May 13, 2024, 07:45:39 PM

Author Topic: All Priestess and Warlock cards spoiled  (Read 9598 times)

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Priestess and Warlock cards spoiled
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
I personally think in tournament play that restore is hideous.

If the match goes to time, as a holy mage, I will prepare restore and heal to swing my damage to life ratio by ~15. This will get a modified win in most cases.

I petition for this card to have the following errata in the target bar: Non-mage Living Creature.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:19:45 PM by Beldin »

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
I personally think in tournament play that restore is hideous.

If the match goes to time, as a holy mage, I will prepare restore and heal to swing my damage to life ratio by ~15. This will get a modified win in most cases.

I petition for this card to have the following errata in the target bar: Non-mage Living Creature.

It'd be significantly easier to modify the tournament rules ;). I'm personally in favor of both mages getting just a draw if neither dies.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »
Why though? Basically, what you're saying is that there's no point to play a holy mage in a tournament if you're taking away one of its strengths. If you see/know you're playing a Priest/Priestess and know this is an option, you've got to prepare for it. Jinx, Reverse Magic, Nullify could all be played ahead of time or don't let the Holy mage survive long enough for it to go to time.

Restore/Heal/Sunfire Amulet...these are are all aspects of the game that have to be dealt with and to me there's no way this leads to anything overpowered because they can't be played in a massive chain. At most, a holy mage can gain 19 life on avg at the very end of the game IF and only IF you're out of range to stop both actions. There's no way they can cast both of those spells without you having a chance in between to stop it via Quickcast.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 09:21:18 PM »
There's also Deathlock and Poisoned Blood.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:15 PM »
   I am hoping for ties to count 1 point and outright wins 3-4 points. so ties would be really bad for folks. and both players get the tie value. no winner declared in a tie. would force players to play to win instead of play for tie.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
   I am hoping for ties to count 1 point and outright wins 3-4 points. so ties would be really bad for folks. and both players get the tie value. no winner declared in a tie. would force players to play to win instead of play for tie.

This is exactly my reasoning behind wanting to eliminate the "modified win"
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
and to take it step further, you can say that no one gets to the tourney without having won at least one game. so no one makes it in on just ties.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 01:39:56 PM »
An enchantment can't be attached to an illegal target. You have to remember that enchantments are targeting an object or zone all the time.

Not trying to sound rude. I can't find anywhere in the rules that say enchantments are targeting all the time, only rules about it's initial target. Could you point me in the right direction?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
With regards to tournament rules, I'd go 5 points for a KO win, 3 points for modified win, and then 1 point if you're alive at the end of time. Yes, this would put draws and a modified loss on equal footing but draws are so uncommon that it shouldn't be an issue.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »
Quote from: Rulebook v4 p. 18
Enchantments are always attached to their target. Place the
attached enchantment beneath the target object, but don’t cover it completely (so both players can see all attached spells). An attached enchantment moves with the target. If the target is destroyed, all attached spells are also destroyed. Some enchantments target, and are attached to, a zone. Simply place the spell face down in the target zone.
Rules specifically mention target, not an object enchantment is attached to, when speaking about enchantments.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
With regards to tournament rules, I'd go 5 points for a KO win, 3 points for modified win, and then 1 point if you're alive at the end of time. Yes, this would put draws and a modified loss on equal footing but draws are so uncommon that it shouldn't be an issue.

what do you mean by modified win? a draw is a draw. both players should get the same points. I know we have had mod wins in the past. when time is called, it has been whoever has the most life left wins. but perhaps we should consider it a full draw. and 2 ties should not exceed one win.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
I don't like calling a match where someone is winning at the time limit a draw, hence modified win.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
The fact about mage wars arena is that every once in a while a game will take more than 75 minutes unless it is cut short. On the one hand, modified wins are good when there is a clear "this player is going to win this game no matter what if the game continues" situation. On the other hand, it is not always that clear. Sometimes the player with the lower life after damage has a huge board advantage and if given enough time would make a comeback and probably win. Other times the players are neck and neck right up until the time is called, and a modified win would just be down to initiative.

To be honest, I think if we want arena tournaments to be more fair in regards to this, we need some combination of the following:
-more time
-more space
-use time limits on the planning phase rather than on the whole game.
-instead of waiting for everyone to finish their games before starting their next round, there should be no rounds. They should be able to just start their next games as soon as they're done with their prior games. That way shorter games compensate for longer ones.
-Instead of waiting until the end to tally up the score and start eliminating people, you could just eliminate people when their loss count gets too high. Set up the number of games in swiss play that each participant plays so that, after swiss play is done, the chances of there needing to be a tiebreaker game before single elimination is extremely low. I just went on the statistics subreddit and asked for help with this: https://www.reddit.com/r/statistics/comments/4me9en/what_is_the_probability_that_there_will_be_a/

EDIT: Solved it. I tried to calculate it with modified wins by mistake. When you remove modified wins, then in order to avoid tiebreaker games before single elimination play, you just need the number of swiss rounds to be a multiple of 3.

EDIT: I think I'm getting a bit off topic here, and this deserves its own thread.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:04:10 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.