May 15, 2024, 08:22:24 AM

Author Topic: The one that got away  (Read 3599 times)

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
The one that got away
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
So.. after a rather vicious fight with silverclawgrizzly.. I wanted to hear some from the community about those battles that you lost right when you were for sure you had already won or those that you pull out bloody bruised and barely alive.

With us, I have been trying to get back into the game after nearly a year out and fine tuning my Fml Warlock book.  It was me at one life left and SCG about 20 damage or so.  I managed to block, then guard with my nearly dead Helion (who died).  Teleported 2 squares.  Next turn, Fireball (he moves closer) step fireball.. and with the burn from the first i heal... not going to keep up but thanks to shenanigans on my part (and MEND, lord know the dark lady loves mend) I was at 3 live when SCG died to burns.

One thing I never do, is just toss in the towel.  Dice can swing for you very very hard and this time they did.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:44:15 PM by magerunner »

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: The one that got away
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
2015 gencon final match between me and hanma [edit: not charmnya]. i was sure i had it won when i had an easy kill shot. did not quite kill. sigh. barely lost on tie breaker. with very similar match between his friend and i in the qualifier round. i was at one or two life and managed to take out the opponent. another very close match.

and a qualifier match between me and sharkbait, 2014 or 2015, he had melted me most of the game, and with less than three life - i think it was one, i managed to turn the corner and take him out. very close match. renewing spring for the win!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:30:14 AM by zot »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
What's funny is I saw the Gen Con match, making me present for 2 out of 3 matches here lol. That wasn't Charmnya though Zot. I forget Nicks forum name though.

I've lost so many close ones. JasonbourneZombie was the guy that beat me thanks to a Decoy...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:43:25 PM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
you are right. i had thought it was. it was hanma.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:10:15 PM by zot »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
It's my lot in life to lose by 1 point of damage.  I had both the reigning Mace champion, drmambo and the illustrious Sharkbait to 1 hp at MACE and ended up losing the duels. These are only the two most recent examples.

My favorite turn around so far has been a 14 damage boulder to Biblo's face to win a match...that was a miracle.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
and a qualifier match between me and sharkbait, 2014 or 2015, he had melted me most of the game, and with less than three life - i think it was one, i managed to turn the corner and take him out. very close match. renewing spring for the win!

This one. So close  :o
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
Oh man I have so many stories of how I mess up.
My biggest problem usually is not securing a lead, it's finishing a game. It'll be like 5 damage on me and he only has 5 damage left to death and i'll just get lazy and just assume I'll win. I'll just throw that boulder with the assumption that it will win then it fails and I have no mana left to properly play the game, where if I would have just continued my normal strategy it would have worked out. A big lesson I need to learn is the game is not over until it's over.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
The 6 steps how I have lost many games:

1) I think what my opponent would do against me
2) I think about how I will have to react against that
3) See that it's very expensive and that it will delay me a lot
4) Think: "What the hell, that's hard to pull of, he'll probably not do that" and take the risk
5) Opponent does it
6) I Hate myself
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
One of my biggest issues is I don't practice long games. With the time limits of our local events I just practice to win in 60 minutes or less. I've been kicking the crap out of someone just to see it go to rubbish.

A good example of a tight match that I just didn't have the longevity for was a fight I had against Biblofilter after Mace this year. His Druid and my Straywood fought for close to 2 1/2 hours that saw both of our spell books almost emptied. I had a pretty good advantage on him but it slipped away once he escaped my horde of death.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
Damn, this stories should be shared while sitting at fire place with hot mead (or hot chocolate :) )

What i learned very fast in MW, is not to toy with your enemy and that a confidence is a two edged sword. Moment i want to end the game in "flashy" way, i loose most of the time :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Rinc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »
Ack, for me it´s the opposite. In a best case scenario I win 50% of the games when playing with 90 minutes time control (And still, thats a very optimistic win rate for me).

But, when we play the long game, I rarely loose. (With long game, I mean everything from 150 minutes to somewhere around 240 minutes when my opponents vital resources are already spent).

It might be that I tire when the game is rushed and then just throw everything at my opponent. If I roll good I might win, but most often not.