May 06, 2024, 09:03:41 PM

Author Topic: OCTGN Tournament: Thunderdome II  (Read 69901 times)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: OCTGN Tournament: Thunderdome II
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
What time is the match?  Can we watch?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
What time is the match?  Can we watch?

You can check out the action on Schwen's stream! It is commentated in German. Enjoy!

The match sets off in less then 2 hours!

http://www.twitch.tv/schwenkgott
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
There were 4 of us watching on Twitch, (and possibly more watching on OCTGN?). Jacksmack got off to a promising start with a [mwcard=MW1J04] Battle Forge[/mwcard] then [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] and a [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02] Blood Demon[/mwcard]. Charmyna opened with [mwcard=MW1J04] Battle Forge[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1Q22] Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard].

The game proceeded with Charmyna playing at least 6 armor, including [mwcard=MW1E36] Rhino Hide[/mwcard] and Chitin Armor and a [mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt[/mwcard], as well as a [mwcard=MW1E32] Regrowth[/mwcard] and activating [mwcard=WIZARD (EARTH)ABILITYOUTLINE]Voltaric Shield[/mwcard] each round. Jack swung hard, enchanting the Warlock with buffs and the Wizard with Curses, usually doing the 1 damage needed to get another curse onto the Wizard. In this manner, Charmyna was brought down to about 10 life remaining surplus to damage.

But Charmyna had cast an Iron Golem and enchanted it with Mana Vampirism (Corporeal Creature!). Putting it on guard at first was only somewhat effective as Jack played a [mwcard=MW1E28] Mongoose Agility[/mwcard] on his Demon, and then, when it was dispelled, had already prepared a backup for immediate play.

But in the end, not even Jack's well timed [mwcard=MW1E23] Jinx[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E31] Poisoned Blood[/mwcard] could stop Charmyna from stabilizing. Even negating Charmyna's [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02] Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] with [mwcard=DNQ01] Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard], didn't stop Balista, [mwcard=MW1J08] Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard] and the Golem from propelling Charmyna around the corner. Eventually, Charmyna ground out a steady supply of damage despite Jack's Armor, while continuing to heal.

Jack lamented his lack of [mwcard=MW1J19] Deathlock[/mwcard], a normal staple in his spellbooks, as Charmyna eventually put the game out of reach and Jack conceded. The game was played well with few rules questions (wait, Mana Transfer does what again?), and excellent sportsmanship from both contestants, with neither interested in taking back misplays even though the opponent offered.

It was very interesting to see Sectarus in action, as it's not a common play due to its high cost and reliance on doing damage, which was a liability in this matchup against Charmyna's Turtle style play with Armor, Vet Belt, and Shield. Jack would have likely done better against a newer style Weighted Wizard spellbook, but the old-fashioned-style combo of old, slow, and frustrating proved to be overwhelming. Eventually.
--

-- This report has been edited to include the Cloak of Shadows, which I forgot initially  :o --
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:33:29 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
Also, would it be possible, somehow, to put promos into the tagging system? Even if they're not available in the spellbook builder, it'd be nice to be able to annotate commentary in a consistent manner.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:28:52 PM by ringkichard »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »
very nice writeup Richard.

I agree with everything except the wizard tower. While it was still a card on the board that counter towards Charms domination, it had yet to get a spell off.

Its always intersesting to hear it from a spectators perspective.

I hoped you enjoyed the match, i did.

Good luck Charm :)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »
Oh, right! Because you played Cloak of Shadows! I forgot that part, I was working from memory. I'll edit it in. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:35:22 PM by ringkichard »

Hanma

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
I really wish we had more notice on this, considering all the matches will be streamed, it can be a pretty big advantage for people that have to play each other in the future for one of them to be able to watch the others game the opponent may not have been able to.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »
Hopefully all the matches will be uploaded before round 2?  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:47 AM »
For non-American players, those times could be sometimes deadly :) To be able to watch the match later would be really deeply appreciated :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:43 AM »
Every Game will be on Youtube. I'll post the links later
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
Alright guys here is the current matches planned! Feel free to check out Schwengott's stream for the European bracket or the Arcane Duels stream for the American ones. If you miss the stream check out the Youtube videos!

Today

7 P.M. German time S3Chaos vs Keejchen (That's in about an hour)

Saturday

Tomorrow 10 A.M. German Time Juli vs Halewijn

11 AM (utc-5) --> Shark vs Henry_Ketchup

*******Update************
Saturday October 3
6:30 PM (utc-5) ---> Airion vs Arxiducs
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:22:29 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
Vielen dank Schwenn!!!
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2015, 07:02:30 AM »
Quick report on my match vs Juli. (druid vs necro)

It all started out pretty basic. The druid casting her [mwcard=DNJ12]Vine Tree[/mwcard] and the necro using the [mwcard=DNQ10]Meditation Amulet[/mwcard], a [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] and  [mwcard=DNC19]Venomous Zombie[/mwcard]s. After this the druid sprints to the middle and casts a roused [mwcard=DNC06]Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard].

Both mages use their army to kill the opponents one. [mwcard=DNC21]Thornlasher[/mwcard]s and many [mwcard=DNC22]Zombie Brute[/mwcard]s started ripping each other to pieces. The venomous zombies got devoured by [mwcard=DNC20]Vine Snapper[/mwcard]s, etc ...

After a very long battle both mages end up at a different side of the Arena. The Necro only had 2 brutes left (1 eternal servant) and the druid only had [mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard]. The normal zombie brute was next to togorah and the druid, but both mages were depleted of all recources. No gunpowder left in them.

After this I stated that I would probably win, since I could still summon (almost useless) [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]s. Even without the use of the poison, they could still guard, use the web to catch the necro and deal 2 dice of damage. These spiders combined with togorah are stronger then 2 brutes. (even though 1 brute would live forever, since mana was no problem)
Juli agreed on this and we ended the battle, it could have taken a very long time otherwise. (I guess another hour or 2)

Knowing Keejchen is the master of surprise and my druid is not the best necro-killer I'll have to think of some brilliant stuff for my next match.  :o
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:25:19 AM by Halewijn »
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.