May 17, 2024, 06:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Test your Skills... Enchantments  (Read 4600 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Test your Skills... Enchantments
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
Today we have a special preview, we're talking shop about enchantments in Academy. You can find the article >>HERE<<. Enjoy this SUPER preview before Gen Con! See you all there!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Test your Skills... Enchantments
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Today we have a special preview, we're talking shop about enchantments in Academy. You can find the article >>HERE<<. Enjoy this SUPER preview before Gen Con! See you all there!

This changes everything.

I mean, at a glance, these are just weaker/different versions of Rhino Hide, Bear Strength and Regrowth, which already exist in Arena. But when you consider that you can have these on creatures in addition to the existing Enchantments, it means you can build more powerful beasts than are currently possible.

Equipment is sort of self-limiting by having various equipment slots that fill up; e.g. you can't have more than 1 chest armor, or more than 1 glove/bracer/gauntlet, or more than 1 cloak. Thus, to max out your armor, you would put on a chest piece, maybe gloves and/or boots, maybe a cloak, and you could include the 1 enchantment that added extra armor, Rhino Hide. That allowed you to get 4 armor with only 2 spells (1 chest piece and 1 enchantment), and up to 7 total (ignoring temporary effects like Brace Yourself, incantations, etc). But now you could equip both Rhino Hide + Gator Toughness for 3 armor (+2 life) without taking up an equipment slot, revealing them both only when attacked (e.g. before the apply damage/effects step). Or you could enchant with both Bear Strength + Wolf Fury for Melee +3 (and Piercing +1), similarly only revealing before the "roll dice" step of the attack.  Of course, these also add +1 to the maximum cap for attack and armor.

And they're fairly cheap for what they do. Only Iguana Regrowth gets prohibitively expensive for larger creatures, and is unplayable on a mage, but that's OK because Regenerate doesn't stack anyway (e.g. use Iguana Regrowth on a level 1-2 creature and regular Regrowth on level 3+).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:11:44 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Anubis

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »
Really interesting preview!

These new enchanments can give more versatility to existing decks. They will not bring new archetypes in the game, but will nicely implement beastmaster books. That wolf thingy on falcons will be very annoying for example...

Thank you for that preview! :-*
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results...

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
I think [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]Dispel Wand[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1I21]Purge Magic[/mwcard] just got more interesting. The possibilities with this are enormous! Let the enchantment mind games begin!

Piercing 1 is awesome --> Wolf Fury can help out with things like Battle Fury or the Forcemaster's Galvitar. Putting both Iaguana Regrowth and Gator Toughness on a pet can make them be really hard to kill for super cheap.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
means even more bonus for arcane mages up to now as easy excess to dispel.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
I am so excited right now! or rather my druid is excited, or i suppose Fellela is excited. Its always been much to my chagrin that outside of the steps laid out by Charmyna, its been really tough to give her reliable survivability . One bulls endurance is often not enough,  as she can draw a ton of hate, and it doesn't really take much hate to bring her down. Sure stacking enchants always makes targets more juicy, but with a bulls endurance and either/both gator toughness or iguana regrowth actually brings that life total to a decent amount. Add the Etherian Lifetree to that, and my flying enchantment machine could possibly handle that suped up flameblast thats bound to come flying her way, or shake off a few whacks against the arena wall.

Wow... just take my money and give me Academy, like now. So i can play it a few times then distribute these awesome cards across the Arena. This stuff is crazy. and I love it!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:51:02 PM »
I really like these cheap little buffs.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
Much as I think as this expansion is misguided and based on a flawed premise, I have to say that the overall playability of the cards previewed so far have been a major redeeming factor.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
Much as I think as this expansion is misguided and based on a flawed premise, I have to say that the overall playability of the cards previewed so far have been a major redeeming factor.

If viewed as an expansion of the Arena Game, however in reality it is a new game all by itself that happens to expand the card pool in Arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
I feel that is something Arcane Wonders has said over and over again. It's a unique idea and I feel it's hard to get used to. The beauty of this new release is that people can play quicker games of Mage Wars if they just don't have time otherwise, OR they can shove these cards in to improve Arena. That "OR" is very important and will be a determining factor in Academy's success.

Another thing I've realized recently. Many people don't have the time to play a lot and that's a bummer. I can say personally, that I've become Sooo much better at this game in the past few months just because I've been able to play more. The learning curve is astounding... Academy may give many players the means to get more practice in. There are some different rules but you can definitely hone the basics.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
My Transfusion Druid love these...

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 06:12:38 AM »
Finally there will be some point to enchant level 1 creatures. Yeah!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Test your Skills... Enchantments
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »
I feel that is something Arcane Wonders has said over and over again. It's a unique idea and I feel it's hard to get used to. The beauty of this new release is that people can play quicker games of Mage Wars if they just don't have time otherwise, OR they can shove these cards in to improve Arena. That "OR" is very important and will be a determining factor in Academy's success.

Another thing I've realized recently. Many people don't have the time to play a lot and that's a bummer. I can say personally, that I've become Sooo much better at this game in the past few months just because I've been able to play more. The learning curve is astounding... Academy may give many players the means to get more practice in. There are some different rules but you can definitely hone the basics.

Now we just need a good way to make an apprentice mode that's customizable. The way to do that which I thought of is to use academy spells and lv1 arena spells only.

Intang and coshade agreed to test it, but everyone else is welcome to try it as well. :)

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15604
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:27:42 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.