May 15, 2024, 02:48:39 PM

Author Topic: LoS+Wall+0-3 ranged attack  (Read 3612 times)

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
LoS+Wall+0-3 ranged attack
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
is it possible for a wizard hidden behind a wall to cast thunderbolt(0-3 ranged) on a target behind a single wall?

note the the LoS is blocked on the adjacent zone issue.

thx

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: LoS+Wall+0-3 ranged attack
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:06:36 AM »
Quote from: "Deatheux" post=7527
is it possible for a wizard hidden behind a wall to cast thunderbolt(0-3 ranged) on a target behind a single wall?

note the the LoS is blocked on the adjacent zone issue.

thx

My understanding of walls and LoS is that if the target is within range, yet you can't draw an uninterrupted straight line without going through a zone edge with a wall, then you don't have LoS (unless the wall allows LoS of course).
I assume by this question you're asking if you can 'bend' the spell (in a horseshoe shape) to hit the target.  Spells go in straight lines, so nope.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
From Rule book 2.0 page 17

Line of Sight
In order to cast a spell or make a ranged attack against a target, you must have a clear “line of sight”
(called “LoS” for short). Normally, a creature has LoS to the entire game board, even into zones that
are out of range. But, some walls block LoS. You cannot cast a spell or make a ranged attack through
a wall that blocks LoS. When you count range to your target, you must also check if you have clear line of sight (LoS). Draw an imaginary straight line from the center of your creature’s zone to the center of the target’s zone. LoS is blocked if the line crosses through a zone border that has a wall on it with the blocks LoS trait. Walls do not normally block LoS if the line crosses diagonally through the corner of a wall border, as long as at least one side of that corner does not block LoS
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
yeah talking about the horseshoe.

despise looking in the rule book, thing that i do many many many times BEFORE playing, and while playing, i prefer to have a YES or NO in reply than the rule that i just read and ask a question on. next time i will copy the rule THEN ask my question to avoid this trash replyes. Or if the rules is reffered, completing the reply with the official yes or no would be appreciated and showing a bit of devotion.

Thanks for the intension, sorry, don't wanna be rude in any ways.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »
Short answer is no.

You must have line of sight to the target of any spell being cast.
Line of sight is determined by drawing a straight line from the center of the zone that the caster is in to the center of the zone the target is in.
If this line passes through a wall that blocks LoS then you can't cast the spell.

Conjurations, and some spells, that affect the entire board (all Conjurations affect the entire board by default), don't need LoS.

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
i really enjoy and appreciate the short & quick answers. thank you!

then i suppose that a moderator will officialize this.