May 02, 2024, 05:22:48 AM

Author Topic: Septagram Terrain tile  (Read 1875 times)

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Septagram Terrain tile
« on: January 15, 2017, 04:52:47 AM »
Septagram
This zone, and all non-Mageobjects within it, gain the Warded trait. Note that Mages are very special and powerful creatures, constantly casting spells and flowing with magic, and are not easily warded. Thus, Septagram will not protect them.

Warded (Object Trait)
This object is protected from hostile magic. It cannot be targeted by an enemy-controlled incantation or enchantment spell. It can still be affected by enemy incantations or enchantments which do not directly target it, such as a zone effect.

So, are you allowed to play a zone enchantment like Teleport Trap or V'Tar Force Sentry into a Septagram zone?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Septagram Terrain tile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »
That is an excellent question! The crutch, I think, revolves around "hostile magic". Are you an enemy of the zone? Because you can still enchant your Warded friends. I think most players would say that you are neutral to the zone. The only example we have for dealing with neutral objects, the orb guardians, then tells us to treat them like enemies. Plus, if nobody was an enemy of the zone, what would be the point of it getting the Warded trait?

So, I believe you are correct. The zone containing Septagram can not have any zone enchantments on it. I will admit though, that the rules do not actually cover this. The section on the orb guardians only really applies to them and can't honestly be used in this situation. There is no section covering the allegiances of the zones themselves.

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Septagram Terrain tile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
Yeah, we discussed this situation at length at our recent Battlegrounds tournaments. As the judge I ruled that Septagram does not allow zone enchantments, but it would be great to get an official ruling on this!