May 02, 2024, 02:25:41 AM

Author Topic: Stranglevine  (Read 13735 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Stranglevine
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »
I would like to reiterate that I am very opposed to the aforementioned interpretation and do not think it is correct, but barring an official ruling it is a valid interpretation. Personally I think that changes to the variable have their own individual time stamps, meaning they are affected by finite life. But if other people want to play it as bypassing the finite life trait, I can't say they are definitively wrong, just that I believe them to be.

Sike did mention errata as an option as well though. So any way you look at it, he's not really wrong and his interpretation does make thematic sense.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 01:07:41 AM »
with finite life you "can't gain life", but allready gained life stays.
it seems logical that you keep your 2x life gained before the finite life but that the new counters don't affect the vine's life and only make damage to the target (here there's no more logic with the vine... but it's a secondary problem).

and...

when you destroy the deathlock... all the counters are still on the card so it gains all the pv it missed?
that's strange but seems right.
what about a bull endurance, can you put this enchantment on a finite life creature and it will affect it when the creature looses finite life?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 02:37:40 AM »
Indeed, that is how Bull Endurance works, and how I would currently interpret the Stranglevine. It all depends on how we decide to handle the changing variable though with regards to time stamps. Here is my original post discussing the possibilities.

Option 1 basically erases the past, allowing Finite Life to cancel all of the Life gained, past and future.
Option 2 is like a historical revisionist, rewriting the past and increasing a trait that already exists without the game registering any changes happening.
Option 3 seems the most likely to me. By having a separate time stamp for each change in the variable, we're able to keep past gains while preventing future ones, which is how Finite Life tends to function.

Also, to apologize for the confusion, although sIKE was advocating a similar effect in the end as Option 2, he was advocating a completely different mechanical route to get there by suggesting we errata the card to use the Innate Life trait instead. Which, I can definitely see merit in his suggestion, but barring errata the only interpretations I can come up with for the current card are the three mentioned and only the last one actually makes sense to me. If the others make sense to you though, I can't say with any authority that your wrong, only that the other two options seem silly to me personally.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 03:27:42 AM »
for me your 1. is false: finite life doesn't erase past gains.
if i understand your 2., it would gain life being finite life: false.
when all other options are impossible, the last one bla-bla-bla, so your 3. is my answer.

could we have an offcial statement?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »
What i believe:
Deathlock will not stop stranglevine from gaining life.

Stranglevine only gains its life once - when its summoned. Just like a creature which is also allowed to be summoned with its life despite a death lock in play, because the effect of deathlock takes place after its summoned.

Stranglevines life is at all times 6+2*X.
While X will change every upkeep stranglevine does not gain life every upkeep, its total life is instead changed due to the '2*X' it gained when it was summoned.

This is representing something that is growing and becoming stronger similar to the growth tokens, rather than healing wounds, or regerating or even stealing life. And apparantly deathlock does not limit the former.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:09 AM »
What i believe:

Stranglevine only gains its life once - when its summoned. Just like a creature which is also allowed to be summoned with its life despite a death lock in play, because the effect of deathlock takes place after its summoned.

While X will change every upkeep stranglevine does not gain life every upkeep, its total life is instead changed due to the '2*X' it gained when it was summoned.

This is representing something that is growing and becoming stronger similar to the growth tokens, rather than healing wounds, or regerating or even stealing life. And apparantly deathlock does not limit the former.

This is a wonderful description and thematic explanation for option 2 that I mentioned, proving that my preferred explanation is not the only one that makes sense to people. This really needs an official ruling. That's the only way to reach consensus.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 06:03:44 AM »
What i believe:

aha!
but, shouldn't be the vines life 6+2x? the life is 6 and it GAINS 2x, so i still think... we need an official statement!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 07:30:44 AM »
aha!
but, shouldn't be the vines life 6+2x? the life is 6 and it GAINS 2x, so i still think... we need an official statement!

It gains 2*X When its summoned which is before its affected by deathlock.

Just because X changes it does mean it *Gain* anything anymore. Its life is merely adjusted (increased) but the time that it actually 'gained' this variable life effect is still when it was summoned.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
Under the third option, I can imagine some measure of difficulty in remembering what the life actually is for a Stranglevine if it gained Finite Life. You have a certain number of markers on it, but you may wonder how many of those markers actually count in increasing its life total.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »
Under the third option, I can imagine some measure of difficulty in remembering what the life actually is for a Stranglevine if it gained Finite Life. You have a certain number of markers on it, but you may wonder how many of those markers actually count in increasing its life total.

I like this rationale for changing the trait to "Innate Life + 2X".

Keep it simple during game play.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 07:06:25 PM »
The intention during design was that Finite life would stop future life gain, but not past life gain. Unfortuneatly, I do not remember the reason why off the top of my head. But I remember the conversations about finite life and the vine. For rules purposes the best way to treat it is that when it gains a crush counter it is actively gaining 2 life, which the deathlock stops. I'll be looking into this guy more, and talking to bryan when he gets back.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
this issue never got completely resolved as far as i can tell. the card text was never altered, just ruled to work differently than it says it does on the card. did Bryan ever respond?

edit: nvm i understand the card text now and it's correct.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:39:15 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.