot faster. Players have to think more quickly and get through the turns a lot faster than a casual game. 50 minutes feels way to short in my mind for tournament play, but then again, having to think on the fly is a much better idea.

Looking at those effects stadi that seems to not go with the flow of the Arena. The rounds go by fairly quickly and on those rounds where an earthquake occurred, then that could screw up a well thought out strategy that a player had been building from an earlier round, or be the deciding factor between a Mage surviving one round, or dying before the Planning phase could be complete (I am basing this on the assumption that if an arena wide attack were to occur, the Upkeep phase would be the phase to do said action in).

Rumsey:
Or you could just walk by and randomly kick their table.  Earthquake right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version