May 06, 2024, 03:11:32 PM

Author Topic: Arcane Wonders Booth at UKGE '15  (Read 6344 times)

Chriz007

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Arcane Wonders Booth at UKGE '15
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

Arcane Wonders have a demo stand (7A) in the Monarch Suite at UK Games Expo. We'll be demoing Mage Wars and Sheriff of Nottingham through out the event, except when the events below are on:

Mage Wars Demo: Everyone who enters a demo of Mage Wars, gets their name entered into a prize draw for a Mage Wars Arena Core Set!

Sheriff of Nottingham Demo: We have a limited number of promo cards to give away, to grab a set you just need to win a demo game. While stock lasts.

Friday

14:00 - 17:00
UK Mage Wars Championship Tournament

Details: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1294243/uk-games-expo-2015-o...

Tickets: http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?category=bor

Rules: http://www.arcanewonders.com/news/tournaments

17:00 - 19:00
Royals Preview demo

Come play the upcoming 4th game in the Dice Tower Essentials line; Royals

Saturday

17:00 - late
Mage Wars Organised Play (kit Tbc)

Taking place after the trade hall closes, in the open play area. Chance to play through some story drive games, with the outcome effecting the future story of Mage Wars. Exclusive promos prizes up for games too.

Sunday

09:00 - 12:00
Mage Wars Apprentice Tournament

Geared for new players, apprentice spellbooks provided, compete for your chance to win a Mage Wars Arena Core Set!

16:00
Mage Wars Prize draw!

- Chris
Arcane Wonders Ambassador
UK Mage Wars Ambassador

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Wonders Booth at UKGE '15
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 03:22:18 AM »
Nice, wish I was there.  Will you be publishing the results of the Mage wars games today?  How many have registered for the championship? What spelbooks are they using? Will any videos be made? 

ben_tyrer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »
As predicted by me before the tournament, half of the spell books were Wizard  :P

I ran a rush warlock spell book, was 1st after the second round but messed up the third round so finished 3rd overall. JC, my traveling companion for this event, finished 1st with a wizard book and another wizard finished 2nd.

Cheers for the games all!

I'll probably run another Mage Wars tournament in September at the GNOME all-dayer. The first one, done last year, can be seen HERE. I'll post more details later in the year, I hope to see a few more faces there this time around.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:40:04 AM »
Well predicted ben_tyrer, and congratulations on the third place!

I was also a Wizard at the tournament (Adam - Air Wizard).  I had the pleasure of a modified loss to JC, an Earth Wizard, in the first round and gave him a bit of trouble by being a slippery customer.  He couldn't pin me down, but managed to get enough damage on me to get the modified win.  It was my first ever competitive game and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I also picked up some good techniques from JC including how important and effective it is to guard with a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] and effective placement and use of the [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard].  He had it right in front of my [mwcard=MW1J07]Gate to Voltari[/mwcard] and blitzed my creatures with [mwcard=MW1A09]Jet Stream[/mwcard] as soon as they were cast adding a wall bash to each attack.

My second round was, again, a modified loss to Jonathan who was a Fire Wizard.  He effectively ruined me with a suppression game.  I had heard of a suppression Wizard but, due to a lack of experience playing other players, I did not see it coming.  When I asked Jonathan whether it went how he had planned, he replied in the affirmative.  I was lucky to last for the modified loss.  A [mwcard=MW1I17]Minor Heal[/mwcard] saved me from annihilation in the final round of the game - [mwcard=MW1I12]Force Push[/mwcard]ed through a [mwcard=MW1W04]Wall of Thorns[/mwcard].  Again, a lot was learned.

I won my final round with a modified win against Justin (I think that was his name), a Necromancer.  I played a slightly different game to the first two as he was quite aggressive early on impregnating my Mage with an Ichthellid Larva.  I used a couple of [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard]'s and a [mwcard=MW1C05]Blue Gremlin[/mwcard] to inflict some damage before they all succumbed to a combo of [mwcard=DNC21]Thornlasher[/mwcard]s and a well placed [mwcard=MW1J18]Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard].  In the second to last round of the match, I threw down [mwcard=MW1J19]Deathlock[/mwcard] after a [mwcard=MW1I17]Minor Heal[/mwcard] which proved enough to win by a modified win.  I was unlucky on my final attack, requiring 2 damage to kill the Necromancer and only getting a 1 critical.  Maybe next time!

As I said, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and provided me with a chance to play other mages and learn a lot of new techniques and styles of play.  If anybody is undecided about entering a tournament for fear of loss, I would encourage you to just have a go and enjoy the experience.  You will certainly learn something and become more confident for your next game/s.

I finished fourth overall which I was really pleased with.  I was hoping to not finish with zero points so was fourth was brilliant!  Thanks too, to all of the competitors.  Everybody was friendly and helpful and it was a really nice atmosphere. 

I will certainly look out for your upcoming event ben_tyrer.  If all is well, maybe I could see you in the arena next time!!
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:06:16 AM »
Nice to read, thank you people,  any more details for us?  How many players were there?  What books were used?  We see it was mainly wizards but was that 6? 8?  what types?  What were the results?  What surprising strategies were used?   Wish I was there, now I want to know everything

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:10:07 AM »
So, this is great to read, but hoped we might get some more details, battle reports or photos even.  Last chance before everything dissappears under an avalance of Origins material.  Shame to miss all the fun you guys had?

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »
There are a couple of photo's on the Mage Wars Facebook page from the 29th May.  Other than that, I'm not sure if there is anything official.  Chris would be the guy to ask for anything like that.

I was wondering whether Chris will post a final standings table or report of the tournament. Chris?
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »
kiwipaul, I've PM'd Chris.  I'll let you know of any developments.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »
Great, looking forward to it.  It is far more relevant to us thatn Origins

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
kiwipaul, there is some news from the UK Games Expo Mage Wars tournament- http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15618.msg51928#msg51928

Check it out! (You may have already seen the post).

Chriz007

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

This got busy! I have posted the results on a separate page; currently writing up the spellbooks, photos are on FB and BGG. Sorry it's taken a little while, everything been a bit of a mad rush since I got back! Big plans for next year & hopefully we'll have more players!
UK Mage Wars Ambassador

Chriz007

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Hi Guys,

Add a few more spellbooks to the list, next year I think I'll ask for them via email prior to the event!

Speaking of next year: any feedback from the Stand, Tournament or Organised Play that was run?

I know some people on BBG said Friday wasn't a good night to hold it, maybe Saturday evening would be better? I'm thinking evening rather than day time because we could simply use the open gaming hall, that said with the venue changes next year, there should be more space for events.

I'm also thinking that next years Tournament should be Domination rather than standard, as I feel this would better fit the time constraints of a tournament, but ultimately Id love to hear what you guys think
UK Mage Wars Ambassador