May 02, 2024, 09:29:21 PM

Author Topic: Faith Healer's Staff and Ring of Healing  (Read 4646 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Faith Healer's Staff and Ring of Healing
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
Can the Faith Healer's Staff benefit from the Ring of Healing?

The Ring adds one to the amount healed by a spell or conjuration, and the Staff heals during upkeep.

While the Staff is a spell, I am thinking that the Ring's mention of a "spell" is one that is in the process of being cast and resolved. Therefore I feel that there is no bonus to the Staff's benefit per the rules.

Is this correct?

EDIT: I guess my confusion as to whether the healing comes from a spell is that you spend mana to do it, but I don't see anywhere that you are actually casting a spell....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:53:28 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Faith Healer's Staff and Ring of Healing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »
Does anyone (especially anyone official) have any sort of an answer to this? I'll even take a "we're thinking about it" response....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:09:42 AM »
The staff stops being a spell after it is cast and becomes an equipment object attached to the mage instead. Remember that spells create objects, but spells are not themselves objects nor are objects spells. They just are both represented by the same card. So, no it does not itself meet the requirements for the Ring of Healing. The Staff's ability, then, does not identify itself as counting as a spell either, so it also does not meet the requirements.

So my, unofficial, answer is that Faith Healer's Staff does not benefit from Ring of Healing.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:28:24 AM »
I agree with Zuberi. Just to add something,

Text of Faith Healers Staff
During the Upkeep Phase you may pay  mana to heal a living creature in this z one the amount rolled on 1 atack die.

Text of Ring Of Healing
Whenever a spell cast by this Mage, or an enchantement for an object, other than the Regenerate trait...

Healing, that Faith Healers Staff is providing is an effect of that Equipment, not an Enchantemet or Spell casted by that mage. Completly different situation is when it comes to [mwcard=DNQ09]Wand of Healing[/mwcard], where there is actual spell bar called "Healing Light".

Profesor Zuberi is right most of the time (i dont remember when he was wrong), so you can fully trust his answer ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 11:30:24 AM »
I agree with Zuberi. Just to add something,

Text of Faith Healers Staff
During the Upkeep Phase you may pay  mana to heal a living creature in this z one the amount rolled on 1 atack die.

Text of Ring Of Healing
Whenever a spell cast by this Mage, or an enchantement for an object, other than the Regenerate trait...

Healing, that Faith Healers Staff is providing is an effect of that Equipment, not an Enchantemet or Spell casted by that mage. Completly different situation is when it comes to [mwcard=DNQ09]Wand of Healing[/mwcard], where there is actual spell bar called "Healing Light".

Profesor Zuberi is right most of the time (i dont remember when he was wrong), so you can fully trust his answer ;)

What are you talking about? Professor Zuberi is ALWAYS right.

I propose that it is possible to be ALWAYS right about a particular topic, but that the chances of someone being ALWAYS right about any particular topic increases as the specificity of the topic and/or the amount of dedicated study on the topic increases. For instance, I am always right about the topic of whether my shoes are tied or not, but not always right about how much longer my shoes will last before I have to buy new ones, and I don't even bother to pretend that I know anything about the possible chains of causes and effects which led to the collection of quarks that I mentally approximate as "my shoes" existing. But the topic of how Mage Wars rules work and interact with each other is much easier to predict than that, since all you have to do is play the game and maybe reread the rules enough times to get a very good understanding of it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:39 PM »
You overload my translation skills. So in selfe defense i will say that i Agree with anything you just stated :) It works for me fine in my marriage, why not on internet forums :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
You overload my translation skills. So in selfe defense i will say that i Agree with anything you just stated :) It works for me fine in my marriage, why not on internet forums :)

Lol! Sorry for being so wordy. Hope I didn't leave anyone TOO hopelessly confused.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
lol, you guys make me blush. There are actually several cases of me being wrong on these forums, but it does feel nice to hear such confidence in me.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
lol, you guys make me blush. There are actually several cases of me being wrong on these forums, but it does feel nice to hear such confidence in me.

There may be cases of you being incorrect, however this is not one of them. The staffs healing is not a spell. You do not "cast" that healing, it's a triggered effect that happens during upkeep. So, no the ring will not work with the staff.