May 02, 2024, 04:34:43 AM

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 3745 times)

Darksoul

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
So I have a couple questions that kind of stack on top of each other.
1: The Beastmaster activates the ability on his Staff of Beasts that had previously been played. There was a Jinx enchantment on the Beastmaster cast by the Wizard. Would Jinx activate?

2: If it activates, would the Staff of Beasts be returned to the Beastmaster's spellbook?

3: If it is returned to the spellbook, would the Beastmaster regain 2 mana for the ability on the Staff of Beasts, or 7 mana for the casting of Staff of Beasts in general?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
1) I can't see anything that would prohibit Jinx from activating. Staff of Beasts specifically calls the action a quick spell

2) I would think not since it is not the spell being cast. The action would be cancelled and the mana returned to the caster but the Staff of Beasts spell was cast and completed before Jinx triggers.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »
Hmmm, I suspect that according to the letter of the rule, Pixel has it right!

However for the sake of arguement and spirited debate, this is one of those instances in which I wonder if the difference between quick action vs quick spell should be evaluated?

I mean is the beastmaster activating a power of the staff (an action) or acutally casting a spell through the staff (a spell). When a warlock attacks with a lash of fire is that an action or a spell?

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
The way I understand it, anytime that your Mage does something, it's your Mage who is doing it.  Even if technically your Mage is activating a piece of equipment, and that equipment is the thing that is technically doing the action, the game see's it as your Mage doing it himself.
Equipment simply gives your Mage new powers/abilities/spells that your Mage does, the equipment doesn't do anything itself and serves as a visual of how your mage has improved himself, as far as the game play goes that is.