May 07, 2024, 05:14:08 AM

Author Topic: Do Multiple Battle Fury's stack?  (Read 7346 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Do Multiple Battle Fury's stack?
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
If I cast multiple Battle Fury's on a creature before they attack, do they gain the effects of each, or do they only get the one extra attack regardles of the number of Battle Fury's cast upon them?

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do Multiple Battle Fury's stack?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
off the top of my head i would imagine they stack.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
Not 100% sure, Ive wondered the same thing.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
I would suspect that they would all contribute the same effect and give you a single additional attack and not multiple additional attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
This is a question for Bryan or TJ at this point.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »
Battle Fury says:

"The next time this round the target creature makes a melee attack..."

So I would say no they don't stack.
Think about if you were to put a Nullify and a Reverse Magic on the same creature; they both have the same triggering condition and therefore must both be revealed at the same time.  You would then be able to decide if you are going to pay for one of them, but you can't decide to save one for later.

Battle Fury states that the triggering condition is the next melee attack by the creature, therefore all Battle Fury effects would occur at the same time, allowing another quick action melee attack.  But once you finish that second attack, there wouldn't be any other Battle Fury still active to allow for any more.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
Quote from: "Drealin" post=6495
Battle Fury says:

"The next time this round the target creature makes a melee attack..."

So I would say no they don't stack.
Think about if you were to put a Nullify and a Reverse Magic on the same creature; they both have the same triggering condition and therefore must both be revealed at the same time.  You would then be able to decide if you are going to pay for one of them, but you can't decide to save one for later.

Battle Fury states that the triggering condition is the next melee attack by the creature, therefore all Battle Fury effects would occur at the same time, allowing another quick action melee attack.  But once you finish that second attack, there wouldn't be any other Battle Fury still active to allow for any more.

I've been leaning towards this answer myself, and for the same reasons you listed, but I want to make sure.  There's an argument to be made either way so better to find out now than in the middle of a tournament or something  ;)

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response. We were discussing this internally!

The intent of the spell is that you can only use this once per round, the very next time the creature attacks.

Being able to stack attacks back-to-back is extremely powerful, and we've been careful to limit how players can do this in the game.

So the ruling is that Battle Fury will only give you one attack, regardless as to how many times you cast it on the same creature.

The reasoning we are going to go with is Drealin's (nice job Drealin!). We could have just errata'd the card, but I think Drealin's explanation is very sound: Regardless as to how many free attacks are acquired, only one of those can actually occur immediately after the creature's next melee attack.

This will be written into our coming FAQ - which is almost ready to post.  It is being finsihed by our legendary Alexander Mont!

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
I was reading this and just imagined how huge it could be if the Battle Furys did stack.  Here's what I had going on in my head:

Playing the Beastmaster, have a Steelclaw Grizzly pet, with Bear's Strength, in the same zone as my mage.  Throw two Battle Fury cards on him for only 10 mana.  He gets a full attack for 11 dice (7+2+2), then two quick attacks for 9 dice each (5+2+2).  That's 29 dice in one action, with Piercing +1.  Throw in a Tooth and Nail and you're negating the standard mage's armor.  With a little luck, you could end the game right there.

If I'm wrong about those bonuses, please correct me.  But if I remember correctly, since each attack is a new attack, he would get all of his melee bonuses on each attack.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
The card itself states the you get you get one extra attack immediately after your next attack.

The reason I would state they do not stack is that both try to resolve at the same time (after the melee attack is made) After one of the Battle Fury card has resolved the event that triggered that card has already passed (being the next melee attack).

I hope that helps.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=6511
The card itself states the you get you get one extra attack immediately after your next attack.

The reason I would state they do not stack is that both try to resolve at the same time (after the melee attack is made) After one of the Battle Fury card has resolved the event that triggered that card has already passed (being the next melee attack).

I hope that helps.

Yea it seems pretty settled with just reading the bare text of the card.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est