May 04, 2024, 06:16:26 AM

Author Topic: Priest Build  (Read 6029 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Priest Build
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »
Played a game with the stock spellbook with this guy and had a blast (defeated a Necro). Thought I'd try my own book. Plenty of healing and protection to build up an array of excellent creatures than march our way to the enemy mage and bash him in.

Attack
2 Pillar of Light

Conjuration
Battleforge
Hand of Bim Shala
Mana Crystal
Temple of Asyra
Temple of Light
Temple of the Dawnbreaker

Creature
Asyran Cleric
Brogan Bloodstone
2 Gray Angel
Guardian Angel
2 Highland Unicorn
2 Knight of Westlock
Royal Archer
Samandriel Angel of Light

Enchantment
2 Bear Strength
Bull Endurance
Cobra Reflexes
3 Divine Protection
Harmonize
2 Healing Charm
2 Nullify
Regrowth
Retaliate
Rhino Hide

Equipment
Crown of Protection
2 Dawnbreaker Ring
Dragonscale Hauberk
Elemental Cloak
Gauntlets of Strength
Regrowth Belt
Ring of Asyra
2 Staff of Asyra
Sunfire Amulet
Wand of Healing

Incantation
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
Force Push
Group Heal
2 Heal
2 Minor Heal
Purify
Teleport

I'm thinking turn 1 (19) Battleforge (-8) Temple of Asyra (-10)
Turn 2 (10) Deploy Crown of Protection (mana from bf) Harmonize Temple (-4) Mana Crystal (-5)
Turn 3 (11) Deploy Ring of Asyra (-1 with mana from bf) Cleric (-5) Maybe drop a nullify on myself (-2)
Turn 4 (13 ,5 on temple, 1 on BF) Now we're ready to rock and roll. Even if opponent is in my face I should be set up to deal with him by deploying armor or the Staff for my own bashing and summoning something tough. Plus with all the healing/regen taking a hit or 2 while I'm getting set up isn't a problem.

Comments/criticisms/suggestions are always welcome. Thanks!

edit: There are 2 Pillar of Light that somehow weren't in the original post
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:32:38 AM by sshroom »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Priest Build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Your plan seems very slow to me and I can't help but think the book is better suited for a Priestess than a Priest. The Priest tends to want to be considerably more aggressive than what you've described, at least in my experience. Still, your book has the potential to run faster than your suggested opening should you choose to do so, and that's a GREAT thing for a book to have. Multiple options and ways to function.

To start, I would not put down a double spawnpoint. Either go with Battleforge (my recommendation) or the Temple of Asyra, but not normally both. If you go with Battleforge, you might try rushing your opponent while gearing up your mage. Only summon one or two creatures for support, and then light their world on fire. If you go with the Temple, you can worry more about building up an army and there are multiple things your mage could do in the mean time.

As far as the construction of the book goes, you should definitely have more Teleports and possibly more Dispel and Dissolves. I would also include more Purify as I found out from Charmyna awhile back that they make excellent fodder to pop enemy Nullifies with. If you think your opponent has a Nullify on their creature, you can cast a Purify on it completely free of charge, no mana spent at all, and force them to reveal their Nullify. Overall though I think the book is pretty solid and versatile.

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
Hi Zuberi thanks for the comment. Yes my gameplan is to spend a few turns building.up before moving forward. Maybe it would be better to advance straightaway though the priest doesn't seem as well suited to hyper aggro as forcemaster or warlock since his basic attack is only 2 dice. I am curious what you think would be a good opening for this book if I do go aggro?

Re spawnpoints: it seems to me that they are really best played early so you get the most mana possible out of them. I'm trying to picture how the Temple of Asyra would work in an aggro strategy. I probably want to buff/equip myself the first couple turns as I advance. So now that I'm in his face I drop the temple 1 zone away from where he and all his creatures are where it can be easily attacked and destroyed? That seems a little weird to me. Maybe the Temple shouldn't be in the book if I decide on an aggressive strategy.

I like your idea re: purify and wil lfit another in the deck. 2 dispels and dissolves seems to be OK in our meta. More Teleport is always good but maybe for once I'll try just one for variety's sake. It's just so boring having to shoehorn these suckers into each and every book regardless of your strategy. Last game I had 2 and didn't play a single one.

Thanks again for the advice!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
My Priest build includes a Bear Strength or two for him and a Dawnbreaker Ring to get him up to 4 dice, if you want to hit a bit harder you can throw in Gauntlets for Strength for 5 dice then you get the Burn :)

You have these in your book already, so these should be what you should be suiting up with as you advance along with your armor. If you are going to go for agro, I do recommend that you might bring a couple of pieces of leather armor and try to always keep two pieces of armor on. I also like to carry a Storm Drake Hide for battles with Air Wizards, lightning stuns/dazes suck.

You should only bring the Staff out for the non-living or if you have a nothing better to do moment and have plenty of mana, so I would drop one of them. If you are going to go with only a couple mids you can also drop the Crown.

Don't forget that Hawkeye + Dawnbreaker Ring + Blinding Light/Pillar of Light = 4 Dice + good chance daze/stun along with +2 Dice for nonliving creatures.

Run your Unicorn as your Holy Avenger and make him Fast with Cheetah Speed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Matt.dog

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »
My Priest build includes a Bear Strength or two for him and a Dawnbreaker Ring to get him up to 4 dice, if you want to hit a bit harder you can throw in Gauntlets for Strength for 5 dice then you get the Burn :)

I run this setup also but priest does 2 normally, +1 ring, +2 bear strength = 5 + chance of stun, 6+ chance of stun with gauntlets, so your #'s are just low by one on the math if I've read this correctly, unless I misunderstood the ongoing posts.

I also run the staff which adds another 2 dice, so I was rolling 8 dice vs my g/f, had no battle furies, but a whirling strike i didn't get to play. Coupled with a 2 knights has proven devastating to all her druid monsters. 

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »
You are correct the Bear Strength gets you +2 Melee. The thing with the Staff is it will(should) get Dissolved very quickly and it is another spell you have to cast to get out.

So:
armor + Mana Crystal
cloak + BS
Gauntlets + Hawkeye 
G. Angel + Dawnbreaker Ring

Start the attack.....so from here it varies but get your HA out soon...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest