May 12, 2024, 01:38:54 AM

Author Topic: Spiked Pit (Domination terrain)  (Read 10216 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Spiked Pit (Domination terrain)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
In this case, you have two effects triggered by the same thing. One of those is uncontrolled. So, Zuberi is correct. Initiative is used to break timing issues like this.

Just to make things clear for everyone then, if a creature has 2 life after damage left and has a regrowth and a ghoul rot on them, this doesn't count as a timing issue, and it's still decided by the creature's controller, not by player with initiative?
normal upkeep situation, the afected creature's controler chooses.

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Thank you all for the full clarification.

@Sailor Vulcan and Exid

The Arena rulebook is perfectly clear. See page 7 and the Codex entry on Initiative:

"You always choose the order in
which events that affect your
creatures and objects occur
during this phase. In the rare
case that a timing issue occurs,
the player with the initiative
decides the order.
Example: You control a Highland
Unicorn with the Regenerate 2 trait
that has a Burn marker on it. Since
the creature has a lot of damage on
it, the Burn effect could destroy
it. You can choose to resolve the
Regenerate  trait  first  or  the  Burn
condition first."

"Initiative
Players take turns having the initiative, which is noted with an
initiative marker. Whoever has the initiative gets to use their
quickcastaction first during a Quickcast Phase, and gets to
take the first Action Phase during the Action Stage. Also, it is
used to resolve any timing issues."

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
In this case, you have two effects triggered by the same thing. One of those is uncontrolled. So, Zuberi is correct. Initiative is used to break timing issues like this.

but i don't find the rule on which he stands to say that the personne with the initiative will choose...

The Codex entry for Initiative is the best place I can think of to point you to, because anything else would be describing how the general rule is applied to a specific situation, such as page 7 is talking about the Upkeep Phase, and you'll say it doesn't apply here. So, the general rule is that Initiative is used to resolve ANY timing issues. This statement is a little vague, but you've had official confirmation from Arcane Wonders by way of Laddinfance now with my interpretation of it to mean that the person with Initiative would choose in this situation. There's really no other way to interpret it that I can see, since a neutral Initiative does not exist. Such a thing is never hinted at anywhere in the rules, and you thinking it's a good idea does not make it a part of the game. If you can think of an alternative way to interpret how Initiative would resolve this issue, a way that is actually supported by the rules, then I would love to discuss that with you, but otherwise you have the answer. You are of course also free to make any houserules that you want for your own plays.

Just to make things clear for everyone then, if a creature has 2 life after damage left and has a regrowth and a ghoul rot on them, this doesn't count as a timing issue, and it's still decided by the creature's controller, not by player with initiative?

Both effects would be decided by the controller of the creature. Timing issues actually are fairly rare, like the rulebook says.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »

but i don't find the rule on which he stands to say that the personne with the initiative will choose...

The Codex entry for Initiative is the best place I can think of to point you to, because anything else would be describing how the general rule is applied to a specific situation, such as page 7 is talking about the Upkeep Phase, and you'll say it doesn't apply here. So, the general rule is that Initiative is used to resolve ANY timing issues. This statement is a little vague, but you've had official confirmation from Arcane Wonders by way of Laddinfance now with my interpretation of it to mean that the person with Initiative would choose in this situation. There's really no other way to interpret it that I can see, since a neutral Initiative does not exist. Such a thing is never hinted at anywhere in the rules, and you thinking it's a good idea does not make it a part of the game. If you can think of an alternative way to interpret how Initiative would resolve this issue, a way that is actually supported by the rules, then I would love to discuss that with you, but otherwise you have the answer. You are of course also free to make any houserules that you want for your own plays.

I have the official answer: the personne with initiative decides if there's a timing problem and the rule "initiative going first" can't apply.
But this rulling doesn't come from the rules! The fact that the initiative is "used to resolve any timing issues" doesn't imply that the person with initiative will choose (this person could flip a coin, he could ask the player on his left to choose, he could choose with a condition,...).

What i say is that Laddinfance's rulling solves a rull blank and should be added in the supplement.
(my idea to have a neutral initiative seems more logical to me... but as you say it's not me to decide!)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
I agree that this specific application of the general principal is not currently mentioned specifically in the rules and could have a place in the Supplement. Other than Laddinfance's confirmation, my answer was extrapolating a little bit based upon how it is handled elsewhere in the game.