May 07, 2024, 01:44:53 AM

Author Topic: Just wanted to say thank you!  (Read 8257 times)

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Just wanted to say thank you!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 10:07:41 PM »
Ha yea I just feel like people aren't thanked enough! This game has brought some great times and experiences for me and I know people are working hard on this game just wanted to give a shout out and thank everyone involved!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
Banana sticker awarded for uplifting the general mood of the forum through pure positivity.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 05:17:18 PM »
I think most mtg players would be more likely to want to play academy than arena though.

I disagree - MtG players will want to play MtG, not Academy...

Arena does something different, and thus has a niche. I and every Arena player I know is also an MtG player. None want to play Academy because it's no MtG. Only a tiny fraction of MtG players will want to play Arena, but it's greater than Academy I think.

Skirmish minis wargames is the most fruitful recruiting ground I think - look for Warmachine, Malifaux, players, etc...

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I think most mtg players would be more likely to want to play academy than arena though.

Arena does something different, and thus has a niche. I and every Arena player I know is also an MtG player. None want to play Academy because it's no MtG. Only a tiny fraction of MtG players will want to play Arena, but it's greater than Academy I think.

Oh welcome. I Guess I am the first Arena Player you know (at least in this forumworld) that is no MtG Player. I always was looking at it but was completely distracted by the collecting part of it. Just hated the idea of knowing collecting cards is a total rip-off, no matter how good the game could be.
But I feel also only attracted to Arena with its unique strategic depth.
Here is the point to say thank you myself! Mage Wars is a really awesome game and peaople are doing a great job creating and enhancing it!

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:13 AM »
- MtG players will want to play MtG, not Academy...

Skirmish minis wargames is the most fruitful recruiting ground I think - look for Warmachine, Malifaux, players, etc...

Take'em to church, everythang you're preaching is truth
Siren is so cool

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
Hey Zot thanks! I'm from Iowa and I checked local game store there all Magic players if I get a little more experience maybe I could demo there. I'm trying to teach some friends and get a possible small group going first.

Hey, it's great to see another player from Iowa! Though I think we're still 2.5 hours away. I bet my gaming group would be willing to schedule a short road trip if you and your brother were willing to drive somewhere in the middle- maybe Oskaloosa? We could coordinate a little mini-tournament. With enough advanced notice, I could probably round up 4 guys willing to make the trip.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
But academy does do something different than MTG. People just think otherwise because they don't understand academy. While there is some overlap, they're still different games. The reason MTG players are unlikely to want to try academy is not because the games are too similar to each other, but because they're kind of opposites. While they're both spell slinging card games,Mtg is for people who enjoy collecting and deckbuilding more, with its huge card pool there are so many possible strategies, and games of mtg are determined mostly by who did a better job building their deck. Mage Wars Academy is for people who prefer more tactical gameplay, and games are determined more by who played better during the game.

that being said, there are likely a lot of people who play MTG who only play MTG instead of something else because MTG is what they're already familiar with and what their friends play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »

Oh welcome. I Guess I am the first Arena Player you know (at least in this forumworld) that is no MtG Player. I always was looking at it but was completely distracted by the collecting part of it. Just hated the idea of knowing collecting cards is a total rip-off, no matter how good the game could be.
But I feel also only attracted to Arena with its unique strategic depth.

Then I can be the second player you know. I never played mtg and never will. I also think its a huge rip-off and based on conversations with other people the power creep seems way too severe. Old cards are even banned...

Secondly there is no positioning and you have to draw cards. I just hate drawing awefull cards that are useless during the game. I really dislike the drawing mechanic.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:37:55 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
Guys let's move this debate elsewhere. We're getting off topic to the original intent.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.