May 20, 2024, 08:19:24 AM

Author Topic: Couple of questions from a new mage.  (Read 4089 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Couple of questions from a new mage.
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:26:38 AM »
Hey guys hate to keep posting rules questions but I'm trying to get real solid on the rules so I can get other people into the game. Couple of things that have come up

1. The Necromancer is immune to Ghoul Rot correct? It's says Poison on the card.

2. Can you Teleport further than 2 zones? Also if you're teleporting yourself do you need LoS to the zone you want to teleport to?

3. If I delay my initial Quick Cast, can I do 2 Quick Casts back to back during the Full Action turn?

Like I said I've been showing the game to some friends and these have come up.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions from a new mage.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:07 AM »
1. Yes, the Necromancer is immune to Ghoul Rot. Ghoul Rot has the poison subtype, and he has Poison Immunity. He is not a legal target for Ghoul Rot.

2. Using the spell Teleport, you can teleport another creature up to 4 zones (corner to corner). Casting it on yourself you can only move 2. You need range and line of sight to both the target and the zone.

3. If you have your quick cast available during the action phases, you can use it before or after any friendly creature's activation. This means that you can use it right before or right after your mage's activation, which would allow you to cast 2 spells in succession. One must be a quick action, but the other could be a full action.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:34:06 AM »
Hey thanks that really helped a lot!

1. Ok that's what I figured. If I put the curse on him with my Warlock though he'd still be vulnerable to Molochs Torment though I imagine.

2. Ok mechanically that makes sense at least. Gonna teleport someone to a corner now then immediately put up a Steel Wall around them. In fact a Warlord should totally do that then put up an Archers Tower.

3. Ok that significantly alters the flow of the game as my group and I were playing it up til now. That adds a whole new, and pleasant, aspect of strategy there. Really makes initiative important.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:36 AM »

1. Ok that's what I figured. If I put the curse on him with my Warlock though he'd still be vulnerable to Molochs Torment though I imagine.

2. Ok mechanically that makes sense at least. Gonna teleport someone to a corner now then immediately put up a Steel Wall around them. In fact a Warlord should totally do that then put up an Archers Tower.

3. Ok that significantly alters the flow of the game as my group and I were playing it up til now. That adds a whole new, and pleasant, aspect of strategy there. Really makes initiative important.

1) You dont. He is not a legal target and it will be discarded without effect when revealed because its an illegal play.

2. Its not possible to teleport corner to corner with a single teleport. the distance is 5 zones. The enemy must have moved 1 zone away from his corner.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »

2. Just to be clear, the target can be up to 2 zone away of you and the zone you teleport to also can be up to 2 zone away, which allow a teleport of up to 4 zone if you stand in the middle. Also, it would cost 30 mana (12 for teleport, 18 for double wall of steel) for a Warlord to do what you suggested. Bad move

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »

Just a word of encouragement. This is good lateral thinking, Steelclaw.
You never stated corner-to-corner so this is a fine idea concept in theory.
However, surely walling in enemy mage is the last thing you want to do?
Normally you wall in the big ground threat then beat on the enemy mage!
It is only delay so only pays off with say a horde of Zombie Brutes (Force Wave into a corner then wall in?)
Although with Zombies, a single Steel Wall is good enough delay

If you want to use a corner wall-in (as the Warlord), I suggest the opposite in your start corner
Grimson Deadeye + Hawk Vision (19 turn 1) + Archer Watchtower (4 turn 2) + 2 Stone Walls (14 turn 3)
You now "control" 9 of the 12 zones in the arena
With Kumanjaro, maybe delay 1 turn to insure investment with Regrowth (5, mainly vs. Pestilence) and upgrade to Steel Walls (16)
Grimson obviously aims at enemy Mage or flying threats (flyers count as range 1 in his own zone)

Whether you play your Mage inside or outside is dependent on your opponent's mage and perceived strategy

Against Forcemaster, I think I play inside the wall (keep it turn 3 Stone to break out)
This is because she cannot cope with your horde - but you need to delay to summon!
I would then summon Slingers if she is summoning Thoughtspores or Psyloks
A nightmare is Spore + Teleport so buy a Nullify for 3 points on yourself (then kill Spore with ranged units)
Alternatively Iron Golems + Helm with Charge could be built before she breaks in
As she will probably just Forcefield up and get to work on your wall with Galvitar (you have spares to QC)
Don't forget your Eagleclaw Boots before you face her with your charging Iron Golems (force pull that!)

Slightly off topic but I know about your Forcemaster woes...
In my experience, the Forcemaster dies to the Priestess (who removes Sleep at will)
Brogan + Bear Strength + Hand of Bim-Shalla (+ Healing Charm when fatal rolled) kills Forge and Forcemaster
Angels + Falcon Precision also hurt her bad
In addition, Holy has access to Daze/Stun that hurt her like Staff, Temple of Light, Light spells, Samandriel etc
(Plus whatever mage you play against her,always import Circle of Lightning on your mage, revealed after roll)
Though Forcemaster should now carry Healing Wand in off hand as conditions like Daze/Stun hurt her so bad
Just my tip for wiping that smug smile off the Forcemaster's face...
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice there's some good stuff. Last time I fought the Force Master I used the Warlock. Through VERY liberal amounts of Curses, Exploding her stuff, and oh yeah the Cloak of Shadows I was able to bring her down without too much trouble.

Right now my play group has a full set of all expansions, two core games(another one comes in Wednesday), and two additional spell books(the green and white.) So the two owners of the core sets are focusing on Beast Master/Warlock for myself and Preistess/Druid for my roommate. We have two friends who play daily who are focusing on Necromancer and Force Master/Wizard.  We have 3 more friends(one of whom ordered the new copy) who are getting into it as well so hopefully I can get experience playing against a wide variety of Mages.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Out of curiosity why would the Necromancer be an illegal target for Ghoul Rot? He's a living creature.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Out of curiosity why would the Necromancer be an illegal target for Ghoul Rot? He's a living creature.

Ghoul Rot has the "poison" subtype.

having any immunity means that cards of that subtype cannot even target you, cannot effect you and cannot deal damage or secondary effects to you.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Would a creature forced pushed through a wall of thorns get to use its damage barrier (circle of fire) 1 5 or zero times.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
Would a creature forced pushed through a wall of thorns get to use its damage barrier (circle of fire) 1 5 or zero times.

Passage Attacks from walls do not trigger Damage Barriers or Counter Strikes. (page 17 in rulebook)