May 04, 2024, 08:41:31 PM

Author Topic: Epic attack spells  (Read 4359 times)

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Epic attack spells
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
I have yet to see any but I do know they are out there, probably in some future expansion. I just wonder what they could be.

Here are some ideas that I have thought of.

Thunderstorm- the mage makes a storm that covers the entire arena and attacks everything. Conjurations can have effect die to see if they burn or not and cheaters stunned or dazed.

Lava- it gets thrown in a zone but instead of disappearing after the spell ends the zone then becomes filled lava for the rest of the game.

Tsunami- giant wave effects only creatures on the ground.

Any ideas? That's what I can think of at the moment.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Epic attack spells
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »
Tornado an epic attack spell 4 die attack with d12 effects 1 to 4 daze 5 to 8 double push and on 9 plus pushes directly into an outside wall for an unavoidable bash for 5 die instead of 3. Every turn it randomly moves into a zone using d12 roll for three turns.

Fissure an entire zone collapses and only non flying creatures are destroyed zone is unusable for the rest of the game (lava for earth school)

Volcanic eruption (fire and earth) choose a zone that zone and all objects in it are obliterated and the zone can not get used for 3 turns by any object. Next turn in adjacent zones add lava dealing a 4 die 5 to 7 add 2 burn 10 plus d12 obliterate attack. The next turn do a 4 die 5 to 9 burn 10 plus 2 burn attack in the zones up to 2 zones away from initial zone of volcanic eruption

acid rain choose three adjacent zones and do an 4 die 1 to 4 corrode 5 to 10 2 corrode 11 plus 3 corrode

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
All of those are really good ideas. I wonder what could be one for the force master?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
You guys have some interesting ideas. This might belong in the Creative forum, but I'll give my thoughts.

1) Thunderstorm: I like the idea of an Arena wide attack spell. I think that would make for a good epic attack.

2) Lava: I do not like the idea of a persistent Attack Spell like this. I think your idea would better be represented by a Conjuration. You conjure up a Lava Pool which immediately makes an attack against all non-flying objects in the zone and make the attack again during every Upkeep Phase or whenever a creature enters the zone.

3) Tsunami: The water school needs more attack spells, period. A Zone attack and a level 2 ranged attack are minimum for it to really compete with the other schools. I'm not sure from your description why Tsunami would require being epic though. Is it another Arena wide attack?

4) Tornado: Again I don't like the persistent effect, and I don't like how it arbitrarily changes the rules for Bash attacks.

5) Fissure: Another spell that is better represented by a Conjuration.

6) Volcanic Eruption: A lot of complicated rules to fit on one card and something else I believe would work better as a Conjuration.

7) Acid Rain: I like this concept.

When thinking about possible attack spells, remember that they are not objects and do not remain in play. It is part of their definition that they are immediately discarded after causing an effect. If you want something that persists on the game board, it is probably better represented by another spell type.

Overall, I like the conversation. Can't wait to see what other ideas are came up with.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
It wouldn't be epic if it wasn't strong and complicated

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
I would like to see a Dark attack spell.  Drain Life and Drain Soul both feel like they could have been attacks instead of incantations, so something along those lines, or maybe something like a magical biological attack that has a chance to inflict poison tokens on the target.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:35:36 AM »
Redemption from Heavens

holy school
zone attack
3dice  + d12 effects (daze, stun or/and burn) +2 vs dark creatures, unavoidable
friendly living creatures gets healing  (2dice each) and can take off one poison condition when pay it's removal cost.

or different version is that mage can heal that much as this attack deals damage

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
A set of war school attacks

Lvl 1 javelin strike 5 mana 5 die pierce plus 2
Lvl 2 arrow strike 9 mana 9 die Pierce plus 2 bleed on 8 plus
Lvl 2 arrow volley 10 mana zone attack 5 die bleed on 5 to 9 10 plus bleed plus stuck
Lvl 3 trebucket assault 14 mana 12 die attack 8 plus slam
Lvl 4 EPIC Indirect fire 18 mana  choose a zone and 3 adjacent zones 8 die attack on all corporeal conjurations and 5 die attack on all creatures 5 to 9 slam 10 and 11 stun 12 plus obliterate

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »
Tsunami- I was thinking arena attack, you would 4 dice 1-4 Push 5-10 Push and slam 11+ pushed two zones and slam a token.

Of course would not effect flying creatures.

Whenever I imagine epic attack spells I think of them as a double edge sword.

I was thinking of something like a force throw where you can throw a creature or mage in the opposite direction until it hits a wall with the passage block trait. But I can see that as a incantation rather then a attack spell.