May 14, 2024, 03:37:34 AM

Author Topic: Story points?  (Read 2566 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Story points?
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
So I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that people can earn story points in organized play for Mage Wars. What are story points, how do people earn them, and is anyone actually awarding story points? I have suspicions about the answers to these questions, but I don't know for sure.

The reason I ask this is that Mage Wars is a long game, and I've spent several of the games I've played in relative silence except for questions or comments about what's going on in the game being played. While it's still VERY fun, it would be nice if there were some more conversation. However, the game is very engaging and requires deep thinking, so conversation would be a distraction more often than not. But if there were any way to incorporate some roleplaying elements into the planning phase or something, that would be great. I'm worried that it would increase the game time by A LOT, though, although I don't know by how much.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:02:37 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Story points?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
So I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that people can earn story points in organized play for Mage Wars. What are story points, how do people earn them, and is anyone actually awarding story points? I have suspicions about the answers to these questions, but I don't know for sure.

The reason I ask this is that Mage Wars is a long game, and I've spent several of the games I've played in relative silence except for questions or comments about what's going on in the game being played. While it's still VERY fun, it would be nice if there were some more conversation. However, the game is very engaging and requires deep thinking, so conversation would be a distraction more often than not. But if there were any way to incorporate some roleplaying elements into the planning phase or something, that would be great. I'm worried that it would increase the game time by A LOT, though, although I don't know by how much.

What do you think?

I think that in most respects, over-thinking definitely doesn't really help.  Sure, you have access to a whole book of options, but after you learn the game a bit, you can figure out what you probably should be doing in a given situation.  And besides, if you take a chance and lose (which I do often), at least you learned something for next game.  Practice makes multitasking while playing easier, and I find ways to insert table-talk about lots of random things, like art and strategies and stuff, though it depends on your relationship to your opponent obviously.

TBH, I don't really know enough about the MW story to really know the significance of certain events, because for the most part the story hasn't been released.  I just appreciate the world behind it that I do have access to and play with that in the backdrop of my thoughts.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Story points?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
Story award points are part of the Organized Play Program. In order to play with them you need to have your local gaming store or local MW Ambassador order a kit. The kits come with promos as well.

Hope this helps,

John