May 04, 2024, 06:52:48 AM

Author Topic: Multiple Counterstrike effects?  (Read 2580 times)

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Multiple Counterstrike effects?
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:10 AM »
I know a Mage can only have one Damage Barrier, but with the release of the Warlock Academy expansion, two new pieces of equipment seem to potentially stack.

Burning Cuirass (chestpiece): Armor +1 and first time mage is melee attacked in a round, attacker receives 1 direct flame damage during counterstrike.

Cloak of Fire (Cloak): Whenever melee attacked, during counterstike roll effect die. 7+ gives a burn condition to attacker if they don't have a burn already.

Now what happens if the mage also enchants self with Circle of Fire damage barrier on top of all this?

Does Mage pick only one of these affects to trigger during counterstrike step? Or will all three abilities go in a sequence where appropriate?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Counterstrike effects?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:46:52 AM »
In the rules for arena its specified that a creature can only have one damage barrier.

In regards to academy i think there is no such restriction.

So all would trigger. 2 in counter strike step and 1 in damage barrier step.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
All effects will trigger. There's nothing preventing multiple different effects to trigger during counterstrike step. The only limit during that step is that a creature can only perform single counterattack and those effects don't count as counterattack.
If a Warlock with Lash of Hellfire, Burning Cuirass. Cloak of Fire and Circle of Fire on himself guards and is attacked then during the Damage Barrier Step Circle of Fire will trigger normally. In next step, Counterstrike step, Warlock can choose the order in which effects affect his mage so assuming that Circle of Fire didn't put any burns markers on the opponent he may choose Cloak of Fire effect to be triggered first before making a counterattack with Lash of Hellfire.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
Of all the spells you mentioned only circle of fire gives your Mage a damage barrier. The cuirass's and the cloak's effects are not damage barriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Justin Emery

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »
What everyone replied with sounds correct to me.

A similar example I can think of is Helm of Fear for the Warlock. It's technically a defensive roll, but it never SAYS it's a defensive roll. It just works like one. So because it isn't labeled as such, I can always try to Helm of Fear, then if that fails, use a Defense item/Enchant roll on the same attack. (Rules state only 1 Defense roll per attack)
So the cloak and chestplate work in the same manner. It's faking a Damage barrier without being one, letting everything work!
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock