May 18, 2024, 06:08:38 AM

Author Topic: Sectarus the dark rune sword  (Read 11449 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Sectarus the dark rune sword
« on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:57 AM »
Hello buddies, i have a question, this weekend i play whith the dark mage, but im not sure if i play well this object.

Can i play a curse with this sword without damage any creature?
Can i play with my dark mage an additional curse if i damage a creature as a free action?

Thanks

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Sectarus the dark rune sword
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »
Sectarus says "is used to attack and damage a creature" So you must damage a creature.

And how it works is Sectarus is a familiar, meaning during the planing stage, you place a curse under sectarus and it cast the spell, not your mage.

Here is the rules for familiar just for some clarity.

Familiars are creatures that have the ability to cast spells. Often, these creatures can channel mana as well.
When a Familiar gains mana, place the appropriate mana counters on the creature. If you control a Familiar during the Planning Phase, you may select a spell for it to cast during the round.
The Familiar may have restrictions on the types of spells you may choose. Place the spell face down
near your Familiar, and tell your opponent that it is the Familiar’s spell. Only your Familiar may cast
that spell during the round.
When your Familiar takes its Action Phase, you may have it cast that spell. The type of action the Familiar
must take depends on the spell it is casting. The Familiar must spend any mana that it has towards the
casting cost first. If it does not have enough mana, you must make up the difference from your Mana Supply.
The Familiar is treated as the spell caster for all purposes, such as range, etc. You control all spells
your Familiar casts. If your Familiar does not cast its prepared spell,
the spell returns to your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase. But, if your Familiar is
destroyed before it casts the spell you assigned to it, the spell is also destroyed.

Hope that helps!
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »
1.  Sectarus must attack AND damage the target to play its curse.  So if the defender rolls an avoidance, has a block, or if you simply do 0 damage for whatever reason, the curse can not cast.

2.  If you have already used up the prepared curse, you are unable to cast a second from Sectarus as there is no way to prepare a second spell for it.  So it can only fire off once a round.  However, if you're first attack had been blocked/missed/0 damage you could re-attempt to cast the spell still on it with subsequent attacks

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »

ok, i understood, 2 parts in the text, one until the point that said that sectarus can cast curse, and second part the use of cast curse by damaging creatures.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »
The text was changed, this was a preview card that you have a picture of.

Here is the correct text.
Sectarus is a non-creature familiar, which can be used to cast only Curse enchantments. If sectarus is used to attack and damage a creature, IT may immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action.

Bold being the changes in text.
Funny, I knew the old text would cause confusion!
Within Shad0w.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
buuuffff an horrible expensive item!!! i thought it was the familiar of the dark mage equal to pixie and raven familiars, but its the worst.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
Yeah....it a bit different with the other familiars, in that you have to damage an opponent. I have yet to use it....
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
I've used it. It is actually the only reason I built and played warlock. I actually think it is better than some other familiars. Warlocks are frequently front line fighters. They are going to need a weapon. Sectarus is an excellent weapon in its own right that happens to give you a free action when you deal damage with it, something you will be doing as a warlock.

I can actually destroy the pixie or raven familiars for less resources than it cost to cast them, not so with Sectarus. I can at least attack with Sectarus the turn it is cast. I have to wait a turn to get any use from the other familiars. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sectarus.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
I agree with Tac.  I've used Sectarus too and it's very useful.  The combination of Battleforge and Sectarus nearly completely frees up the Warlock to do what he's best at; attacking.  It also has Piercing +1 and doesn't deal Fire damage, so you can't effectively counter it with only 1 piece of armor like you can the Lash.  And with the Ring of Curses out, it only costs 9, so you can cast it when you need to without having to increase your channeling or wait.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Sectarus does have limitation that no other Familiar suffers, and while its good in its niche it doesnt really fill the role of an independent free range casting source in the same manner of Fellalia, Huugin, or a Thoughtspore.   Its more of a weapon with a gimmick than a true Familiar, though when in a build to support that gimmick its debatably the best weapon in the game.

The new organized play kit does include a traditional familiar for the Warlock though, for people who want something that functions more like other familiars.   So by and large the complaints I had about Sectarus are minimized, especially since the two can be used in tandem.  Its a good weapon with a neat trick, but the archetype still has a "normal" familiar too for when builds arent specifically made to maximize Sectarus.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
I recently got the new Warlock familiar and on the face of it he seems to have a decent amount of staying power compared to others. Whilst Hugin etc are flying with dodge they seem to die instantly to any unavoidable attacks (which are easy to produce with the latest expansion) whereas the Imp has a decent amount of HP and armor.

With the Imp now in my spell book I'am even less inclined towards Sectarus, but it would be interested to use both to spout millions of curses!

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
I think Sectarus is pretty awesome.  I like to have both that and the fire lash at the same time in my spell book.  Most of the time I will use Sectarus first to really distribute those curses.  I can keep the mana on my mage to bring out that equipment and life drain spells as well as the direct damage from the curses.  If my opponent dissolves my sword then I'll replace it with the fire lash at that point to do heavier damage.  that is as long as my opponent doesn't have any fire resistance.  

I haven't seen this new familiar.  I've barely touched our first OP kit.  I still only have about 4 people playing Mage Wars here and no  show ups to the OP events yet.  It tends to take a couple of years for people in Wyoming to catch up with what the rest of the country is playing.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »
-Sectarus for me is just a back up for the Lash.
- I could not bring it out for its cost unless I play the forge.
- The Warlock Familiar promo is better (can't wait for him to be part of the expansion).
- With my Warlock being aggressive, I always get push away, teleported away, force held, tanglevine and all the other possible ways to push me, the Sectarus seems a waste for 10 points.

I used my warlock with all curses works well (2 range for all my curses). Just mass curses + mass spells + mass imps.

Mage Bane is awesome!!!
Burn is awesome as well.

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:31:39 AM »
but the forge is pointless with that sword.  With the forge it costs 10 mana, without the forge it only costs 9 if you do it right.  I don't think I would bother with the sword if i wasn't using the ring of curses also.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:38 AM »
You get to take some of that mana from the forge, so if you're casting an equipment every round, that's something of a wash. 9 mana from your mage vs 9 mana from your mage. Alternatively, you can use the forge to cast Ring of Curses, and then cast Sectarus with your quickcast.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster