May 15, 2024, 02:49:02 PM

Author Topic: Casting conjurations and incantations 'through' walls  (Read 4256 times)

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Casting conjurations and incantations 'through' walls
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:45:58 AM »
Hey guys,

Is it possible to cast any enchantment, conjurations such as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] and/or incantations such as [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]Ignite[/mwcard] on the other side of a wall which blocks LOS?

Thanks
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Casting conjurations and incantations 'through' walls
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:40:22 AM »
Not normally, but Huginn and Thoughtspore can cast incantations over LoS blocking walls because they are flying.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
Hey guys,

Is it possible to cast any enchantment, conjurations such as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] and/or incantations such as [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]Ignite[/mwcard] on the other side of a wall which blocks LOS?

Thanks

I do not believe that there is any current spell that allows you to cast it without LOS. Some effects, like the Blue Gremlin's teleport, does not need LOS, however. If there is no "target" for the spell, and if the spell is not an attack (for example, which requires targeting), then I suppose that you could possibly cast without LOS.

In the case of things like Enchantment Transfusion, LOS is still traced from the enchanted creature to the new destination creature... even if not in LOS of the Mage who originally cast the ET.

Note that it sometimes can be advantageous to be diagonal to a target zone as the opponent will need two walls to prevent LOS. Also, as sdougla2 pointed out, flying creatures and creatures with the Indirect trait can see over walls, so they actually can have LOS when a "grounded" creature would not.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:52:10 AM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
Quote from: DaveW
If there is no "target" for the spell, and if the spell is not an attack (for example, which requires targeting), then I suppose that you could possibly cast without LOS.

I just wanted to stress that all spells require a target, as well as attacks. That's the point of the target bar on the cards. Even creature spells require a target. Then, as others have stated, targeting does require LOS and if you do not have that then you can not cast the spell. Nothing breaks this rule, but there may be ways to gain LOS over or past a wall so that you may abide by this rule regardless of the wall.

There are some effects that don't require a target or LOS, such as Teleporting, but these are different from casting a spell. Even if the effect doesn't require LOS though, you have to check whether the source of that effect does. The Blue Gremlin can teleport without LOS just fine, but casting the Teleport incantation requires LOS to both the creature and the destination zone because these are targeted by the spell being used to achieve the effect of teleportation.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:50:17 AM »
What about an extandable wall? For second wall, there is no need for LoS. Right? :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:39 AM »
You do not cast a second wall when you make use of the extendable trait. The second wall is simply placed as part of the cast action of the initial wall, which you DID check LOS for. It is in essence all one wall and you do not have to check LOS twice.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
At work, can't check, but I could have sworn there were actually some fairly tricky LoS rules for extending walls.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
You do not cast a second wall when you make use of the extendable trait. The second wall is simply placed as part of the cast action of the initial wall, which you DID check LOS for. It is in essence all one wall and you do not have to check LOS twice.

Page 18 of the rule book:

"Only the first wall must be within range, and both walls must be within LoS."
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
The first wall does not block LoS for placing the second wall, which can be an important consideration as well. I don't think that's in the rulebook though. I saw it in the rules supplement.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
My apologies. Adanaz and sdougla2 are correct. You do need LOS to where the second wall is being placed, but since it is part of the casting of the first wall, the first wall can not block that LOS (because they both come into existence at the same time).

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
On lunch and just looked it up. It used to be that you needed to place the 2nd wall so that the 1st didn't block LoS to the zone border. Looks like that changed in early 2014. Now the 2nd wall isn't impeded by the first.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.