May 01, 2024, 09:14:23 PM

Author Topic: Melee +X effects  (Read 2697 times)

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Melee +X effects
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
I've been having a conversation with a friend today, and to say we're a little bit lost on this matter is an understatement.

First off, am I correct in saying that the likes of Bear Strength, when used with a double or triple strike attack, only work on the first hit of that attack?  Can someone point me to the passage in the rules if it's in there, I couldn't find it for looking.

If this is correct, does this pertain to ALL +melee effects e.g. battle skill, etc?

Also, how does this work with Battle Fury?  Does the Bear Strength give +2 melee dice for BOTH of those attacks, or again, is it only the first one?  Essentially, is the plus once per attack action, once per 'attack', or once per round?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Melee +X effects
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »
Rulebook 2.0 Page:42
Melee +X
[spoiler]This creature gains +X attack dice when it makes a melee attack. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. Does not grant a melee attack if this creature does not have one. Does not affect ranged attacks, damage barriers, or other non-melee attacks.[/spoiler]

FAQ Page:2
Attack Bonuses
[spoiler]Some traits (such as Melee +X) state that “if the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or
different creature, it gains the bonus only for the first attack it makes.” This wording is clarified to say;
“if the creature makes multiple attacks during the same attack action, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus.” If a creature gains a bonus on one attack but then the bonus
increases for a subsequent attack, on the next attack he may receive the additional bonus gained.[/spoiler]

Example:[spoiler] A creature has a Sweeping attack and Rage +3, and has 2 Rage tokens on him, so he has
Melee +2. On his first attack, he gets +2 attack dice. If the target Counterstrikes and damages the
attacker, the attacker will get another Rage token, so he will now be at Melee +3. On the second attack,
the creature will get +1 attack die.[/spoiler]

Example:[spoiler] A creature with Melee +2 has Battle Fury cast on him, then the creature makes an attack. The free Battle Fury attack counts as a separate action because the Battle Fury spell says to make an free additional quick action attack, so the player would get to apply the Melee +_2 to extra Battle Fury attack as well.[/spoiler]

BTW this has been covered in several other threads but I combined them all here for simplicity.
I hope that helps
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
"If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. "

Yep... sadly the first illogical thing I've come across in MW. No thematic/logical reason why it would only apply to the first attack so assume it's a balance thang?

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
I'm quite glad this was the answer though - it's exactly how I understood that it worked :) Cheers Shadow.

Incidentally, that's the name of one of my cats :)

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=9294
I'm quite glad this was the answer though - it's exactly how I understood that it worked :) Cheers Shadow.

Incidentally, that's the name of one of my cats :)

:cheer:  :silly:  :cheer:  :silly:  :cheer:
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »
Quote from: "Preacher" post=9290
"If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. "

Yep... sadly the first illogical thing I've come across in MW. No thematic/logical reason why it would only apply to the first attack so assume it's a balance thang?

Correct it is for balance. Just play a few games with it working each way and you will see why we did it. Also things like Bear Strength it used to apply to autonomous items
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage