Mage Wars > Spells

Why Jinx?

(1/3) > >>

fas723:
I would like to know why I should use Jinx?

To me it seems like a loss towards you oponent. He loses an quick cast action, so do you. He loses no mana, but you loses 3 (or 4?).

Shad0w:

--- Quote from: "fas723" post=1627 ---I would like to know why I should use Jinx?

To me it seems like a loss towards you oponent. He loses an quick cast action, so do you. He loses no mana, but you loses 3 (or 4?).
--- End quote ---

As a mandatory flip it is underpowered but can be used to end a game. For example if you have imitative your opponents health is low. So you jinx your opponent and they try to heal you flip jinx. Then kill them with creature because the heal failed.

piousflea:
Sometimes you have a temporary advantage and you want to prolong it as much as possible. For example, your opponent has enough mana to toss a Fireball and will finish off one of your creatures. Jinx may cost 3 mana (or 2 if you have ring of enchantments) but prolonging the life of a creature by 1 turn may be well worth it. Even if your Hydra still gets fireballed next turn and still dies, it gets in 3x3 dice of attacks before dying.

Granted, it might have been more efficient to use a Block on the Hydra. But maybe he wouldn't have fireballed your hydra, maybe he would have fireballed your Timber Wolf and killed it instead.

Ideally, you want to cause a snowball effect with Jinx. Because the hydra lives for 1 extra turn, it kills off his dark pact slayer. Because the dark pact slayer is dead, your timber wolf lives for longer. Swing of momentum.

Klaxas:
very well said.  jinx does have an element of time gained that cant be expressed just in the mana and action input/output.

Jon.Ambriz:
Excellently said Shad0w.

fas723, having a Jinx thrown in the mix has saved my Mage and my creatures on more than one occasion. The same could be said for Decoy. Granted both have a negative cost to you in terms of mana (granted Decoy returns mana to you for a net loss of 0 mana), the player, but what you are in essence doing is prolonging the game just long enough for the flow of battle to turn in your favor, and you've cost your opponent his action marker, or quick cast marker.

A good meta-game analysis that I heard Shad0w say at the demo Tournament this passed Gen Con was (and I am paraphrasing), "Always watch the tempo of the game. If your opponent is casting a lot of spell and has no creatures, work to stop his casting. If he is summoning a lot of creatures, work to stop the creatures."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version