May 02, 2024, 12:20:52 AM

Author Topic: Basilisk Animal?  (Read 6577 times)

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Basilisk Animal?
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »
so i looked at stone gaze basilisk the other day while building my beastmaster book and thought it would be nice to add him because i have very limited ranged attack options. to my surprise he is not in fact an animal. is this correct or is it a error? seems off to me if he isn't.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Basilisk Animal?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »
It is a reptile as opposed to an animal. So cold-blooded as opposed to warm-blooded. It is also an Arcane creature and not a natural one so perhaps it isn't a real animal but an artificially created on or a mythical one instead of a naturally occurring creature that a Beastmaster would summon
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
Personally, I don't feel like the Basilisk should be considered an animal since basilisks aren't really animals.  However, I don't like that they classified him as Reptile, Lizard as opposed to Animal, Lizard because lizards are reptiles and reptiles are animals.  I think that's a bit silly.  I also think it's a little inconsistent that the Highland Unicorn is considered an animal and not the Basilisk.  But perhaps it has to do with their world lore and we just don't know it yet.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »
see that is the thing.

the emerald tengu is an animal and a reptile so that is not it.

the unicorn is a animal and a mythical/mystical creature so that is not it either.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:26 AM »
Simplest way to explain it is that an "animal" as defined in MageWars is a naturally occuring thing, things like the Basilisk or the Hydra are supernatural in origin and therefore not an animal.

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Then why is a Unicorn an animal?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Unicorn may not have a super natural origin. All I can say is I do not remember it being listed in the story guide
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

klempad

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
I would point out from looking at the cards that the Tegu and unicorn are summoned with the Nature school and are designated animals. The Basilisk (and Hydra and Mana Leech) are summoned with the Arcane school, and are not designated animals.

The story text fo the Wizards says “You have seen our accomplishments. Fantastic creatures of our own design fill your menageries." It makes sense to me that they are not animals

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
Quote from: "klempad" post=6900
I would point out from looking at the cards that the Tegu and unicorn are summoned with the Nature school and are designated animals. The Basilisk (and Hydra and Mana Leech) are summoned with the Arcane school, and are not designated animals.

The story text fo the Wizards says “You have seen our accomplishments. Fantastic creatures of our own design fill your menageries." It makes sense to me that they are not animals

The Unicorn is a Holy spell not a Nature one.  I also remember at one point reading that they decided on what type of thing each spell is, is to determine how they interact with other spells, not so much about realism.

CanadianMohawk

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:07 AM »
So it's not an animal then?

This seems pretty weak to me since it is a Reptile and according to Animal Kinship, a Reptile is an Animal.

Animal Kinship

As long as you control any of these animal creatures , your Mage gains these traits and abilities: Canine = Melee +1, Reptile = Armor +1, Bear = Tough -2, Ape = Climbing, Cat = Elusive.

Stonegaze Basilisk

Type: Creature: Reptile, Lizard

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
Reptiles can be animals Basilisk is not an animal. Unless it was changed in the FAQ but I do not  think it was.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
How does Elusive work?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »
Elusive creatures may ignore guards and are not hindered by opposing creatures.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:42 PM »
Quote from: "CanadianMohawk" post=10850
So it's not an animal then?

This seems pretty weak to me since it is a Reptile and according to Animal Kinship, a Reptile is an Animal.

Animal Kinship

As long as you control any of these animal creatures , your Mage gains these traits and abilities: Canine = Melee +1, Reptile = Armor +1, Bear = Tough -2, Ape = Climbing, Cat = Elusive.

Stonegaze Basilisk

Type: Creature: Reptile, Lizard

This simply means that to trigger Kinship, a creature must have BOTH subtypes of Animal and Reptile, not that Reptile implies Animal.  So, if Im reading right a Basilisk wouldn't actually grant the Kinship ability.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
1 banana sticker - (if it was not changed in the FAQ. It would not count.)