May 03, 2024, 09:46:00 AM

Author Topic: The Warrior of the Light Priest  (Read 6557 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
The Warrior of the Light Priest
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »
I've been making a Priest lately. I've only played one game with him and won against a Druid.

You can see it being played in the latest Arcane Duels Video ----->http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14641.0

I spent a lot of time thinking of how I can use the Fire ability to my advantage. I wanted to make the most use out of a Dawnbreaker Ring. It's cost for 3 and giving you a max of two dice per turn is really good.

For melee, the Dawnbreaker Ring with Bear Strength means my melee is at 5. With the staff it goes up to 7! The basic melee can Daze and the Staff of Asyra can Daze or Stun. Adding a burn to both of those makes the melee attack important for the mage to use every round.

The goal is to have the option to burn the enemy mage whenever I want. The minute I burn I want to be able to maximize the damage for the rest of the round. So in an ideal situation I melee first to make sure I can burn the enemy (if it fails I hopefully can Akiro's Favor it). If the burn fails then I can use a Pillar of Light as backup to insure the burn and daze/stun. If the melee gets through then I want to use the Elemental Wand with Hurl Boulder to maximize the damage. I have the Hawkeye to add the damage to Pillar or Hurl Boulder. If they dissolve the wand I don't consider it a big loss.

I've considered two battle forges in this deck because the equipment is decently important. I have the armor ward because it makes the opponent really commit to destroying my equipment.

I have the cheetah speed so I can move quickly and still do both of my actions for attacking. Not sure if that's completely necessary.

For my Holy Avenger I want to use the Asyran Cleric. If he dies then they probably used more then 6 mana to kill him. In the match against the druid he stranglevined my Holy Avenger so I simply used the cleric to heal my priest then the upkeep for Stranglevine more then payed for himself (probably doubled up). The ability activating is really nice for the damage output. Not sure if I want 4 of them as 11 health is not really easy to kill.

I have been considering replacing the Defends with Brace Yourself. It seems like defend isn't really what I want in this deck.

I worry a little bit about a forcemaster. I have the temple of light to help. I tried my best with the falcon precision and the mass creatures. As soon as I think I can use Brogan safely I would bring him out.

I am also considering taking the Mana Crystal out or the Harmonize out. This deck may be to fast to use both of them.

Let me know what you guys think! All opinions are appreciated.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Warrior of the Light[/spellbookname]
[mage]Priest[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a11]6 x  Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a01]2 x  Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j12]1 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j24]1 x  Temple of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c20]1 x  Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c02]4 x  Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC01]2 x  Asyran Defender[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c06]1 x  Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c22]1 x  Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x  Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e12]2 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e37]1 x  Sacred Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q27]1 x  Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q29]2 x  Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]2 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Warrior of the Light Priest
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
The only thing I'm noticing is as you say attacking each turn is super important, and I believe your melee is your best bet. That being said you have full action cast any creatures you want. While that's ok, not everyone goes for spawnpoints, you probably don't need the Blinding Flashes to further slow down your staff beating rhythm. Other than that the book looks fine to me.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
I guess the biggest problem I have is the spawnpoint seems really bad (as compared to other spawnpoints and how they channel extra mana). Since I already have the clerics in the deck I could go for a big creature play if the game stretches on long enough. My priest can be in the front line trying to damage as much as possible and burn while the clerics pray. Maybe I could go for a late game Valshalla play and use the monks as a sac tactic to buff her up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »
I really do like the Sunfire Bursts in OP Kit 6, if you play promo's you might swap a couple of those in.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:25:31 AM »
I like this build a lot, so much im going to give it a try myself , sadly i only play a few games/month but..

Im an inexperienced player, so you should regard the following more as my thoughts/questions, than me trying to come up with advice.

With all the creatures you have, it seems you need
1) a spawnpoint, if you want a decent chance of bringing more of them out or

2) you could cut down on creatures, and try to include more enchantments and incantations instead.

If we are going to include more enchanments the following is what i came up with
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]

I almost never see this in spellbooks posted. Here it seems called for. Theres a lot of stuff you really want your opponent not to remove:
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard] (especially because of the [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard]?)
[mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard]

and you could use more enchantments:
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard](as you already mentioned instead of defend)
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]Healing Charm[/mwcard] ( i see this as a banked healing action)
[mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E33]Retaliate[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E06]Circle of Lightning[/mwcard] (expensive spellbookwise but you are trying to daze/stun your opponent a lot)
and with the [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] and all those enchantments
[mwcard=MW1Q09]Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]becomes natural.

The Holy Avenger plan seems a little odd (even as you said it worked fine, as your opponent spent more mana than you) but id think id prefer to use it on the [mwcard=MW1C20]Highland Unicorn[/mwcard] instead?
Might include the Crown of Protection but again you probably don´t have the time to give your Unicorn a little extra armor. An [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard] is probably a much better idea for armor.
The Unicorn seems to be a really good companion for this mage, if the try to flee from your mage, they have to worry about that 14 hp charging Unicorn.

Other than that, against a curseheavy opponent there might be a problem. Maybe a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]Dispel Wand[/mwcard] or more [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard]?

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
I really do like the Sunfire Bursts in OP Kit 6, if you play promo's you might swap a couple of those in.

I don't have any of the new promos :( but I totally would use those.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
I like this build a lot, so much im going to give it a try myself , sadly i only play a few games/month but..

Im an inexperienced player, so you should regard the following more as my thoughts/questions, than me trying to come up with advice.

With all the creatures you have, it seems you need
1) a spawnpoint, if you want a decent chance of bringing more of them out or

2) you could cut down on creatures, and try to include more enchantments and incantations instead.

If we are going to include more enchanments the following is what i came up with
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]

I almost never see this in spellbooks posted. Here it seems called for. Theres a lot of stuff you really want your opponent not to remove:
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard] (especially because of the [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard]?)
[mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard]

and you could use more enchantments:
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard](as you already mentioned instead of defend)
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]Healing Charm[/mwcard] ( i see this as a banked healing action)
[mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E33]Retaliate[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MW1E06]Circle of Lightning[/mwcard] (expensive spellbookwise but you are trying to daze/stun your opponent a lot)
and with the [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] and all those enchantments
[mwcard=MW1Q09]Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]becomes natural.

The Holy Avenger plan seems a little odd (even as you said it worked fine, as your opponent spent more mana than you) but id think id prefer to use it on the [mwcard=MW1C20]Highland Unicorn[/mwcard] instead?
Might include the Crown of Protection but again you probably don´t have the time to give your Unicorn a little extra armor. An [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]Brace Yourself[/mwcard] is probably a much better idea for armor.
The Unicorn seems to be a really good companion for this mage, if the try to flee from your mage, they have to worry about that 14 hp charging Unicorn.

Other than that, against a curseheavy opponent there might be a problem. Maybe a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]Dispel Wand[/mwcard] or more [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard]?

Hey man thanks for the compliment. Someone saying they want to try out my ideas is a cool thing :)

The big problem I've been having with the temple is that the average game for me goes between 9-13 rounds. It's makes you really squeezed for options since you want to get creatures out or it's a wasted action. I'm still on the fence with the temple but I'm leaning more towards putting it in. I would probably take out the mana crystal and something else to pay for it.

The reason I like the cleric for the holy avenger is because it only costs 2 mana. To get the same effect from the unicorn you pay 4. I can understand you wanting to make the unicorn the HA for survivability though. If you don't want clerics for HA I would replace them with defenders.

I like the enchanters wardstone a lot! That should definitely be in there. There are a few fun play styles in here that if they do dispel one thing you have a backup plan. It's a tough choice to decide which method you want to start with.

I like the brace yourself because it helps you against early agro. It insures you can get a good 3 turns to get something setup.

I think one of the things that this book needs is a purge magic. It is a really good way to destroy a lot of enchantment heavy books. Dispel wand is a cheaper alternative but wastes more actions.

I would consider circle of fire equal to circle of lightning in this deck. If you go fire you could have the curse in here that doesn't get rid of burns on a 0 for damage. And use combustion for a side play. The lightning is just good in general.

If you play this let me know how you do! And problems you had during the game.

*edited because  I can't read.*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:18:46 PM by Coshade »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
Making an Asyran Cleric your Holy Avenger costs 2 mana...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
Making an Asyran Cleric your Holy Avenger costs 2 mana...

It does...!

2 vs 4 mana then   :-[

Totally messed that up. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
I love your show. If I had one criticism it is the distinct lack of Cowbell.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
You played like i would do with the priest. No or very few creatures.

In my opinion, the holy avenger is a special ability, that can be evaded easily. If he's attacked, he does not get the melee bonus. I would rather focus on the other special priest ability "Malakais Fire", because it's a real pain in the ass for the enemy. Equip yourself with the forge (Gauntlets, Staff, Ring), enchant yourself with bearstrength and use the Bim-Shalla to swing 9 Dice at your enemy. Set him on fire. Stack burns with Adramelechs Torment (yes i know: triple cost). If you have some Mana left, reduce his Armor with Acid Ball (3 Dice with Hawkeye) or hurl some Fireballs at him to maximize the burning power.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 01:10:29 AM »
I love your show. If I had one criticism it is the distinct lack of Cowbell.
I put my pants on one leg at a time, like the rest of you, expect once my pants are on I make Gold Spellbooks.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
Expect cowbell in the next episode ;)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
You played like i would do with the priest. No or very few creatures.

In my opinion, the holy avenger is a special ability, that can be evaded easily. If he's attacked, he does not get the melee bonus. I would rather focus on the other special priest ability "Malakais Fire", because it's a real pain in the ass for the enemy. Equip yourself with the forge (Gauntlets, Staff, Ring), enchant yourself with bearstrength and use the Bim-Shalla to swing 9 Dice at your enemy. Set him on fire. Stack burns with Adramelechs Torment (yes i know: triple cost). If you have some Mana left, reduce his Armor with Acid Ball (3 Dice with Hawkeye) or hurl some Fireballs at him to maximize the burning power.

Totally. I've thought about adramelech's torment. What do you think about including a combustion as well? Would you consider 2 battle forges? I've also been having problems with medium creature focused builds using solo mages like this.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »
Expect cowbell in the next episode ;)

You have officially won the internet good sir.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!