May 02, 2024, 10:34:41 PM

Author Topic: Difference between German and English commentary on MW recordings  (Read 7960 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Difference between German and English commentary on MW recordings
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the comparison! I wish I had a chance to learn German so I could have an opinion between the AD and Tdome youtube commentaries. I will say that I like to do tournament game commentary to focus more on supporting the player's decisions first, then give a quick analytic examination. I like to see "sub-optimal" plays because it is possible they are doing it on purpose and hitting a timing where they gain a game shifting advantage. Since this is the first tournament with PvS and LG I am trying to be open minded as we might see some breakthrough on the meta. All in all I am glad that we have different styles. It makes it so players can gain a more full experience of what is happening in the game. Schwen is an amazing player and his analytic mind is top notch. If you get a chance to have a conversation with him, he has some great insight on this vast game.

I wouldn't mind doing a video showing a series of games that have a similar strategy and examining how they work in more detail. I might post on that later requesting anyone that can record games to send me specific styles.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:21:27 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
   i also agree that sub optimal play may have a reason, such as conserving mana for a better play next turn or two later. could like you mention be something that is attempted which may be new in some way. most likely it was a mistake, but the end result will tell.

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
I also think this is a very interesting topic. In fact I was one of those who critisized some german comments. And I am quite happy to see Enti writing this post as he was the one with hard words as co-commentary. That shows he is taking some effort to enhance his skills and that he takes criticism serious.

Thank you for recognizing my effort.
Actually I read all your comments and my conclusion was that literally everyone here likes to hear analyses and in depth discussions about the current board-situation.

So I tried to take that into account and started my own Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafM9Dne-M4tM0Es9N6jZgA/videos

I try to speak in English.. so now you get the benefit of having the "German-commentary-style" in English! :p
I know, my pronunciation is horrible, actually that was one of the reasons I didn't do it earlier.

And as you can already guess: I am open for feedback. Doesn't matter if it is game related or commentary related. Pointing out mistakes or even starting to discuss about a certain turn is highly encouraged. As are comments to the overall strategy. 

And now all the English-speaking MW player can actually compare German commentary to English commentary  ;D

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
Yes mr. Duck, this analysis is awesome!

For those that are interested, both Enti and I have now released the same game from our individual perspectives. Links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwN6aJTHOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e645GrVIVKk
I found it very interesting to watch it again from the opponents perspective. We have many of the same thoughts about the play, while both trying to guess at what the other is planning.

I do not have much else to add to the discussion as a whole, both kind and critical words have already been said. I listen to both the german and the english commentary, though the german is significantly harder for me. 

One thing I have found, is that while the AW team is generally more entertaining, and I think speaks to a wider audience, Schwenkgotts commentary on games that I have been in, have moreso directly influenced (and I would say improved) the way I play, with his very critically analysis.

Also, Biblofilter likes to do a very entertaining impression of the differences in style, but only when he has had too much wine.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:32:45 PM by keejchen »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
On thing I have found, is that while the AW team is generally more entertaining, and I think speaks to a wider audience, Schwenkgotts commentary on games that I have been in, have moreso directly influenced (and I would say improved) the way I play, with his very critically analysis.

Wow, then Schwenkgott did a very good job. This is exactly what I aspire to achieve with my commentary. To improve my own gameplay and the one's of my viewers.

I'm really looking forward to the next 4 games of the tournament! :)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
I definitely prefer highly critical opinions (criticism isn't a bad thing, or shouldn't be, but in many places the world has got to PC and people no longer take it well.

My smattering of German is sadly not up to listening to these, and my fluent fiancee isn't going to want to translate them all for me!