May 19, 2024, 09:39:00 AM

Author Topic: SEveral creatures on guard  (Read 3251 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
SEveral creatures on guard
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
Hello i dont find something sure, i post for that and sorry if this its just clarify:

-If you have several creatures on guard, you can choose whose guard creature gets the attack or its the opponent? rules said that opponent must choose a guard creature if there are one, but i dont see clear if there are several on guard.

thanks.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: SEveral creatures on guard
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
Mage Wars' Rulebook v2.0 states on p.22 under "Step 1: Declare Attack" :

[...]
Then, announce what target you are attacking. You must choose a legal target for your attack:
If you are making a melee attack, the target must be in the
same zone as the attacker. If there are enemy guards in the
zone, you must choose one of the guards to attack (see
“Guarding” on page 29).

So, I understand it the way that the attacker chooses which guarding creature is attacked.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:37:50 PM by gw »
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
gw is correct.  The same thing applies to a creature with bloodthirsty attacking when there is more than one wounded character (or one wounded and another with a guard marker)--the attacker gets to choose which one he targets.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Kotakh

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
gw is correct.  The same thing applies to a creature with bloodthirsty attacking when there is more than one wounded character (or one wounded and another with a guard marker)--the attacker gets to choose which one he targets.

Actually, a bloodthirsty creature cannot attack a wounded creature if there is a guard in the same zone.

Faq p11: A creature with Bloodthirsty is in a zone with two other enemy creatures, one of which is Guarding and undamaged, and the other one of which is damaged. Since the damaged creature is not a legal target for the attack, the creature is free of any obligation to attack, so it could either attack the Guard or take another action.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »

Just to clarify, if you activate a Bloodthirsty creature and there are two opposing creatures in your zone, one undamaged and on guard while the other one is damaged and not on guard, then you MUST attack the guard. You do not get to ignore guards when your creature has Bloodthirsty. (FAQ page 11)

But, otherwise you are correct. The attacker gets to choose which creature they wish to attack when there are multiple legal options. Guard simply designates which targets are legal options.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
Just to clarify, if you activate a Bloodthirsty creature and there are two opposing creatures in your zone, one undamaged and on guard while the other one is damaged and not on guard, then you MUST attack the guard. You do not get to ignore guards when your creature has Bloodthirsty. (FAQ page 11)

Not quite.

Example: A creature with Bloodthirsty is in a zone with two other enemy creatures, one of which is Guarding and undamaged, and the other one of which is damaged. Since the damaged creature is not a legal target for the attack, the creature is free of any obligation to attack, so it could either attack the Guard or take another action.

It's not that the Bloodthirsty creature MUST attack the guard. The Bloodthirsty creature can guard or move, for example.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:56:26 AM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
You are correct ringkichard. Bad choice of words on my part. I simply meant that it could not attack anything other than the guard. It could certainly choose to do something other than attacking at all.