May 12, 2024, 09:56:14 PM

Author Topic: Sardonyx and Banish  (Read 3204 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Sardonyx and Banish
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:34:09 PM »
We had an interesting situation come up in one of our games tonight. Sardonyx was Banished. We were wondering whether the controller's loss of life continued while Sardonyx was Banished. We played that the loss of life continued, but couldn't work out the rules on Banish to be 100% certain. That's what it looks like in the Rules and Codex... it says "abilities that look for things happening in play... still work." We are just hoping for confirmation from our esteemed colleagues on this one.

We also got to wondering whether the controller of Sardonyx could voluntarily not lose life and remove Sardonyx from play, similar to a creature with an Essence Drain (for example) on it when upkeep is not paid. We are pretty sure that this is not the case, but also wanted to ask.

While on the topic of Banish, we also wondered whether hidden Enchantments on a Banished creature may be revealed. I don't think I can find anything on that anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sardonyx and Banish
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:27:07 AM »
Yes, if Sardonyx is banished you continue to lose life.

No, you cannot chose to "not pay" his upkeep. It is not an upkeep but rather an event that occurs during upkeep.

I've never ran into an instance where someone wanted to reveal and enchantment on a banished creature, however I don't think there is anything against that. I'll double check later.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »
This link should help

Legendary VS Banish
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:31 AM »
@Laddinfance: maybe to reveal a ghoul rot or a regrowth. Although these are not aplicable to Sardonyx.

To think of it. That's really a dirty trick to reveal a ghoul rot/death link on a creature to banish it afterwards.. :P No way to dispell it. (or ghoul rot after the banish)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »

I've never ran into an instance where someone wanted to reveal an enchantment on a banished creature, however I don't think there is anything against that. I'll double check later.

Divine Intervention can be revealed on a Banished creature to teleport it back into any zone in play.

(You could also reveal the Divine Intervention at the time of the Banish to cancel the spell, but this makes for a much more interesting surprise!)
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
wow... That would be an extremely epic move. Just when you think you are save. BAM, back and ready to attack anywhere on the board!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
A [mwcard=MW1I01]Banished[/mwcard] retains all attached enchantments. Enchantments have no range or line of sight restrictions for being revealed, only on casting, so there is nothing preventing you from revealing enchants on a banished creature. As Ringkichard stated, this could allow you to bring the creature back into play with a [mwcard=MW1E11]Divine Intervention[/mwcard].