May 07, 2024, 08:41:16 AM

Author Topic: Damage Barrier Question  (Read 3125 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Damage Barrier Question
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
After seeing the newly spoiled Circle of Fire a question came up that hadn't occured to me before.  Does a Damage Barrier count as an actual attack?  Is it afffected by cards like Marked for Death, Counterstrike, Reverse Attack, etc?

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Barrier Question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
They only have 2 steps to follow when attacking: 1) Roll Dice and 2) Damage and Effects. They will not trigger another damage barrier attack or a counterstrike. (the creature the damage barrier is attacking)Traits on the defending creature can modify the damage barrier attack with traits such as Aegis 1, or a matching damage type modifier such as
Flame +2.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
Rulebook p. 31:
Damage barrier attacks always have the Unavoidable trait, and cannot be avoided by a Defense. Damage barriers are a special type of attack, and are neither melee nor ranged attacks. They only have 2 steps to follow when attacking: 1) Roll Dice and 2) Damage and Effects. They will not trigger another damage barrier attack or a counterstrike.

Traits on the defending creature (the creature the damage barrier is attacking) can modify the damage barrier attack with traits such as Aegis 1, or a matching damage type modifier such as Flame +2.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
Beat ya to it Gewar! ;p
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I actually remembered after posting that about the Unavoidable and no counterattack thing but I still appreciate the input.  I should have been more focused in my question instead of just typing a stream of consciousness because I don't think my true question was answered.  

Basically what I really wanted to know is if Marked for Death affected the attack made by a Damage Barrier.  Marked for Death says "all creatures gain +1 attack die when attacking this creature", so the question is, when a Damage Barrier attacks, is the creature that has the barrier making the attack or not?  

Sorry for adding a bunch of stuff in that caused confusion on my actual question, especially since I remembered the answer shortly after posting...  :blush:

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
From the rulebook.

"A damage barrier is a special kind of protection that gives a defender a “free” attack against every attacker that makes a successful melee attack against it. This attack occurs automatically during the Damage Barrier Step of the attack."

"the defender may make a “free” attack with the damage barrier at this time."

"Traits on the defending creature (the creature the damage barrier is attacking) can modify the damage barrier attack with traits such as Aegis 1, or a matching damage type modifier such as Flame +2."

Because Marked for Death requires a creature to attack, the rulebook makes it a little confusing, since in one place it says the barrier makes the attack and in another it says the creature does.
But since it does say that traits on the defender affect the attack, Iwould initially go with yes, roll the extra die.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »
The damage barriers does NOT gain a bonus for Marked for Death. This is now listed in the FAQ being posted tomorrow.