May 14, 2024, 03:49:40 AM

Author Topic: Reel 'em in!!!  (Read 20540 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Re: Reel 'em in!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »
additional strikes follow 3 steps avoid attack, roll dice, damage and effects. since there is no declare attack step they are all counted as the same attack. hence only 1 counter strike/ barrier/ +melee.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Piercing Strike:

Target's NeXT melee attack gains the Piercing +3 trait.

It is only the first hit that gains this.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
double/triple make additional strikes not additional attacks. as a pose to battle fury which provides additional attacks.
 that's why your +melee will re apply with battle fury but not with double strikes.

rulebook page 22 "making an attack"
when you attack, you must follow these steps.
1 declare attack
2 avoid attack
3 roll dice
4 damage and effect
5 additional strikes
6 damage barrier
7 counter strike
8 attack ends.

the additional strikes come before the attack ends so it is all considered the same attack. ie you can't start your next attack until you end your first attack.

again as a pose to battle fury which starts a new attack, it won't get piercing but will get its melee bonus from all turn long effects.

if you were somehow able to double/triple strike a second time that turn then you would not get piercing without re applying it.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=8403.msg8483#msg8483

So, the Piercing applies to the very next attack, not a full attack action of multiple attacks.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
OK I understand the wording if the rule now. so the only way to get piercing on multiple attacks is to use tooth and nail and use whirling strike on an animal. that will get piercing on every attack. since t&n is only persistent piercing and only effects animals.(a serpent isn't an animal apparently)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
OK I understand the wording if the rule now. so the only way to get piercing on multiple attacks is to use tooth and nail and use whirling strike on an animal. that will get piercing on every attack. since t&n is only persistent piercing and only effects animals.(a serpent isn't an animal apparently)

thats how i understand the reply in that threat as well.
Tbh im disapointed that piercing strike didnt Work better,

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »
well as soon as they release a piercing enchantment the hydra might be a useful creature again, or they can just make it mediocre by changing piercing rules.

I should tell you that in my battle simulator the hydra still is the strongest dueling creature in the game. due to its 2 regen. even with infinite armour its triple will average 4.5 damage. the only thing that stops it is agony.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »
well as soon as they release a piercing enchantment the hydra might be a useful creature again, or they can just make it mediocre by changing piercing rules.

There is a Piercing enchantment in the Dicetower Promo set, but it also specifies that it only applies to the first attack each round.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »

There is a Piercing enchantment in the Dicetower Promo set, but it also specifies that it only applies to the first attack each round.

Oh look. Another case of Incantations being rendered useless by Enchantments that grant the same effect  ::)
"See you space cowboy..."

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »

Oh look. Another case of Incantations being rendered useless by Enchantments that grant the same effect  ::)

Nah, Piercing Strike is cheaper, novice, and not telegraphed nor dispellable/purageable.
I have the Enchantment version and still use Piercing Strike more often and in more builds.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »

Nah, Piercing Strike is cheaper, novice, and not telegraphed nor dispellable/purageable.
I have the Enchantment version and still use Piercing Strike more often and in more builds.

Whatever works. But I would still consider Falcon Precision to be better than Perfect Strike overall, for example.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
To get somewhat back on topic, I think the FM's most valuable tools for getting the enemy mage close to her and keeping them there are:

1) Force Pull
2) Force Hold
3) Teleport

Teleport is one I like to use when I have initiative and the enemy mage is 2 zones away. As long as they don't incapacitate you with their initial Quickcast, you can instantly bring them to you and whack 'em good with a doublestrike.

Force Hold is very effective. I like using it on an opponent mage who is on the edge of the arena. Why? That way you can really close in on them and cut off their angles.

And when all else fails, Force Pull works wonders. The fact that Force Ring makes Force Pull free is just icing on the cake.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
Tanglevine is a cheaper Force hold that I personally like more for the FM.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Tanglevine is a cheaper Force hold that I personally like more for the FM.

I did consider Tanglevine, but I like Force Hold better for a couple reasons (for FM at least). Firstly, I like to play "thematically" and use as many mind spells as possible. Secondly, Tanglevine is removed by being destroyed whereas Force Hold can only be removed by Dispel. Tanglevine seems easier to remove, and I like it when my opponents have to use a Dispel on Force Hold because that means one less Dispel can be used on my other enchantments. Tanglevine does have the benefit of being a Conjuration, meaning there is no real way to avoid it, but Force Hold feels "cooler" I guess. Finally, Force Hold is still pretty cheap, especially if you use Force Ring and Psi-Orb to cut down on your costs. Not to mention, mana isn't a huge issue when you're a FM that is usually casting 1 spell per turn.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2013, 12:42:28 AM »
Thematically, that may be better, but as to gameplay, tanglevine is often better to use. It's prone to being destroyed, but that is it's use. I would rather get a teleport out of someone's book than a dispel, as teleport is the stronger of the two spells. You can dispel, move, and attack with force hold. With tanglevine you either have to attack, forgoing your movement, or have to teleport, losing a teleport. Either of these options are vastly superior tempo wise than casting a dispel. If you are having to cast Force Ring and/or Psi-orb to cut down on costs, it is less efficient than than casting a single card that will hinder your opponent for a fair amount of time (a round at most), while you kill the opponent.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...