May 17, 2024, 12:16:13 AM

Author Topic: Conjuration Stacking  (Read 4103 times)

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Conjuration Stacking
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
So there's a thread on the Geek where someone asked if Conjurations bonuses stack. I replied that as long as the Conjuration was not Legendary or Unique, then it was ok. The counterargument from two different people was that you can't have multiple bonuses from a source of the same name. Now, I know this is true of enchantments, but I could not find in the rules anything about Conjurations. Basically, that counterargument is saying that stuff like Tooth & Nails, and Mana Flowers/Crystals do not stack, but I know that to be untrue even though I don't have a rules passage on my side either. Can someone official chime in either here or there? I'd like to know if I HAVE been playing it wrong.

Thanks

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Conjuration Stacking
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
Hi Mestrahd,

I saw that post too and was meaning to respond, but have been out of town doing Mage Wars demos. Thanks for your patience!

You are absolutely correct sir.  Those bonuses do indeed stack!

There is nothing in the rules that says bonuses from sources of the same name do not stack.

The rules say that you cannot have 2 spells of the same name attached to the same object.  Therefore you cannot have 2 Lightning Rings or 2 Bear Strengths attached to yourself.  However, if they could be attached, the bonuses would absolutely stack!

So, you absolutely could put out 2 or more Tooth & Nail conjurations,  and have the effects stack. In fact, we intended and were hoping to see some of that!

If you don't mind, please post that back to the BGG thread for us and thanks or the help!  :-)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
Quote from: "Mestrahd" post=2638
So there's a thread on the Geek where someone asked if Conjurations bonuses stack. I replied that as long as the Conjuration was not Legendary or Unique, then it was ok. The counterargument from two different people was that you can't have multiple bonuses from a source of the same name. Now, I know this is true of enchantments, but I could not find in the rules anything about Conjurations. Basically, that counterargument is saying that stuff like Tooth & Nails, and Mana Flowers/Crystals do not stack, but I know that to be untrue even though I don't have a rules passage on my side either. Can someone official chime in either here or there? I'd like to know if I HAVE been playing it wrong.

Thanks

A zone may never have multiple conjurations with the same name attached to it.

An object may never have multiple conjurations with the same name attached to it.

Each object or zone cannot have more than one enchantment with the same name.

You may not have more than one equipment spell with the same name attached to your Mage at any time.

None of these state you can not get bonuses from things with the same name. For example if you had an enchant that gave all other friendly creature in this zone +1 melee. Each creature with that enchant would share the bonus with all other friendlies in the same zone.

Upkeep +X
This object’s controller pays X mana during each Upkeep Phase or this object is destroyed.

Upkeep for example can stack if Mordoks Ob was not legendary and epic you could have 4 in play at the same time. Giving all nonmages an upkeep of +4

Regenerate X
This object heals (removes) X damage each Upkeep Phase. The Regenerate trait does not stack or combine with other Regenerate traits. If an object acquires more than one Regenerate trait, use only the highest one. The Finite Life trait prevents regeneration.

Regen on the other hand says they can not be stacked.

Channeling +/- X
Modifies a creature’s Channeling attribute by +/- X. Channeling cannot be reduced below 0. Modifies only existing Channeling, it has no effect an object without a Channeling attribute.

On channeling it does not state you can not stack the bonus. So as long as each mana flower / crystal is in its own zone you could fill all 12 zone with one of each for +12 channeling.

Here is another example. If Redclaw was not Legendary you could have 4 in the same zone each pumping the rest.

I hope that helps.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2640
Hi Mestrahd,

I saw that post too and was meaning to respond, but have been out of town doing Mage Wars demos. Thanks for your patience!

You are absolutely correct sir.  Those bonuses do indeed stack!

There is nothing in the rules that says bonuses from sources of the same name do not stack.

The rules say that you cannot have 2 spells of the same name attached to the same object.  Therefore you cannot have 2 Lightning Rings or 2 Bear Strengths attached to yourself.  However, if they could be attached, the bonuses would absolutely stack!

So, you absolutely could put out 2 or more Tooth & Nail conjurations,  and have the effects stack. In fact, we intended and were hoping to see some of that!

If you don't mind, please post that back to the BGG thread for us and thanks or the help!  :-)

Again sniped by Byran. :lol:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
also, generally traits with a +/- stack, traits without do not.

Hedge

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »
Ha!  Sorry Shadow.  Been so busy lately, have a hard time posting.  Just flying back from PHD show in Florida today, running demos of Mage Wars for retailers.

You've done a fantastic job Shadow and we are all very thankful you are on the team sir!

Btw, great additional note Hedge!

meepleman

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:25:43 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2642

An object may never have multiple conjurations with the same name attached to it.

Quick question, could 4 separate Hand of Bim-Shalla temples heal 4 damage on the same creature at once? For the heal effect it doesn't use the +/- that Hedge pointed out, but says "heal 1". We've been playing that 4 Hands could indeed heal 4 damage on the same creature at once.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
Quote from: "meepleman" post=7897
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2642

Quick question, could 4 separate Hand of Bim-Shalla temples heal 4 damage on the same creature at once? For the heal effect it doesn't use the +/- that Hedge pointed out, but says "heal 1". We've been playing that 4 Hands could indeed heal 4 damage on the same creature at once.

I essence, yes.
Technically you would activate each one, one at a time, but as long as it is before or after a friendly creatures turn, you can activate as many as you have.

meepleman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
ok great thx!