May 10, 2024, 02:35:27 AM

Author Topic: Wizard Questions  (Read 8439 times)

GD360

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard Questions
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
I was wondering how the elemental schools work. If the Mage chooses earth, does this mean he is unable to mix in any spells of the other elemental schools?  Just wondering how this would work.

How many unique spells of each elemental school are there?

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Basically, if you chose earth for the mage then they don't pay a penalty for the spell to be in your spellbook. However, if you added a spell that your mage is not specialized in then you pay double the price in points, and if its from an opposing school of magic then you pay triple (I'm not too sure if its double and triple, I'm half asleep at this moment).

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
you have that correct.  the wizard however does not have a restricted school.  so he always pays spell level for arcane spells and pick one elemental school he pays spell level for those two.  all other major schools and all other elemental schools he pays double the spell level from his spellbook points for.

as an example if there was a restricted school (ie warlock casting holy, priestess casting dark, or beastmaster casting fire) you pay tripple the spells level for to place in your spellbook.  once its thier it plays as normal in the game
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
that is sweet that the mage can be used that many ways
\"Guilt resembles a sword with two edges.  On one hand it cuts for justice, imposing practical morality upon those who fear it. But there is another side to that weighted emotion.  Conscience does not always adhere to rational judgement.  Guilt is always a self-imposed burden, not always rightly imposed\" --Drizzt Do\'Urden

rithe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
you have that correct.  the wizard however does not have a restricted school. 

this is not entriely true, if you take fire, your restricted school is water so you pay tripple for any water school

but lets be honest, with the forcemaster and warlord expansion, if your not takeing earth (air is the restricted) then your not playing the timmi build (iron gol, hydra, earth elemental)
Where joy meets sin, that's where you'll find me

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »

this is not entriely true, if you take fire, your restricted school is water so you pay tripple for any water school

but lets be honest, with the forcemaster and warlord expansion, if your not takeing earth (air is the restricted) then your not playing the timmi build (iron gol, hydra, earth elemental)

Are you sure rithe?  That doesn't seem right.

If you pick fire that doesn't make water restricted does it?
I thought if you picked fire it just means Arcane & Fire cost single and everything else (including water - or any other element) would cost double.  Either I'm reading it wrong but I don't think ANYthing is 'restricted' and costs triple for the Wizard.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »
Nothing costs triple for the Wizard.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »
you are mistaken rith, nothing cost the wizard triple.

because everything is single or double it dies make him flexible but by the current arcane card pool he is quite weak. arcane has no access to in school buffs or lvl 5+ creatures. so this makes up for him having no triple cost.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »
I don't know of any lvl 5 creatures worth playing at the moment, and it seems the most flexible cards are in fact, arcane (see dispel, seeking dispel, teleport). He is actually one of the strongest mages in the game because of his flexibility on top of his ten channeling.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 01:15:33 AM »
arcane spells give the most versatility (whats what i meant by flexibility). But when it comes to actually killing the other other mage there is only the arcane creatures, and compared to other schools average at best.

i would say the Angles and Lord of Fire are worth while cards to play in most games, the invisible stalker possibly as well. the wizard will only get stronger when more elemental based creatures are released, imagine his choice of Earth ele, Water ele, Air ele or Fire ele and then the equivalent lvl 3 creature in that school.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »

Um where Is this in the rule book?
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »
arcane spells give the most versatility (whats what i meant by flexibility). But when it comes to actually killing the other other mage there is only the arcane creatures, and compared to other schools average at best.

i would say the Angles and Lord of Fire are worth while cards to play in most games, the invisible stalker possibly as well. the wizard will only get stronger when more elemental based creatures are released, imagine his choice of Earth ele, Water ele, Air ele or Fire ele and then the equivalent lvl 3 creature in that school.

Actually those jumbo creatures suck without support bc if they die you blew a lot of mana. They are better when included for a particular strategy.

But for arcane and the wizard the gorgon archer and hydra are amazing, but they are expensive for non-arcane mages.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:43:16 AM »
gorgon archer is one of, if not the best defensive creature mainly due to the "slow" traight not hindering ranged creatures as much as melee.

the Hydra is the 5th best creature in a 1v1 fight i have mentioned the maths before in previous posts (behind Earth ele, Sir Corazin, Lord of fire and Steelclaw). but in a real game he lacks viability because of him being slow and an agony magnet. so yes he can be good but it requires constant help from your mage (through teleport, push etc).

both the archer and the hydra give much better position control then actual game winning damage

if you just look at the arcane cards you see there aren't any big cards to damage your mage, which makes sence because nobody really builds a wizard to be a beat down mage with arcane only. he uses the best thing his schools are good at.

arcane: mana control, position control
air: daze/stun lock spells, push control
fire: superior damage over time
water: N/A (so far, wait till necro/druid expansion)
earth: creatures with best offence/defense stat combo (but also slow)

and you know the biggest fact to prove my statements is that the wizard has no 3x spell cost, so the play-testers of mage wars obviously believe that arcane is inferior (slightly) to dark,holy,nature,war and force to warrant say dark+fire to have holy x3 but arcane+fire to have no x3

rithe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 06:03:16 AM »
just re-read the rules this morning and it seems i was wrong so i appoligse for this mistake :/
Where joy meets sin, that's where you'll find me

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
Arcane has a few of my favorite creatures in the game, one of the reasons I like the wizard.

Gorgon Archer + Basilisk are amazing together.  Basilisk to restrain the creature and Gorgon shooting away at it by the time it gets to you it is weak.  Toss a Hydra in and you are good to go.  They are slow but all that regen makes them beasts to take down.