May 02, 2024, 01:47:31 PM

Author Topic: Trying to form a group in South Eastern PA  (Read 38113 times)

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Trying to form a group in South Eastern PA
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
My friend and I are trying to form a Mage Wars group/league in South Eastern PA. We are going to hold our first get together at The Games Keep in West Chester PA on Saturday May 25th starting at 12pm. This first gathering will be a casual event to meet other local players and have a few friendly games. So grab your copy of Mage Wars and come out and join us!

Please let me know if you are planning on making it out on the 25th by posting below so we can make sure we have enough space. Any questions you might have can also go below. If you can’t attend May 25th but are still interested in playing Mage Wars with us, let me know so we can figure out how many interested players there are in the area and figure out the best days to run future events. Thanks and I look forward to seeing some new faces in the arena!

Store Information:
The Games Keep
929 South High St, Parkway Center
West Chester, PA 19382
484-905-5533
Mon-Tue: closed, Wed: noon - 8pm, Thu-Sat: noon - 10pm, Sun: 2-8pm

This event has also been posted on Board Game Geek.

Attending         bold=Mage Wars forum name ; italicized=BGG name
tom ; tomlynch
NerdGuy ; NerdGuy
Spidysox ; Nosatrub
Gruven_reuven
ringkichard

Maybes
labartels
Evenhope
devilkept - Justin & Nicole
mysterious unnamed other

Interested in Future Events
Admiral Eggman
roundman
remus
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:34:49 PM by tom »
I care not how many minions I lose,
the Darkfenne always has more graves.

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to form a group in South Eastern PA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:16 AM »
Hi Tom,
  I am going to try to make it out there, but I can't say for sure.
I am in central Jersey so it is about 1 and 1/2 hours for me to make the trip.

I am trying to get a group started in central Jersey at the Gamer's Realm.

Larry B

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
Hey Larry!

Really hope you can make it out on the 25th.  I would be great to meet you!  I have also posted this event over on this thread at Board Game Geek and it looks like there is quite a bit of interest already.  A lot of folks are interested in learning to play, but there will definitely be room for some experienced match-ups as well.

I see that Gamer's Realm is located just east of Trenton which isn't too far from my house in Northeast Philadelphia.  I would love to come out and game with you guys sometime.  When do you usually meet up?

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Hi Tom,
    We are usually there on Wednesday afternoon/evenings. I also get there every other Saturday around 4 or 5.  Unfortunately I am currently the only player right now- trying to get the other board gamers to give it a go.

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
Hey Tom, I hit this thread up on BGG, I live in West Philly. Still hoping to go to your West chester meet; however,  if you wanted to hike to Trenton on a Wednesday perhaps we could car pool?  Or we could meet for a session here in the area any day of the week.

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
Hi Tom,
    We are usually there on Wednesday afternoon/evenings. I also get there every other Saturday around 4 or 5.  Unfortunately I am currently the only player right now- trying to get the other board gamers to give it a go.

Weeknights are pretty busy for me so I doubt I would be able to make it on a Wednesday.  Saturdays are a possibility though.  Let me know next time you plan on being there on a Saturday.

Hey Tom, I hit this thread up on BGG, I live in West Philly. Still hoping to go to your West chester meet; however,  if you wanted to hike to Trenton on a Wednesday perhaps we could car pool?  Or we could meet for a session here in the area any day of the week.

Like I said above, weeknights are tough for me.  Weekends are really my only free time.  If you are out in West Philly, have you ever been to Redcap's Corner?  I wouldn't mind meeting up there sometime.

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
Like I said above, weeknights are tough for me.  Weekends are really my only free time.  If you are out in West Philly, have you ever been to Redcap's Corner?  I wouldn't mind meeting up there sometime.

I do know where Redcap's Corner is, I go there often for board game night.  I could definitely meet you there sometime.  Ironically weekends are generally tougher for me, but I'm sure I could manage a few hours to play

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
There's two of us near Lancaster, Pa. We're about an hour west of West Chester, and this is the closest group I've seen. I'll be following this thread.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

I do know where Redcap's Corner is, I go there often for board game night.  I could definitely meet you there sometime.  Ironically weekends are generally tougher for me, but I'm sure I could manage a few hours to play

Cool.  I haven't been there in a while but it is a great store.  I have actually hosted a few Heroscape tournaments there in the past.

There's two of us near Lancaster, Pa. We're about an hour west of West Chester, and this is the closest group I've seen. I'll be following this thread.

I hope you and your friend can make it out.  What is a measly hour drive to play such a great game!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:14:20 PM by tom »

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
Looks like I will be able to make it on the 25th.  Hooray!  Do you know if there will be any new/interested gamers at the shop that day?  If so, I'll put the starter spell books together to teach willing people.

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
Looks like I will be able to make it on the 25th.  Hooray!  Do you know if there will be any new/interested gamers at the shop that day?  If so, I'll put the starter spell books together to teach willing people.

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!  I would really appreciate the help if we have to teach a bunch of people.  It would be fantastic if you could have a couple of apprentice spellbooks ready in case we will need them.  I will also have a selection of apprentice books pre-made as well.

I assume everyone responding here has the game and at least has an idea of how to play.  There were at least two people over on the BGG boards that expressed interest in coming out an learning to play.  We may also be able to entice a few of the regular board gamers that will be at the store that day to learn the game.  Hopefully as the date gets closer we can get a better picture of who is coming and who will need to be taught how to play.

Spidysox

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
I'll be at this event for sure (especially since I'm the friend that Tom mentioned in the op  :))

I live in Lebanon County so I'm not far from where you are. Have you been to any of the Mage Wars nights at Six Feet Under Games in New Holland?

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
Just 5 more days to go until we ENTER THE ARENA!  Hope you guys are as excited as I am.  I am trying to put together a rough headcount of how many people are planning on coming out this Saturday.  Here is my list so far (taken from this forum and BGG).  Please chime in with corrections & additions.

Attending         bold=Mage Wars forum name ; italicized=BGG name
tom ; tomlynch
NerdGuy ; NerdGuy
Spidysox ; Nosatrub
Gruven_reuven

Maybes
labartels
Evenhope
devilkept - Justin & Nicole

Interested in Future Events
ringkichard
Admiral Eggman
roundman
remus

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
So pumped for this.  Hopefully those maybes come too and then we can have a real slugfest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
You can move ringkichard to attending, and add a mysterious unnamed other to Strong Maybe (haven't gotten final carpool confirmation).
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.