May 05, 2024, 05:55:13 PM

Author Topic: Highland Unicorn uses  (Read 3836 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Highland Unicorn uses
« on: July 12, 2015, 05:08:59 AM »
I've been trying to use the unicorn, but I don't seem to find a perfect fit. The charge seems in contrast with the regenerate. (charging away from the rest)

I could see him work with the beastmaster but then I have a hard time justifying the spellbook points.

How have you used him in the past? Could he be a decent holy avenger?

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Trent Magnus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Unicorn uses
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:47:19 AM »
It is true that the charge and zone regen seem at odds. If you are willing to invest, cheetah speed and mongoose agility will solve that problem by allowing him to charge back into the same zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
β€œIt is for some to command the forces of nature, for others to harness the primal forces of the elements, and still others to manipulate the delicate forces of life and death, yet only one controls force itself.” – Trent Magnus

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
Highland Unicorn is a little awkward for a number of reasons. For 13 mana, 9 life and 2 armor isn't that good. Sure, regenerate 2 is nice, but mostly on a creature that is harder to focus down in the first place. In addition, the charge +2 is at odds with the regenerate aura. You can fix that with enough additional investment, but is the total package really worth 23 mana to you? That's still only a 5 dice attack.

My feeling is that holy avenger is a good use for Highland Unicorn, since it already has the armor you need, but it needs a bit more health. If I were going to use it in a Straywood BM spellbook, I would make it my pet for much the same reason. Those are the 2 uses for it I see at the moment.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
The value is in the mobile zone regeneration and the sustainability. So if you are casting him, cast him for that reason. If you are a 5 dice attack on a durable creature, cast a knight/troll instead.

Unicorn is great versus idol of pestilence and somewhat good versus poison zone damage (poison cloud, malacoda, plagued, ect). It takes some smarts to use the charge well, but when you triple down with lion savagery and holy avenger it is a lot of fun to hit things (9 dice +2 piercing for only 2 mage actions and 22 mana i believe).

To get the charge to work, keep the things your enemy is trying to kill one zone away from the unicorn and make the unicorn go later in the round. This may require your mage to do some kiting. Enemy Mobility hindrances are twice as bad for unicorn users.

You can also use plagued on a friendly unicorn for some fun zone damage. it lets you keep creatures in the zone without taking damage. I wish plagued were cheaper to cast on friendly creatures as well.

If you are the priest, he is maybe the forth most popular holy avenger. regen2 with 14 life and 2 armor may make him too big to bother attacking. If you are a holy mage, he is the only in-school regeneration option. If you are casting more than 3 creatures without regeneration(especially asserian defenders), think unicorn. Regeneration stacks well with guardian angels heal2 and soldiers high armor.

If you are a beastmaster, the unicorn supports mobile swarms the best and makes for an ok pet. Doesnt not work well with ragers like the gorilla. If you tanglevine the enemy and give him cheetaspeed, he can move in and out for the charge bonus.

I think that, and the posts before me, cover everything.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
I've been trying to use the unicorn, but I don't seem to find a perfect fit. The charge seems in contrast with the regenerate. (charging away from the rest)

I could see him work with the beastmaster but then I have a hard time justifying the spellbook points.

How have you used him in the past? Could he be a decent holy avenger?

You should post your book up! I often find that you have to use the unicorn as a contingency rather then a main plan. You might be having problems because you are already accounting for most of the problems that the unicorn fixes in your book.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
I find the [mwcard=MW1C20]Highland Unicorn[/mwcard] to be very handy when dealing with [mwcard=MW1J11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard] and/or [mwcard=MW1J19]Deathlock[/mwcard] adding a [mwcard=MW1E05]Cheetah Speed[/mwcard] makes him quite the board traveler.

He also makes a mean Holy Avenger but most of the time I find that better players avoid him completely or Sleep/Banish him. As a Holy Avenger you are able to combine both the Charge and Regeneration...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
I like the unicorn, really I do, but the only thing I've reliably used it for is the mobile zone regen ability. And most often it gets played in my Priest or Priestess books, and it usually only gets play as a counter to IoP when I need to keep the clerics alive.
Not to be too much of a parrot as its already been said  it does usually need some support before it gets used for anything but a regen maker. Pet works nicely, as does holy avenger.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Regenerating Avenger[/spellbookname]
[mage]Priest[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a11]2 x  Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a01]2 x  Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]1 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWJ05]1 x  Mana Prism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]1 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c20]1 x  Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c19]1 x  Gray Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC01]1 x  Asyran Defender[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c06]1 x  Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c22]1 x  Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC13]1 x  Selesius, the East Wind[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]1 x  Divine Might[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x  Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e11]1 x  Divine Intervention[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e12]2 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e30]1 x  Pacify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]2 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x  Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q27]1 x  Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q03]1 x  Crown of Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q29]2 x  Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q24]1 x  Ring of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]2 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]2 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i16]1 x  Lay Hands[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]2 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]1 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i15]1 x  Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I was thinking using the unicorn as the holy avenger. At the start of the game the priest would be less agressive than most priests.
* Brogan is there for the warlord (conjurations).
* Selesius, just as the unicorn is a card that I really want to use but didn't find a fit yet. She is the best defence vs flyers and could push things away from the priest and unicorn (gives charge). Selesius hasn't too much health, so the unicorn could in his turn help her.
* Not much mana generation, so a mana denial deck could be his downfall. (mana prism)
* when playing a swarm build, the circle of fire and the double blinding flash is there
* you will be mostly mana limited so the crown of protection can be used as a cheap qc when saving up for bigger stuff.

I was thinking, since some people are predicting a horse riding ability for the paladin that the unicorn could be used as his horse. Maybe an ability where you mount your horse. Then the mage cannot take his own move actions anymore but you could move the horse and cast a full spell. That way the charge and the regenerate would combine perfect since they are always in the same zone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:26:39 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.